Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a Ford F250 dually

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 11:52 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 245 Likes on 154 Posts
Originally Posted by lambone
I had three of the VIN locations checked, the doorplate, the dash, and the frame plate and all three match the VIN in question. Anyone else out there have any experience seeing or knowing of end of run, 1997 F350 parts available as upgrades to a F250HD truck through a commercial division FoMoCo Dealer?

My insurance Co, USAA has no problems identifying this VIN and all option it came with. They are usually very professional and knowledgable.

I still haven't been able to find a shipper to move this truck in an enclosed box trailer, just bids for an open trailer. Any thoughts?
In 2014 I had an immobile Ford F-4 with DRW and a flat bed that extended past the DRWs shipped from New Mexico to east TN. The first hauler looked at it and backed out of the deal. Next day another hauler picked it up, winched it to the top of a full size car carrier and delivered it to my delivery point. The process was better than I had anticipated. Unfortunately, I can not find the paperwork or remember the actual shipper. Cost was about $1000.
Ship it open carrier, JMHO.

Old 10-24-2016, 12:22 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
HaHaHa...Yeah but the bed is still as wide as dual wheels, almost eight feet wide.
Well, that would be no different from hauling an SRW truck with, say, a camper on it. I would think their big issue would be the platform or wheel rails on their bed accomodating the extra wheels, more than the extra width of your bed.

Old 10-24-2016, 12:31 PM
lambone
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Madpogue, that may be the case with an open trailer but with an enclosed box trailer it is the width of any widest part of the vehicle that seems to be the issue.

Old 10-24-2016, 01:48 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
My insurance Co, USAA has no problems identifying this VIN and all option it came with. They are usually very professional and knowledgable.
what did they say the truck was,an f350 cab and chassis or f250 supercab? you still don't have pics of the truck to show us?
pic of the rear leafs and the door jam sticker would be 2 good ones.

Old 10-24-2016, 02:22 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Oops, sorry, didn't know you were going with enclosed. Yeah, width would matter...

Re. the VIN, model, etc, my guess is that Ford had to put "Incomplete Vehicle" on the door jamb sticker because it left the factory without a bed. So it was a cab on a chassis, but it wasn't a "C&C truck" in the way we usually think of it. That is, it has a pickup frame (spacing) and axles, etc. I would bet the rear axle will have the same track as a dually pickup, rather than a dually "C&C truck". This sounds like an absolutely unique vehicle, which is probably why it has a combination of VIN character values that confounded our VIN decoder here on FTE.

I know that some OBS supercabs were shipped with duallies, and were badged as F350s, but they were dually _pickups_ with dually pickup _beds_. And AFAIK they were all RWD.

Old 10-24-2016, 03:45 PM
lambone
Senior User
USAA said yes, it is a 1997 F250HD XL 4x4 Supercab, with a "Commercial" title, no questions asked other than standard ones...Engine, trans, add ons, alarm, airbags, milage, running lights etc...

I'm trying to work something out with "Montway Auto Transport" but they are balking about the width even on an open trailer. Anyone know what the exact wheel width is on a F350 and what the outside fender width is? They have given me a quote on an open transport large equipment trailer for "Wide Loads" rate of $2249 if I pay with a CC by Friday...Not that urgent for me but i don't want the truck damaged by a lower bid shipper either.

Here is a copy of the title, I covered the OR name & address for obvious reasons and a copy of a pic of the front and side to show width of bed. I don't have one of the underside rear end. Just a closeup of the Alcoa rims.

Old 10-24-2016, 04:02 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,110 Likes on 2,170 Posts
so we finally get to the bottom of this mystery!!
that is a centurion conversion vehicle. and there in is why it is a F250 dually.
it left the ford factory as a F250 4X4 SRW pickup with bed delete, and was shipped to centurion. they did a dually conversion on it, and sent it to the selling dealership. i wonder if it has a dana 60 front axle, or the D50 IFS still under the front?

Old 10-24-2016, 04:22 PM
lambone
Senior User
I don't know which front axle is on it? I'll ask if he has a pic of it. There is nothing custom on it, other than the US Gear splitter, no badges, no wood trim, no name tags from Centurion and the original owner says he put the custom made bed on it from a local fabricator after he picked it up from dealer???

