1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Alabama title and bill of sale questions.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 06:22 PM
nick82f100
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alabama title and bill of sale questions.

I have the title with our signatures and a bill of sale filled out correctly can i get the title notarized by myself or do i need to find the previous owner? will the witness work? hes much easier to find.

its a 1982 f100, all the paperwork was done around a 1 1\2 years ago i just never got it notarized and the seller said then that i didn't need him and could get it done myself? I would really appreciate any help guys.

the bill of sale is from Alabama, I'm trying to get it registered in Alabama too.

Old 10-27-2016, 06:34 PM
WhatsAChevy?
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by nick82f100
I have the title with our signatures and a bill of sale filled out correctly can i get the title notarized by myself or do i need to find the previous owner? will the witness work? hes much easier to find.

its a 1982 f100, all the paperwork was done around a 1 1\2 years ago i just never got it notarized and the seller said then that i didn't need him and could get it done myself? I would really appreciate any help guys.
First off....what state is the bill of sale from.
Secondly....what state are you wanting to register the vehicle in.
Different states have different title/registry regulations.
Example : I can legally register/title vehicles from South Carolina in Ohio with a South Carolina Bill of Sale without a S.C. Title as long as the Ohio BMV can verify the VIN on the vehicle. A little more info would be helpful. Time shouldn't matter, but, depends on the state. You have the Seller's signature ?

Old 10-27-2016, 06:37 PM
nick82f100
New User
Bill of sale is from alabama and im trying to register it in alabama. and yes i have the sellers signature.

Old 10-27-2016, 06:45 PM
WhatsAChevy?
Posting Guru
I should have read the complete post. You purchased the truck from a Alabama seller and You are wanting to register it in Alabama but, because You have waited so long, You are afraid the registrar will have an issue with it. Take the Bill of Sale, along with the Title to the BMV/DMV and explain. They should be able to issue a Temporary License Tag to allow you to verify the vehicle's VIN with the Title Bureau.

Old 10-27-2016, 06:47 PM
WhatsAChevy?
Posting Guru
Long story short.....You shouldn't have an issue with the BMV, regardless of time passed.

Old 10-27-2016, 06:47 PM
nick82f100
New User
Thank you i was really hoping to hear that XD.

I don't mean any disrespect but how sure are you?

Old 10-27-2016, 07:04 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,107 Likes on 1,795 Posts
The safe answer is check with your state's DMV (Dept. Motor Vehicle).

I am newish to NC and found out when I bought my flare side project if the SELLER does not have the title notarized even if it is signed the title is junk / NFG and nothing short of me finding the seller and have them get it notarized would fix it.

I also found out by going to DMV I can get the title(s), I have 2 trucks 1 is parts, put in my name but not get plates for them. Then when the time comes to get plates it is just plates and no BS about titles. Both of the trucks were titled in NC.

Reminds me I should get this done next time I have off as I have had both trucks for a year come Dec. Oh I have another project for over 25 years titled in CT that should be fun!

Good luck
Dave ----

Old 10-27-2016, 07:16 PM
WhatsAChevy?
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by nick82f100
Thank you i was really hoping to hear that XD.

I don't mean any disrespect but how sure are you?
No disrespect taken...I'm in Ohio, and My Daughter is in South Carolina. We frequently buy vehicles from the South Eastern States (S.C., Georgia, Alabama, Florida's Panhandle) and ship them up north. My Daughter purchases vehicles down your way regularly for repair/resale. Her turnover is 10 vehicles in 12 months if not more. Nobody is going to come knocking at your door....especially for vehicles of this vintage. I am very sure. The most you "may" have to prove or attest to by signature, is an "Actual Mileage Statement". No sweat.

Old 10-27-2016, 07:20 PM
WhatsAChevy?
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by FuzzFace2
The safe answer is check with your state's DMV (Dept. Motor Vehicle).

I am newish to NC and found out when I bought my flare side project if the SELLER does not have the title notarized even if it is signed the title is junk / NFG and nothing short of me finding the seller and have them get it notarized would fix it.

I also found out by going to DMV I can get the title(s), I have 2 trucks 1 is parts, put in my name but not get plates for them. Then when the time comes to get plates it is just plates and no BS about titles. Both of the trucks were titled in NC.

Reminds me I should get this done next time I have off as I have had both trucks for a year come Dec. Oh I have another project for over 25 years titled in CT that should be fun!

Good luck
Dave ----
Strange how States can't get along,lol. I've bought N.C. vehicles with nothing more than a bill of sale (title lost) and with a VIN verification, had them titled in Ohio....seems to me, given our transient society in the 21st century...it should be Federal.....not State mandated. There should be Reciprocity.

Old 10-27-2016, 07:43 PM
maverick600
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I bought a 76 from a guy in Montgomery and he didnt have a title and since it was as old as it was, Alabama did not require titles for vehicles after a certain age but I needed a notarized bill of sale, I had a bill of sale but not notarized. I live in Mississippi and they issue titles no matter what age of the vehicle so what I had to do was find a bill of sale on line that only required 1 signature to be notarized, fill out the sellers info and get it notarized with my signature in order to get it titled in Mississippi.

As what has been said before, go to the DMV and beg forgiveness, play stupid(which doesn't work in Mississippi), and just maybe you will be ok. Good Luck!

Old 10-28-2016, 08:16 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by WhatsAChevy?
Strange how States can't get along,lol. I've bought N.C. vehicles with nothing more than a bill of sale (title lost) and with a VIN verification, had them titled in Ohio....seems to me, given our transient society in the 21st century...it should be Federal.....not State mandated. There should be Reciprocity.
You should see what truck drivers have to do for their CDL from state to state.
l also just got an email of needed documents for CDL renewal as per federal government but testing is a state thing so can be done any way the state sees fit.
Dave - - - -

Old 10-28-2016, 08:33 AM
Franklin2
Received 1,682 Likes on 1,359 Posts
In Virginia we don't need this "notarized" thing, no matter how old the title is. I wonder what that is all about? After all, they know who had the last title to it.

Old 10-28-2016, 06:43 PM
maverick600
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Franklin2
In Virginia we don't need this "notarized" thing, no matter how old the title is. I wonder what that is all about? After all, they know who had the last title to it.
If both signatures require notarization then they know at least someone checked someones ID to verify they are who they are and the transaction is not done illegally. Otherwise all you would have to do is steal a title and get it put in your name and then you can repossess said vehicle from the actual owner.

Old 10-28-2016, 06:45 PM
maverick600
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by FuzzFace2
You should see what truck drivers have to do for their CDL from state to state.
l also just got an email of needed documents for CDL renewal as per federal government but testing is a state thing so can be done any way the state sees fit.
Dave - - - -
Once a CDL is acquired here in MS then renewal is nothing more than going down and renewing other than your hazmat....still have to take that test every time and also your DOT physical has to be current.

Old 10-29-2016, 01:35 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by maverick600
Once a CDL is acquired here in MS then renewal is nothing more than going down and renewing other than your hazmat....still have to take that test every time and also your DOT physical has to be current.
You are right on renewing in state CDL's I meant to say when going for the CDL/up grading it or moving to another state and need to transfer the CDL each state has it's own process.

Some states have "their" way you need to do the driving test that others don't use and the same for transfer, some you may need to retake the written/computer or even drive part of the test and the CDL is a Government thing but each state has their way to do it.
Dave ----

Quick Reply: Alabama title and bill of sale questions.