1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

1997 ford f250 7.3 powerstroke

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 08:26 PM
adamp29
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 ford f250 7.3 powerstroke

Ok I am having a problem with my 7.3 powerstroke it runs rough and dies sometimes. I will start with it has a rough idle and shakes bad the truck also dies sometimes and is hard to get started has no power when it does run. it also smokes a little white. so now with what I have done replaced bad injector changed fuel filter and pump also put new cam sensor in I cleaned the fuel system as well. I put new fuel lines on when I put the pump on.it put new batteries in the truck as well as new valve cover gaskets and I checked the wiring to them I can't find any breaks. I am running out of ideas I need help

Old 11-27-2016, 09:32 AM
farmert
Logistics Pro
Received 518 Likes on 252 Posts
To me , it sounds like you have an issue with the electronics that fire the injectors. Whether it is the wiring or the IDM. You replaced the valve cover gaskets, but how about the under valve cover harness? What brand of gaskets were used? Have the outer pigtails to the valve cover gasket ever been changed? If so were the wires soldered together or were but connectors used? Remove the IDM and give it a shake and listen for a water slosh coming from it. If you hear a slosh, you need a different IDM. Do you have someone with a similar truck that you could test your IDM in? Plug your IDM in the other truck to see if the miss?rough idle follows to the other truck.

Old 11-27-2016, 01:34 PM
adamp29
New User
Originally Posted by farmert
To me , it sounds like you have an issue with the electronics that fire the injectors. Whether it is the wiring or the IDM. You replaced the valve cover gaskets, but how about the under valve cover harness? What brand of gaskets were used? Have the outer pigtails to the valve cover gasket ever been changed? If so were the wires soldered together or were but connectors used? Remove the IDM and give it a shake and listen for a water slosh coming from it. If you hear a slosh, you need a different IDM. Do you have someone with a similar truck that you could test your IDM in? Plug your IDM in the other truck to see if the miss?rough idle follows to the other truck.
so I was told that if the idm goes out most likely one whole bank would go out is this true? and also does this make the truck sometimes dies and it takes a while to start. another thing I don't know if I mentioned was it starts right up every morning no matter how cold. I don't know anyone with an idm to swap with mine is there another way to test it? we don't have any good diesel shop around son this is the only hope I got.

Old 11-27-2016, 04:19 PM
farmert
Logistics Pro
Received 518 Likes on 252 Posts
I've been lucky, I have never had a IDM go bad, and from what I have read, they don't crap out to often. I have had a bad pigtail on the injector harness burn up causing the IDM to shut one bank down to protect itself. Get the truck started, then unplug one connector to the valve cover gasket. If there is no change in how it runs, plug it back in and do another. When you find the one that makes no change. the problem is with that plug/wires. An IDM from a New body style with the 7.3 will work on our trucks, but they are more difficult to get to them, as they are located behind the inner fender liner.

Old 11-28-2016, 09:21 PM
adamp29
New User
Originally Posted by farmert
I've been lucky, I have never had a IDM go bad, and from what I have read, they don't crap out to often. I have had a bad pigtail on the injector harness burn up causing the IDM to shut one bank down to protect itself. Get the truck started, then unplug one connector to the valve cover gasket. If there is no change in how it runs, plug it back in and do another. When you find the one that makes no change. the problem is with that plug/wires. An IDM from a New body style with the 7.3 will work on our trucks, but they are more difficult to get to them, as they are located behind the inner fender liner.
checked the plugs and they made the same amount of difference when I unplugged them and also I put a gauge on it and I am only getting a fuel pressure of 35 at wot and at max I get 45. I also noticed today that when I reved up the truck while it was cold it pushed the dipstick out a little so do you think my engine is toast.

Old 11-28-2016, 09:30 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Pushing the dipstick is a bad sign. Try removing the oil fill cap and placing it over the hole upside down and see if it sits there while running. If there's pressure to blow it off, you may have problems.

Old 11-28-2016, 09:35 PM
adamp29
New User
Originally Posted by CampSpringsJohn
Pushing the dipstick is a bad sign. Try removing the oil fill cap and placing it over the hole upside down and see if it sits there while running. If there's pressure to blow it off, you may have problems.
I am also getting oil in the intake I am just wondering if I should get it rebuilt or just sell off the truck and cut my losses. The truck is beautiful no rust and its a 1997 f250 dually extended cab 5 speed I love the truck but don't know if I should bother with it

Old 11-28-2016, 10:00 PM
163junk
Senior User
Where about are you located ? Maybe a used one would be easier.

Old 11-29-2016, 08:38 AM
knottyrope
Lead Driver
Received 874 Likes on 665 Posts
oil in the intake is normal

do the oil cap test and see if it blows off at idle and 2k RPM

if it does then a compression test is needed

Old 11-29-2016, 12:53 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Just noticed, exhaust back pressure is quite high. Is your EPBV closing? At 46F IAT, I wouldn't think it should be. Does EBP return to something closer to atmospheric after EOT reaches 150-160F? You may have an actual exhaust restriction....

Old 11-29-2016, 02:58 PM
adamp29
New User
Originally Posted by madpogue
Just noticed, exhaust back pressure is quite high. Is your EPBV closing? At 46F IAT, I wouldn't think it should be. Does EBP return to something closer to atmospheric after EOT reaches 150-160F? You may have an actual exhaust restriction....
It does not change when it gets warm it has been running high pressure the whole time I have had the truck I was wondering about this and what do you think I should test first?

Old 11-29-2016, 03:01 PM
knottyrope
Lead Driver
Received 874 Likes on 665 Posts
remove band clamp on turbo to down pipe and see if its stuck closed

does it sound like a giant whistle when running?

Old 11-29-2016, 04:38 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
^^^^ +1, visual check. And no, it should NOT be that high after EOT reaches 150-160F, no matter how cold the outside/startup temp. Dunno if the oil leak you reported in your other thread is related, but IIRC, the EBPV actuator somehow uses oil hydraulically to operate the valve, so these may be related issues. Looks like you're going down the EBPV-delete road anyway, so this might just be another reason.

Old 11-29-2016, 05:31 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Didn't know they made a F250 dually?

Old 11-29-2016, 06:16 PM
Kingkong0192
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
Didn't know they made a F250 dually?
They didn't.

No F250 ever rolled out of the factory as a dually.

Quick Reply: 1997 ford f250 7.3 powerstroke