Anywhere I can look to see if it has been a Centurion build and all that identification stuff has been taken off of it?

Old 10-24-2016, 04:32 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,110 Likes on 2,170 Posts
oh crap, i just realized after looking at the picture closer that it has a flatbed and not a pickup bed, and what i thought was the centurion paint scheme was actually the custom flatbed.
it still may very well be a custom made rig buy one of the builders like centurion though, because it has the gear splitter overdrive and dually conversion.

Old 10-24-2016, 04:36 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Yeah, I don't think Centurion ever did custom dually flat(tish) beds. IIRC, they put dually fenders on stock pickup beds (to the horror of some), and bolted them onto the incompletes that they got from the factory. They might have also used actual dually pickup beds.

Y'know, since that's not a pickup bed, rather than getting guesstimate measurements, why not just contact the seller and ask him to measure the overall width? That bed looks like it could be even wider than a dually pickup bed.

That's gonna be a head-turner when you get it. Be prepared to get a lot of questions from curious rubbernecking bystanders....

Old 10-24-2016, 04:37 PM
lambone
Senior User
Here is another pic. Shows the bed better.

Old 10-24-2016, 04:41 PM
lambone
Senior User
I did...He said 96 inches. I wanted to compare that to actual width of a stock dually fender width.

Old 10-24-2016, 08:06 PM
Mudsport96
Cargo Master
Received 372 Likes on 285 Posts
What are the odds the original owner put spacers on a SRW axle to run DRWs and that's what's throwing everyone off? Just a thought I had....

https://www.southwestwheel.com/c-10-dual-wheel-adapters.aspx
​​​​​​​
like such

Old 10-24-2016, 09:27 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
this is sooooooo interesting.the problem here is the VIN.this appears to be the first VIN ever posted to come up as:

FD - cab and chassis.- this does not mean it simply came without a pickup bed (as in stripped pickup chassis) .the FD in the VIN means it has a narrower frame spacing.narrower rear springs and by default makes it a "DRW vehicle.

however,with this said.look how wide the rear is! it looks to be a pickup DRW width and not a cab and chassis like the VIN indicates it is.
meaning,regular pickup frame spacing,3" wide rear springs and a true f350,sterling 10.25 DRW pickup axle.

the X26 - makes it a F-250 super cab,4wd.

im at a loss.it appears you have a specially ordered 1 of 1 vehicle directly off the assembly line.unless someone can prove otherwise.i would love to see more pics! now of the rear and front axles.the frame spacing and rear leafs and a pic of the hubs up front with the wheels off.i have a feeling it's all going to be factory f350 DRW pickup stuff,front to rear.

the FD and the X26 are just both out of place for a production f250 pickup VIN.i don't understand.

i gotta see the door jam sticker! insist the seller provide it!

edit; you know what.im probably wrong.cab and chassis trucks with the narrower spaced frames and 2.5" wide rear leafs are probably "FC" trucks.maybe that's where im going wrong with that part.
then the truck (pickup) was likely just converted after.yeah.this is all it's got to be...........so yes.right madpogue.i agree with your post #35.i think you've got it right on.has to be.it's the only logical explanation.

Old 10-25-2016, 09:48 AM
raystankewitz
Posting Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Just my $0.02 USD worth

If this is a conversion from the factory, it will have a DSO number on the door jamb sticker, showing it was special ordered this way. If there is no DSO number present, this was a dealer-constructed piece. By what has been said, I'm guessing it was ordered but not as a dually.

It very well may have been an incomplete that was destined to have a service box installed. When I worked in traffic signals in the early '80's, we had several F250 service vehicles. They all had stickers in the door jamb stating they were incomplete vehicles as shipped and the local service truck converter put his sticker in the jamb, stating it was converted by that company.

I'm betting dollars to donuts it is a dealer conversion, it still has its D50 front TTB and aftermarket dually spacers all around. If I remember right, that bed is for fifth wheel and gooseneck trailers. The bed sides should be fiberglass.

Nobody is going to haul this one in an enclosed trailer, since it's just a bit too wide for that. Best you could do is find a company that has an open trailer with an aeroshield nose that measures 8' 6" wide.

Quick Reply: Buying a Ford F250 dually