2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Dedicated snow tire suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 11:37 PM
coolidge54
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dedicated snow tire suggestions?

Okay lets here from you people in the snow regions like Wyoming, Colorado, Minnesota what's the best snow tire? I'm talking dedicated for snow/winter I'll take them off in the spring.

Old 11-26-2016, 11:45 PM
AK_SuperDuty
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by coolidge54
Okay lets here from you people in the snow regions like Wyoming, Colorado, Minnesota what's the best snow tire? I'm talking dedicated for snow/winter I'll take them off in the spring.
You looking for studded or non-studded?

Old 11-26-2016, 11:48 PM
Vole
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, not Wyoming or Colorado, but I hope you will take advice from Labrador. You know... we have proper winter here ;-)

I don`t really know why you posted it in the 2017 section, but anyway, I just purchased new set of winter tires for my 2006 F250 ( in October ) and super happy with the KO2 so far. We had some snow already, but nothing serious. Will have much more snow soon, so I will see how they perform in 1+ foot snow and ice.

They are dedicated winter tires, not usual all seasons, but you can use them all year long. These BFGs are awesome.

Old 11-27-2016, 07:50 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
I've always run Nokian Hakkapeliita LT2 tires. They can be studded or not and are the correct load rating for an HD truck. Studs tend to kick out; I'd go unstudded next time. Location: rural central NH.

Old 11-27-2016, 07:52 AM
Rasty1
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The goodyear OWL I ordered on my SD have been in snow and with it in 4wd High and the rear end locked was like being on pavement

Old 11-27-2016, 08:27 AM
Siriustoo
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Snow tires

I had Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT2 studded on my F-150. The only snow tire I have had in over 30 years that performs well in both snow AND ice. I can't say enough good things about this tire, just wish they were $100 a tire less.
I will be getting them for my F-350 if there is still enough winter left when it arrives. In 4WD they plow through 2' of snow with no problems.
I have not had problems with studs kicking out. You have to be real careful in the first couple 100 miles until the studs seat. I tend to go easy on the throttle off the line in the winter just to be sure.
I'm looking for rims for my F-350. I've read here and other places that the F-250 and F-350 rims are interchangable, however there is another thread that says the centre on the F-350 is larger for 20". I'm looking for 18" rims. Is it safe to assume that the recent F-250 18" rims will work on a '17 F-350?

Old 11-27-2016, 09:31 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,693 Likes on 2,750 Posts
Bridgestone Blizzak for two reasons:
1. I run them on my wife's minivan and the kids Subaru. Very surefooted, great braking and cornering.
2. There are far more Bridgestone dealers than some of the other brands of ice/snow tires you'll hear recommendations for.

I have Toyo Open Country G02+ ice/snow tires on my current 1/2 ton. They are very good, as good as the Blizzaks. But dealers for Toyo can be hard to come by. I had to order mine off the Internet.

Old 11-27-2016, 10:01 AM
Florit17
Mountain Pass
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by HRTKD
Bridgestone Blizzak for two reasons:
1. I run them on my wife's minivan and the kids Subaru. Very surefooted, great braking and cornering.
2. There are far more Bridgestone dealers than some of the other brands of ice/snow tires you'll hear recommendations for.
I'll second the Blizzak's for durability & traction on ice and yet they still seem to do decent in the snow. I have never ran them on my trucks, but I have had them on my wife's Sequoia and my sons Subaru.
It's been a long time since I've ran a dedicated snow tire on my truck. I usually run whatever tires I choose (usually siped AT's) year round, and replace them before winter if they are even remotely marginal on wear.

Old 11-27-2016, 10:04 AM
landscapeguy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I operate a snow removal business in the winter months and have tried pretty much every AT tire for plowing, and none of them are even close to the Firestone winter force Lt tire. So far it's been the best performing winter tire I've tried, although I have heard the Nokian tires trover recommended are better, but more expensive.

I have two sets of the winter force currently, one studded, and one not. Honestly for normal driving they are about the same traction-wise, but I like the extra peace of mind having the studs wondering if I'm about to cross some black ice.

PS, the people saying at tires are just as good have never actually had a true winter tire in bad conditions

Old 11-27-2016, 10:27 AM
Sleepyguy
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by troverman
I've always run Nokian Hakkapeliita LT2 tires. They can be studded or not and are the correct load rating for an HD truck. Studs tend to kick out; I'd go unstudded next time. Location: rural central NH.
I live in Alberta and most of the rig fleet trucks run nokians. Generally speaking we have snow 6-8 months a year although lately global warming is helping.

They are considered the best out here studded or not.

Old 11-27-2016, 10:32 AM
AK_SuperDuty
Elder User
I've run cooper discoverer MS, mastercraft courser msr, bridgestone blizzack, firestone winterforce, and nokian's over the years. Nothing compares to the Nokians. In fact, it isn't even close. But the nokians in the past have always been studded. I put a set of Nokian Rotiiva AT plus on my F150 this fall and they have been amazing on snow and ice here in Alaska so far this winter. I have a set of Rotiiva AT plus waiting for my 2017 F350 when it arrives. With that said, the Rotiiva's will be year round tires, not winter dedicated. You can't beat the Nokian LT2 tires for winter only tires.

Old 11-27-2016, 10:35 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by Sleepyguy
I live in Alberta and most of the rig fleet trucks run nokians. Generally speaking we have snow 6-8 months a year although lately global warming is helping.

They are considered the best out here studded or not.
They are great. Only snow tire that is better or equal in my experience is the Blizzak. Others have recommended it but alas, they don't make any with the load capacity for a Super Duty. DMV1 is excellent.

Old 11-27-2016, 11:03 AM
airm4n
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Nokian Hakkepelitta LT2. I run them on our 2016 f150 and 2011 f350. If going studded I would get them. If non studded I would go with the Michelin xice2 which I believe they make in a truck tire as well. Some guys around here run them.

Old 11-27-2016, 11:11 AM
coolidge54
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by troverman
They are great. Only snow tire that is better or equal in my experience is the Blizzak. Others have recommended it but alas, they don't make any with the load capacity for a Super Duty. DMV1 is excellent.

That was going to be my next question, which of these are loaded rated for an F350 thanks.

Old 11-27-2016, 11:15 AM
AK_SuperDuty
Elder User
Originally Posted by coolidge54
That was going to be my next question, which of these are loaded rated for an F350 thanks.
The LT2 are definitely load rated. The Michellin Xice2 are not LT rated tires.

Quick Reply: Dedicated snow tire suggestions?