Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Elocker

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 05:31 PM
Brian429
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Elocker

I just got a 2015 F150 and I just learned that is has a 3.31 E-locker rear end. I am used to a limited slip in my old F150, how does this new system work? Is t something that can be turned on or off?

Old 11-24-2016, 06:32 PM
Frdtrkrul
Laughing Gas
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
It's an electronic locker in the differential. You pull the 2wd, 4x4hi, 4x4low **** to lock it. What it does is locks the differential and puts power to both wheels, great for off roading and pulling boats out of boat launches.

Old 11-24-2016, 08:55 PM
cdmm151
Senior User
Used only below 25 MPH.

Old 11-25-2016, 12:42 AM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

Also, when the E-locker is not active...then you have an open diff. Meaning, the tire with the least grip gets the power. But wait...

The argument with the open diff is that it works well with Ford's AdvanceTrac Electronic Stability Control.

biz

Old 11-25-2016, 07:18 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by biz4two
Also, when the E-locker is not active...then you have an open diff. Meaning, the tire with the least grip gets the power. But wait...

The argument with the open diff is that it works well with Ford's AdvanceTrac Electronic Stability Control.
Yup. Just experienced this a couple of days ago in the van. 3.73 open differential, and I was backing up the driveway with the left side wheels on snow. The left wheel broke free and the ABS pump started pulsing. The van got traction and accelerated backwards with each pulse as it braked the spinning wheel. It works well, and no clutches to burn out or friction modifier to mess with.

The E-locker is great for those rare occasions when it's useful. I've probably used mine a half dozen times, but all of those I could have gotten out without it easy enough. You want to be careful using this in snow, the rear end wants to go sideways almost instantly when you break both rears loose at the same time.

Old 11-25-2016, 09:49 AM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 214 Likes on 180 Posts
I've used the E-locker several times, but on most occasions I find it more reliable to just switch to 4H. I "usually" back up the last couple hundred feet of our driveway, and it's a relatively steep gravel stretch. In 2H without the E-locker, it will almost guaranteed spin the active wheel. The E-locker reduces that spin, but it can also result in both wheels spinning.

Because of the steepness, most of the weight is on the front wheels anyway. So shifting to 4H takes care of that little issue, and I don't get any wheel spin on any corner.

Old 11-25-2016, 05:42 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Arrow

I find the e-locker really is meant to be used in extreme cases...along with 4hi or 4lo.

biz

Old 11-25-2016, 09:33 PM
Thorium
Senior User
I love my LSD(limited slip diff), every truck i ever bought i made sure that the LS or posi was in it the rear end. Hundreds of thousands of miles without a lick of trouble from anyone of them. While searching for my f150, just about every truck i looked at had the "regular rear axle" and the odd one with the e-locker, i just took for granted that this was a ford thing and they called the lsd's e-lockers. WRONG!! A great salesman i had who new his product thoroughly, he explained to me what it was all about, after he saw i new about mechanics, he said its an actual locker that you engage from inside the truck. I know and have had the ARB in some street cars many moons ago, this one is actuated electricaly. Sumbich, didnt know they were putting them in the trucks now, great option if lsd(posi) is not available. For the $400 or 500 dollars it costs, id get it, i now understand about the traction control and how the brakes get regulated and someone may say its not worth or neccessary but i say get that bugger regardless. Just my 2¢.

Old 11-26-2016, 09:03 PM
1tuff250
Junior User
What if you want to drag race it ? It only stays locked to 25mph ?

Old 11-26-2016, 09:08 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Arrow

Originally Posted by 1tuff250
What if you want to drag race it ? It only stays locked to 25mph ?
Don't get the question?

Yes...it disengages above 25mph. If you want to drag race, then drive in 4hi with e-locker engaged. Once at 25mph the e-locker disengages, but you still running down the lane in 4hi.

biz

Old 11-27-2016, 06:02 PM
Thorium
Senior User
Originally Posted by biz4two
Don't get the question?

Yes...it disengages above 25mph. If you want to drag race, then drive in 4hi with e-locker engaged. Once at 25mph the e-locker disengages, but you still running down the lane in 4hi.

biz
Sounds like he's worried about breaking the tires loose above 25mph, you know, breaking loose

Old 11-27-2016, 08:24 PM
1tuff250
Junior User
Yes,getting loose above 25mph.

Old 11-28-2016, 09:41 AM
PupnDuck
Fleet Mechanic
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts
Well, you can never FULLY shut off the traction control. It's always lurking there trying to prevent what it sees as unproductive attempts at acceleration. The e-locker drops out above 25mph and presumably you're in 4X4 auto for this race. Unless you're drag racing in the snow I can't imagine breaking all 4 tires loose above 25mph.
Put it in Sport mode, punch the traction control button twice for Advanced Sport Mode, e-locker on, power brake it and just GO!

Old 11-29-2016, 04:12 PM
Ancona
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tom
Yup. Just experienced this a couple of days ago in the van. 3.73 open differential, and I was backing up the driveway with the left side wheels on snow. The left wheel broke free and the ABS pump started pulsing. The van got traction and accelerated backwards with each pulse as it braked the spinning wheel. It works well, and no clutches to burn out or friction modifier to mess with.
From my experience it doesn't work as well in snow (that is, when both wheels are in snow) as a limited-slip. With a true limited-slip both wheels will spin and the ABS doesn't activate. There are conditions where you are better off with uninterrupted spin on both wheels and the ABS activation will work against you. For limited-slip I prefer the Detroit Truetrac. No clutches to burn out or friction modifier to mess with AND no ABS to hamper you.

Old 11-29-2016, 04:14 PM
Ancona
Senior User
Originally Posted by PupnDuck
Well, you can never FULLY shut off the traction control. It's always lurking there trying to prevent what it sees as unproductive attempts at acceleration. The e-locker drops out above 25mph and presumably you're in 4X4 auto for this race. Unless you're drag racing in the snow I can't imagine breaking all 4 tires loose above 25mph.
Put it in Sport mode, punch the traction control button twice for Advanced Sport Mode, e-locker on, power brake it and just GO!
in 4-wheel low it disengages at 62 MPH.

Quick Reply: Elocker