Sponsored by: DP Tuner

The Up(pipes), Down(pipes) and Out(exhaust) of my refresh

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 03:32 PM
ZachinCO
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
The Up(pipes), Down(pipes) and Out(exhaust) of my refresh

Here is a quick synopsis of my 3 week rebuild on my Turbo, Up-Pipe and Exhaust replacement.

Before it all started

• Day 1: Removed the CAI. Removed the Intercooler tubes and CAC boots. Removed the spider and the boots to the plenums. Loosened up exhaust.
• Day 2: Removed the turbo. Removed pedestal. Removed all exhaust except the downpipe, decided to cut the pipe behind the muffler so I didn’t have to remove the shock.
• Day 3: Removed up-pipes. After the up-pipes were removed, that cleared the way for the downpipe to be removed otherwise would have had to remove the transmission crossmember support.
Not sure of the total time spent removing all the above components. The removed Turbo and Spider need to be cleaned before reassembly. New Up-Pipes need to be wrapped and sealed before installing.
• Day 4-8: Cleaning and prepping engine bay, engine valley and firewall. Cleaning a prepping removed turbo. Cleaning CAC tubes, foil delete.
• Day 9-10: Primer and Paint Turbo, Spider and CAC tubes. Wrapped Up-pipes.
• Day 11-14: Assembly of Turbo.
o Installed Up-Pipes, leaving manifold bolts loose and DS/Collector bolts loose.
o Pre-hung Downpipe and extension pipe. With the shorter downpipe, there was enough room to maneuver it around the PS Up-pipe.
o Mounted turbo.
o Connecting Y-collector to turbo turned out to be more of a chore than first thought. Leaving the bolts loose is a must. I had to loosen up the turbo slightly also, but not enough to disturb the O-rings. After struggling a bit, I also removed the alternator to clear room for more maneuverability. This was going to come off either way. I replaced the upper coolant hose with the Gates 22433. With more room to wiggle got the collector to mate up to the turbo and quickly tightened the v-clamp
o Connected the Downpipe to the outlet and clamped loosely. Finished installing the remaining exhaust sections and hand tightened clamps.
o Installed Plenum inserts. Very snug fit, but exactly the tolerance I’d expect.
o Installed HPx
o Installed new RiffRaff CAC boots with new clamps. Installed spider and associated sensors.
o Installed Intercooler tubes.
o Reconnected all electrical harness connections (or so I thought).
o Cleaned batteries/terminals and replaced hardware.
o Went through all my new bolts/nuts/connections and tightened to SPEC.

All Complete(I need better pics once the snow melts)

Parts used:
• Shelor Motormile 2U2Z9K635AA 1999-2003 FORD F-SERIES SEVERE DUTY AIS
o Easy install, fits great
• MBRP EXHAUST STORE MBRP-S6200BLK MBRP 4" Turbo Back, Single Side Black Coated
o Good Quality, Slight fitment issue. Didn’t care for the fact that one extension tube had to be cut to size to fit a standard bed crew cab.
• SP Turboost CO. 811-1206-002 GTP38 TURBO UPGRADE CHRA SPX BILLET WHEEL
o Great looking quality. Shipped promptly.
• Riff Raff GZ-14-010 GTP38 Compressor Housing O-ring
• Riff Raff GZ-14-060 Garrett Compressor Housing Outlet O-ring 99.5-03
• Riff Raff GZ-9-003 Turbo / Pedestal O-rings
• Riff Raff 451274-0005 Garrett GTP38 High Flow Outlet
• Riff Raff 702670-0002 Garrett Non-EBPV/ Blank Pedestal 99.5-03
• Riff Raff 6032168312 Turbo Pedestal Bolt Kit 99.5-03
• Riff Raff GZ-14-012 Garrett 12pt Replacement Turbo Housing Bolts
• Riff Raff RDPHHPX Stainless Steel HPX 99-03
• Riff Raff RDPABK9903 Complete CAC Intercooler Boot Kit 99-03
• Riff Raff RDPPRI RDP Plenum Reinforcing Inserts
• Riff Raff B005-7.3 Intercooler Boot Complete Clamp Kit
o All the RiffRaff items were of the best quality. Obviously I’ve purchased a good amount from them and will continue to give Clay my business in the future.
• Xtremediesel.com BD1043900 XDP 7.3L Bellowed Up Pipe Kit
o Good build quality. All the welds look to notch.
• O'Rielly Auto 22433 Gates Upper Radiator hose
o No more removing the radiator hose to change the serpentine belt!!

