Sponsored by: Moser

after market AC

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 02:49 AM
gstirewalt
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
after market AC

Some I know the total wrong time of year but it where I am with the project. I am looking at replacement AC\heat options for our 1974 f100 390 it is a non AC Cab and tore down and returned from paint with the dash out I plan to order the march supentine set March Performance - Ford FE : Ultra

I was looking at vintage air and it look to be about the best out there have anyone installed one in a dent or used a different setup. Here is the state of the truck now

Old 12-02-2016, 10:33 AM
axelgawn
Senior User
Wow great paint! How long did that take and if you don't mind me asking how much did it cost?

Old 12-02-2016, 10:35 AM
axelgawn
Senior User
As far as AC I know a company out of Ocala Florida that offers what you are looking for. It's called nostalgic AC. I am in GA so I am definitely doing it at some point in time.

Old 12-02-2016, 10:46 AM
resonateur
Fleet Mechanic
Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts

Walt:
I'm putting a vintage air unit in my 666 F-250. I am happy so far with the apparent quality, but undergoing restoration, I haven't run it yet. I'm not using the pre-fit set up because I don't like the black abs strip that sits under the dash...I think it looks cheap. So, I am buying the components individually and have run the controls and louvers into the dash instead. What you see in the photo, under the dash is Vintage Air's "mid" size unit.

Old 12-02-2016, 06:30 PM
EP145
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi, I used the vents from the Nostalgic Air because they have ones that look like factory and used Vintage air for the rest of the AC heater. The Nostalgic has a good AC but the heater isn't doesn't work so well. If you look at my build I have pictures https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-efi-swap.html And Vintage has been around for years and the controls work like new factory vehicles.

Old 12-02-2016, 09:46 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Go here http://nostalgicac.com/complete-ac-kits/ford-complete-kits/ford-ac-kits-for-trucks.html

Old 12-03-2016, 06:42 AM
ronspolv
Senior User
I installed a Nostalgic Air AC only unit in my 78 F250, it fit well and worked great. You do need the dash out to install it, the instructions say to just pivot the dash up and slide the unit on top of the factory heater but I really don't see that happening.

Old 12-03-2016, 04:41 PM
gstirewalt
Senior User
Thanks

The piant and body work was about 7500 paint alone was 5000 had it done by a shop in Elk Grove Ca they use Valdpar products it's a black cherry that we teamed a little to make sure it flops on the red side

thanks for all the info I think we go with vintage air unit to get the heat to the floor and the vent from nostalgia air the dash is still out as I need to install the America wire kit

Old 12-03-2016, 07:46 PM
bryanmartin
Elder User
I did a Vintage Air setup in mine, haven't run it yet as it's also a full build. I can answer any questions about fitment/installation though if you decide to go that route.

Old 12-03-2016, 10:24 PM
gstirewalt
Senior User
Originally Posted by bryanmartin
I did a Vintage Air setup in mine, haven't run it yet as it's also a full build. I can answer any questions about fitment/installation though if you decide to go that route.
Thanks I will take you up on it. what did you order as far as under the hood. I replacing the radiator with a aluminum, installing a the mark 7 dual fan. So any help on what condenser dryer and plumbing would be great. don't think I am going to use the stock vents especially seeing the photo on this thread and the links.

Old 12-04-2016, 06:18 PM
PapaBearYuma
Cargo Master

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by resonateur

Good thing you included the second picture as I was thinking your radio had unnaturally large *****!

Old 12-04-2016, 09:21 PM
bryanmartin
Elder User
Originally Posted by gstirewalt
Thanks I will take you up on it. what did you order as far as under the hood. I replacing the radiator with a aluminum, installing a the mark 7 dual fan. So any help on what condenser dryer and plumbing would be great. don't think I am going to use the stock vents especially seeing the photo on this thread and the links.
I built the system around a Gen II ComPac (p/n 68000-VUZ-A) This was the largest evaporator that I could fit behind the dash. Up front I went with the Monster SuperFlow Condenser (p/n 037030-OVR), and connected that to the Standard Drier with Trinary Switch (p/n 07323-VUC). You should be able to find a compressor and bracket that fits your engine, I used the factory compressor that came on my Cummins swap engine. Because of that, my plumbing will be slightly different from what you need as well, but only in terms of lengths and fitting angles.

I also used these ProLine Venturi Louvers (p/n 49212-VUQ), pictured on the left side of the gauge bezel. They look like a little throttle butterflies.

Old 12-05-2016, 12:20 AM
gstirewalt
Senior User
Thanks for the info. Dang now I have to try to duplicate your dash bezel. frame?

Old 12-05-2016, 01:28 AM
bryanmartin
Elder User
Originally Posted by gstirewalt
Thanks for the info. Dang now I have to try to duplicate your dash bezel. frame?
You are certainly welcome to. Here is the "behind the scenes" on the build:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-build-24.html
Continues on the next page too.

Old 12-05-2016, 09:18 AM
axelgawn
Senior User
My truck is freshly painted. We sanded it down to bare meal and sealed the cab. However, I am putting a crate motor and a 4r70w transmission in it. Paint and body was only 3300 but that's because I did a lot of prep work and had it done by a friend and not a shop. My heater works so I was just going to add the air only kit to my factory heat only truck.

Quick Reply: after market AC