2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Nitrogen filled tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 09:33 PM
Chad149
Lead Driver
Received 507 Likes on 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Rasalas
My favorite tire store locally fills the tires with N2 for free when you purchase from them. I can't get them to give me a credit for not using it. I wonder who is paying for the gas and the equipment in order for it to be "free."
!
The tire shops use nitrogen generators as their source, usually hanging off the side of the tire mounting machine. No ongoing costs once the generator is purchased. Aside from purdy green caps of course..........easily absorbed by fools parting with their money.

Old 10-26-2016, 09:56 PM
Kenv
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I drove my Nitrogen filled tire truck to the Low T clinic. After that, I went to get wrapped with a piece of Saran wrap to make my belly smaller. See the pattern.....LOL

Old 10-27-2016, 09:20 AM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Chad149
The tire shops use nitrogen generators as their source, usually hanging off the side of the tire mounting machine. No ongoing costs once the generator is purchased. Aside from purdy green caps of course..........easily absorbed by fools parting with their money.
You can get tire grade N 95% purity machines for <$2k that will support a typical tire shop. A good sales guy can pay off the machine in a short time.

Old 10-27-2016, 09:30 AM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Chad149
"I concur, do you concur? Oh why didn't I concur." from Catch Me if You Can. YUP!

Old 10-27-2016, 02:25 PM
Sleepyguy
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I see my tires drop 5 psi due to cold. I would assume most of the people on here don't get cold weather of -20c or colder. While it does not appear to make any difference I do know the stupid pressure warning goes on when its bellow -15 outside.

I have also had my mud and snow tires freeze before and it was like driving over constant speed bumps. My guess was it was -50 as truck did not register it properly. Antifreeze would gel if I idled to much and engine temps would rise. Drive to fast and over cooled the rads and basically had same effect. Ended up putting coveralls over the rad to drive the thing. On top of the cold weather front.

Nitrogen in cold I would guess helps with tread wear and tire sensor lights. In actually cold climates.

Old 10-27-2016, 02:29 PM
HoustonianDale
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
No, regular air drops in pressure the same as Nitrogen for the same start pressure and temperature. Ideal gas law.

Old 10-27-2016, 02:59 PM
Sleepyguy
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Nitrogen in Tires : Information about Nitrogen Tire Inflation News, Benefits, Generator Dealers, Location Finder & More

The above is interesting but you appear to be correct about gas expansion. There is no where it states that nitrogen filled tires will elevate the tpms from triggering low. They do state that the nitrogen is larger thus it should loose less pressure into the environment. Also stated is the nitrogen is moisture and contaminate free which helps.

If in fact nitrogen expands and compresses at same rate as standard air then only advantage I could see is the large molicle leads to less issues with actual low pressure seepage. Having driven fleet trucks we all know everyone babies them and never drives them hard or anything right?

Old 10-27-2016, 09:27 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Sleepyguy
Nitrogen in cold I would guess helps with tread wear and tire sensor lights. In actually cold climates.
That would be a very uneducated guess. Does nitrogen not follow the gas law that every other gas in the universe follows? Other than marketing, what makes nitrogen different from every other gas?

Originally Posted by Sleepyguy
If in fact nitrogen expands and compresses at same rate as standard air then only advantage I could see is the large molicle leads to less issues with actual low pressure seepage. Having driven fleet trucks we all know everyone babies them and never drives them hard or anything right?
The large molecule is a couple percent larger than oxygen. Nitrogen and oxygen make up 99% of air. The difference in the molecule sizes is so small that it's irrelevant. Nitrogen can diffuse through the rubber almost as fast as the oxygen. Both are slow enough to not be a factor. Again, the only difference here is marketing. Nitrogen has good marketing, air does not.

How does driving it hard make any difference here? It's just as relevant to this conversation as is the color of the truck.

Old 10-28-2016, 10:16 AM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
That would be a very uneducated guess. Does nitrogen not follow the gas law that every other gas in the universe follows? Other than marketing, what makes nitrogen different from every other gas?

The large molecule is a couple percent larger than oxygen. Nitrogen and oxygen make up 99% of air. The difference in the molecule sizes is so small that it's irrelevant. Nitrogen can diffuse through the rubber almost as fast as the oxygen. Both are slow enough to not be a factor. Again, the only difference here is marketing. Nitrogen has good marketing, air does not.

How does driving it hard make any difference here? It's just as relevant to this conversation as is the color of the truck.
When I go deer hunting I always put Nitrogen in my accordion so it plays louder.

See how important it is!

Old 10-28-2016, 10:29 AM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 17 Oaks
When I go deer hunting I always put Nitrogen in my accordion so it plays louder.

See how important it is!
Sometimes methane works too. Butt those tunes really stink!

Old 10-28-2016, 11:12 AM
AK_SuperDuty
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky

Air has pretty good marketing since it's free and the large majority of people are running regular air.