Rather than embedding all of my pics, I uploaded them all to my Google Drive. Here is a link~ https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9...mZZREhyQUZrWXc

I would be remiss to say, that I did lots of reading here before tackling this project. Lots of great incite from the folks here and it is greatly appreciated. REPS to ALL!!

Old 11-22-2016, 05:01 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,853 Posts
Nice work, it looks like an entirely different truck! It looks like you removed the bracket for the plastic PowerStroke cover. Do you still have it by chance, and if so would you be willing to part with it?

I bet it runs like a completely different truck now too?

Old 11-22-2016, 06:21 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,188 Likes on 816 Posts
Looks great, that compressor wheel was really chewed up, I bet the truck feels like new with all the stuff added.

Old 11-22-2016, 06:35 PM
guitarpicr
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like a new motor in there - Very nice work -Does she spool up a little quicker ?

Old 11-22-2016, 11:54 PM
ZachinCO
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Sous
Nice work, it looks like an entirely different truck! It looks like you removed the bracket for the plastic PowerStroke cover. Do you still have it by chance, and if so would you be willing to part with it?

I bet it runs like a completely different truck now too?
I don't have it actually, I've been checking eBay for a replacement. It got lost in my move a year ago. And yes it does

Originally Posted by z31freakify
Looks great, that compressor wheel was really chewed up, I bet the truck feels like new with all the stuff added.
yeah, I don't know what got sucked in there, I'm guessing all the dirt roads around where I live. Yes it does, sounds better too.

Originally Posted by guitarpicr
Looks like a new motor in there - Very nice work -Does she spool up a little quicker ?
much quicker, from off the line and at speeds when you press that throttle.

I think i see a chip & tunes in my future.

Old 11-23-2016, 06:45 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,853 Posts
Holy crap, I missed the shots of the old compressor wheel. The AIS intake will keep your new wheel clean and working as it should.

Old 11-23-2016, 08:02 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
You know what I hate? I hate the list seems like it never ends. All I wanted to do was get rid of my surge with maybe a new wheel, so I read this stuff and some (a lot actually) from others and start thinking. And yes, while I have this part apart I should do this and this and this and, and.

Sometimes I think it would be easier if I simply jacked up my radiator cap and drove a new truck under it. Otherwise I am going to have to keep this truck till I die for all the time and parts I am going to have in it.

Steve

Old 11-23-2016, 08:09 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Congratulations on getting 'er done. It looks sharp under there, you spent more time polishing things up than I did! How were your manifold bolts? I didn't hear any cussing about them, mine were so bad I had to heat them to get them out.

Old 11-23-2016, 09:38 AM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
Great work and write-up! Reps sent. Each project I set aside several hours to clean off the years of oil, grease, and grime under the hood and I always seem to barely have enough time just to finish the work.

Originally Posted by RV_Tech
You know what I hate? I hate the list seems like it never ends. All I wanted to do was get rid of my surge with maybe a new wheel, so I read this stuff and some (a lot actually) from others and start thinking. And yes, while I have this part apart I should do this and this and this and, and.

Sometimes I think it would be easier if I simply jacked up my radiator cap and drove a new truck under it. Otherwise I am going to have to keep this truck till I die for all the time and parts I am going to have in it.

Steve
I have those days too (my wife has many more of them than I do ). It's hard to let go of my 7.3L after all the money and time I've put into it. I know nobody would appreciate it as much as I have (and still do). The fact that I can still work on this truck (I've done all the work on the truck in 9 years of ownership) and know just about every nut, bolt, and connector on it makes it a part of me. That and the sticker shock of what a new one would set me back makes keeping my truck a no-brainer. Plus they're all small blocks now.

Old 11-23-2016, 10:24 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by brian42
Great work and write-up! Reps sent. Each project I set aside several hours to clean off the years of oil, grease, and grime under the hood and I always seem to barely have enough time just to finish the work.

I have those days too (my wife has many more of them than I do ). It's hard to let go of my 7.3L after all the money and time I've put into it. I know nobody would appreciate it as much as I have (and still do). The fact that I can still work on this truck (I've done all the work on the truck in 9 years of ownership) and know just about every nut, bolt, and connector on it makes it a part of me. That and the sticker shock of what a new one would set me back makes keeping my truck is a no-brainer. Plus they're all small blocks now.
Man, I know it. I look at some of these and think I want mine like that too! Doesn't seem right!

