1978 - 1996 Big Bronco  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can anyone around NC weld and want to make money?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 12:21 PM
Berardini2121
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can anyone around NC weld and want to make money?

Im having a heck of a time finding someone to weld in patch panels on my broncos wheel archs. I have the patch panels Im getting qoutes for 1,000$ qoutes for $300. The ones that are $1000 are way to high for my budget, the ones that are $300 I do not know if I trust with my truck. I would like to find someone who has done this. Any input would be great. Thanks

Old 11-08-2016, 01:51 PM
gittinwidit
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are in NC with me, I suggest using this:

3M Panel Bonding Adhesive 08115

Every patch panel I ever saw around here that was tack welded on is rusted back worse now. This stuff is highly recommended by body shops. I've patched 2 sets of bed arches so far and a bed floor panel and haven't heard back with any problems? And you can make a dispenser very easily if you have any fab skills.

Besides that, NC is a fairly large state being 9+ hours from extreme corner to extreme corner. Would help to have a general location???

Old 11-08-2016, 02:03 PM
Berardini2121
Freshman User
I am 15 minutes from you. I am in Downtown Raleigh right now, live by Crabtree. My original plan was panel adhesive and every time I have brought it up I get laughed at. Have you ever done it? Would really appreciate input if you have. I welded in a patch in my floor pan and it held great looks like **** with warping which doesn't bother me because its under the carpet. My buddy is willing to lay down 4 coats of base and 3 since he just installed a new paint booth at his dealership. Problem is he wants the truck in there with patch panels installed before January. His dealership opens in March and wants to do it by then. Thanks for any help you can give and awesome someone close by is on here.

Old 11-08-2016, 02:13 PM
gittinwidit
Laughing Gas
I would have to suggest having the body shop that will be painting it to do the panels for the "guarantee"? I'm not aware of a single body shop that will paint someone else's body work with a guarantee? Unless you are set on saving $$$.

I'd do a floor panel anytime since it's interior. As for welding exterior patch panels.... I honestly plain sukk! cause I've tried before. That was when I started using panel adhesive.

But I have a Miller Mig 110 you are welcome to take a stab with but I'd go with the bonding adhesive myself? And laugh at everybody else YEARS from now.

To do the adhesive correctly, you would need to prep down to bare metal and apply a metal prep / cleaner. Paint thinner is fine for this. Then apply evenly and excessively so that it squeezes out when you place the patch on. I always use 4 hands to hold it in place. Then have a fifth hand apply tape to hold it but still press it for a good 2-3 minutes til it sets. Basically follow directions on the tube. Then wipe out the excess. After that you are able to finish with glaze puddy, primer and paint for a rust free bond. You weld it, it's obvious you can't prep the metal in the middle for paint / future rust protection. And rear fender panels are EXTREMELY critical for the abuse they get.

Old 11-08-2016, 02:18 PM
Berardini2121
Freshman User
There is no warranty on the paint

Its a friend of mine basically doing it for cost and and minimal labor. And he said he does not weld or glue panels, he subcontracts it out to guys who work for him and the quotes they gave me were outrageous. Is this something maybe you would want to help me with for a few sheckles? I would really appreciate it.

Old 11-08-2016, 02:18 PM
gittinwidit
Laughing Gas
I can give you a recommendation in Wake Forest that I use if you are dead set on welding them? He's as good (and as cheap) as anybody else. Reputable fab shop commercially licensed from his garage at his house. He welded up an aluminum canoe for me and did a great job. And that required talent!

As for any solid welding, or anything actually including parts, please keep me in mind! I have a shop with a lot of equipment and did all kinds of fabbing / mechanic-ing when I was laid off from the recession for about 4 years. I try not to do it much anymore but still give in every now and then.

Old 11-08-2016, 02:21 PM
Berardini2121
Freshman User
As you stated though you believe that welding will yield worse results long term? Right now I am kind of stuck on having this truck for a long time. One of those if I blow an engine Ill just put another one in kinda vehicles. I would hate to spend 1000 on paint materials and get a friendly favor from my buddy and next thing you know, I am bubbling under this beautiful paint.

Old 11-08-2016, 02:32 PM
gittinwidit
Laughing Gas
If this is anything better than a mud truck, I'd suggest keep pluggin for someone that does it for a living. I've done 5 panels over 8 year span. And they were not "show" trucks by no means... I haven't heard back though to make sure they held?

I'd say to give this thread some time. A lot of folk on here! I've got more work than I know what to do with but all else fails, I'll give it a shot next spring for the temp has to be right. Got a couple more to do of my own myself.

Old 11-08-2016, 02:51 PM
Berardini2121
Freshman User
Its a step above a mud truck but definitely no a show truck, just want a nice looking daily driver. The unfortunate thing is I have to get this truck in my buddys booth by mid January to get the deal on the paint job. Once he opens the dealership he told me he will not have time. Maybe I could talk to your guy in Wake Forest? Although now I am scared of the welding because of it re rusting. As for the adhesive you think its too cold right now? Thanks for all of the input.

Old 11-08-2016, 02:59 PM
gittinwidit
Laughing Gas
Not too cold for someone with a heated shop. Basically the setup time is a lot more for under 70 degrees. Add our moisture level and might as well say 75+.

Here's everything you would ever want to know to do this yourself. And you can do it for less than $50 if you fab up an applicator gun. They are $100. But super simple...

Will Bonding Endure a Crash - Body Shop Business

Old 11-08-2016, 04:06 PM
Berardini2121
Freshman User
This wake forest guy you speak of,

Do you mind reaching out to him and just seeing what his thoughts are on the job, is it something he would do? Does he have any ideas of anything to prevent it from rusting again? I would appreciate it just exploring options.