Sponsored by:

Bronco 1978 Vacuum Schematic and Emissions

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 12:13 AM
hcodi
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bronco 1978 Vacuum Schematic and Emissions

Hi, I have a 1978 Bronco 400CID 6.6L V8 which I have confirmed is a non-California which means that probably was a non-catalyst. It has been modified quite a lot and it is missing all the emissions equipment. Starting for the most important part wich is the emissions decal. I bought this one online:

here
(sorry it didn't let me upload the image)

But I found out recently that it is not the correct one, since my engine is a 400 it should read instead:

Engine Family 351M/400 EGR
Displacement 6.6L (400 cid)
NON CATALYST

And I am not sure about the code at the bottom right but after some research online I suspect it could be this:
D8TE-9C485-ACA D009

Does anyone have this exact same sticker so I can confirm the setting info on ignition timing, timing rpm, choke, idle and kick down etc. ?

Does anyone know where to find the right Decal?

Also, knowing this information, can anyone point me to the right vacuum schematic? Where can I find the right calibration? I am gathering a bunch of emissions parts but some are from CA trucks and might not be right.

I am very desperate and frustrated since I can not operate the truck without passing the Smog and need to find the right settings and parts. I will really appreciate your help.

Thank you so much!

Old 11-18-2016, 11:56 PM
Torky2
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I don't have a 1978, nor have I ever had one... but to clarify what you are trying to do so others can help - You need to restore a 49-State emissions package back to its original factory spec, right?

And NOT changing it to a 1978 California-only spec.

So anyone who has a 1978 Bronco with a 400 and is a 49-State vehicle potentially can help, right?

FWIW, I did see this thread here on FTE: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/3...t-78-f250.html

Too bad user Mil1ion isn't around anymore. His post count has been zero'd out, his gallery removed, the gallery would have been good to see. But his posts are still in the system, don't know if one could get anything with enough detail out of texts over the years.

There IS a 1978 F-250 400 vac diagram he posted in the link above, that might be applicable. We can probably help you with any part abbreviations on it.

Can't beat having a pic of one if anyone has one of the vac routing, or other critical engine-setting specs.

Old 11-19-2016, 02:36 PM
hcodi
New User
Originally Posted by Torky2
to clarify what you are trying to do so others can help - You need to restore a 49-State emissions package back to its original factory spec, right?

And NOT changing it to a 1978 California-only spec.
Thank you so much Torky2!

Yes! You are absolutely right, sorry I wasn't clear with my question. I am restoring a 49-State emissions package back to its original factory spec and do not intend to change it to a California spec.

It would be extremely helpful to get in contact with people from this forum that has a 1978 F-series or Bronco with a 400M 6.6L engine and 49-State (Federal) and still have the original emissions equipment (including the emissions decal).

I found out the name of a company that makes reproductions of the Decals and other literature. Its Osborn Reproductions out of Lawrenceville Georgia. So if there is more people in this forum interested in getting this decal I can contact them and see if they can make a batch. But first I need to figure out the right decal and settings.

On another forum I had someone help me find a 400M decal but the picture is so blurry that is hard to identify anything:

And thank you so much for pointing me out to that thread, Torky2. The information that Mil1ion was giving was great, too bad the images are gone.

By the way, the previous valve covers had the original white sticker that can be used to decode the proper vacuum schematic according to Mil1ion. Maybe the schematic for that one would be something like 8-74-R10?:

Does anybody know where these schematics come from? There has to be a book or something. Could it be the Mitchell1 Emission Control Application or the Motor Emission Control Systems Applications?

Old 11-14-2020, 11:30 AM
Josh Bates
New User
Originally Posted by hcodi
Hi, I have a 1978 Bronco 400CID 6.6L V8 which I have confirmed is a non-California which means that probably was a non-catalyst. It has been modified quite a lot and it is missing all the emissions equipment. Starting for the most important part wich is the emissions decal. I bought this one online:

here (sorry it didn't let me upload the image)

But I found out recently that it is not the correct one, since my engine is a 400 it should read instead:

Engine Family 351M/400 EGR
Displacement 6.6L (400 cid)
NON CATALYST

And I am not sure about the code at the bottom right but after some research online I suspect it could be this:
D8TE-9C485-ACA D009

Does anyone have this exact same sticker so I can confirm the setting info on ignition timing, timing rpm, choke, idle and kick down etc. ?

Does anyone know where to find the right Decal?

Also, knowing this information, can anyone point me to the right vacuum schematic? Where can I find the right calibration? I am gathering a bunch of emissions parts but some are from CA trucks and might not be right.

I am very desperate and frustrated since I can not operate the truck without passing the Smog and need to find the right settings and parts. I will really appreciate your help.

Thank you so much!