Old 11-23-2016, 11:37 AM
Volcom
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks awesome!! I bet it runs really well now. Those up-pipes were just a little loose I have the same exact list of parts on my wish list for Riff Raff I'm planning to do it all at the same time just like you did. I started the parts collection with a set of up-pipes. I've got a lot to buy before I can start.

Old 11-23-2016, 11:46 AM
Y2KW57
Received 3,344 Likes on 1,752 Posts
Great job. Reps sent.

Where did the clamp between the compressor outlet and the spider come from? Does it have a cage to clasp the two castings together? Part number?

Old 11-23-2016, 12:31 PM
ZachinCO
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
Congratulations on getting 'er done. It looks sharp under there, you spent more time polishing things up than I did! How were your manifold bolts? I didn't hear any cussing about them, mine were so bad I had to heat them to get them out.
The bolts on the manifold to Up-pipes weren't that bad actually, of course I'd sprayed them several times with solvents. I'd let them sit a few hours, try them, spray some more, rinse & repeat till they felt like I wasn't going to give myself a hernia getting them loose.

Originally Posted by brian42

I have those days too (my wife has many more of them than I do ). It's hard to let go of my 7.3L after all the money and time I've put into it. I know nobody would appreciate it as much as I have (and still do). The fact that I can still work on this truck (I've done all the work on the truck in 9 years of ownership) and know just about every nut, bolt, and connector on it makes it a part of me. That and the sticker shock of what a new one would set me back makes keeping my truck is a no-brainer. Plus they're all small blocks now.
Thanks, I didn't spend nearly as much time as I'd like to have cleaning. I'll break out the simple green and pressure washer when the weather is nice enough. I too know what you mean about the truck becoming part of you. I'm the original owner and when I look at the price of new rigs I think I'd have to sell a body part to buy one. I've told my son, 8, the truck is his when he is of age. My 14 y/o daughter is learning to drive it now in the field when we bale hay.
Originally Posted by Y2KW57
Great job. Reps sent.

Where did the clamp between the compressor outlet and the spider come from? Does it have a cage to clasp the two castings together? Part number?
Are you referring to the clamp in this pic?

That is the same clamp that goes on the rear turbo to collector. The worm clamp was shot, had a split in it and fell apart when I took things apart. I did a stare and compare and the 2 were the same(or close enough I couldn't tell the difference) and I just picked one up from O'Reilly. In retrospect, I would buy all new V-band clamps on my RiffRaff(Up-pipe Collector/Turbo Clamp 99-07 - Riffraff Diesel Performance order had I thought about these going bad.

Originally Posted by Volcom
Looks awesome!! I bet it runs really well now. Those up-pipes were just a little loose I have the same exact list of parts on my wish list for Riff Raff I'm planning to do it all at the same time just like you did. I started the parts collection with a set of up-pipes. I've got a lot to buy before I can start.
I was amazed when I got them off. One side fell right out of the clamp, figured that isn't real good...

I look at my after pic now and think, I really should replace the degas bottle, the oil filler cap, dipsticks... The list could go on. Gotta see if I can clean up the A/C housing so it looks purdy too.

Old 11-23-2016, 12:40 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,344 Likes on 1,752 Posts
Yes, that is the clamp I was referring to.

So you put a back end clamp on the front end... and it fit fine, as far as the channel width around the circumference of the clamp clasping the casting lips of the compressor and spider? Did you subject it to a boost leak test?

If this works out well for you, I would totally consider doing this myself if the time ever came where I needed to remove the turbo. The back end clamp is way better designed than the front end clamp. It just never occurred to me that the two were interchangeable as far as size is concerned.

Old 11-23-2016, 01:00 PM
ZachinCO
More Turbo
I haven't done a boost leak test to the point of either a spray bottle looking for bubbles or making the plug leak detector(
). I've got the parts sitting on my bench and might do a test this weekend. Just watching my boost gauge I see a difference of 4-6 lbs.

Side by side the 2 channels of the v-band appear to be the same. I didn't put calipers on them to get exact sizes, it was more of an eyeball. The bolt/nut combo seems to make it appear like the clamp is different, but everything appears to match up outside of the that. The spacing between the 3 v-bands, the width and depth of the v-band, etc.

Quick Reply: The Up(pipes), Down(pipes) and Out(exhaust) of my refresh