Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a Ford F250 dually

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 05:48 PM
bbf385
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
There was a regular cab F250 4x4 dually tow truck around and always thought it wasn't original. Maybe it was. It had the D50 TTB too.

Old 10-30-2016, 05:54 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by bbf385
There was a regular cab F250 4x4 dually tow truck around and always thought it wasn't original. Maybe it was.
oh it was original alright.originally converted.

Old 10-30-2016, 06:22 PM
raystankewitz
Posting Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Some info

Just to either debunk or confuse the issue further, I ran my VIN on my 1997 F250HD on FordEtis:

VIN 1FTHF26GXVECxxxxx

Build Date:
03.06.1997 Vehicle Line: C346 APA MCA China Body Style: Single Cab (2 Door) Version: 350 Series Engine: 7.5L OHV EFI NA V8 Gas Transmission: E4OD(4R100) Drive: LHD 4WD (PTD) Axle Ratio: 4.10 Emission: With Altitude Requirements Air Conditioning: Manual Air Conditioning Paint: Oxford White #2
Minor Features
  • Medium Opal Grey
  • Styleside Box - STL Inner/Outer
  • 133"/3378MM Wheelbase
  • (-)"XL"
  • Kentucky Truck Plant Build
  • Less Special Equipment Package
  • With Convenience Group
  • 8800 LB. GVW
  • With Off Road Appearance Pack
  • With Rubber Floor Covering
  • With Noise Insulation Pack
  • With Heavy Duty Trailer Towing
  • Single Cab (2 Door)
  • Rear Bumper - Steel Step - Black
  • With Front Licence Plate Bracket
  • With Steel Spare Wheel
  • LT235/85R-16E BSW A-T Tyres
  • With Conventional Spare Tyre
  • With Heavy Duty Suspension
  • With Handling Package
  • Less Rear Axle Limited Slip Diff
  • 7.5L OHV EFI NA V8 Gas
  • With Skid Plates
  • With Tilt Steering Wheel
  • With Speed Control
  • Heavy Duty Battery
  • Electronic AM/FM/Stereo With Clock
  • With NAAO Radio Frequency
  • With Light Group
  • Oxford White #2
  • 350 Series
  • E4OD(4R100)
  • C346 APA MCA China
So there you go - not entirely correct, no Off Road appearance package, the radio may have been changed before I took stewardship of it as it has a plain Ford AM radio. It actually has a rating of 8600 GVW and it doesn't have altitude emissions. Other than that, it's correct except for saying F350 series in the report.

I have been told an F250HD is just an F350 with a TTB by several people that have ties to FoMoCo.

I have a friend that has a former city truck, a 1995 F250/8800 GVW. It has a D in the VIN for incomplete truck, a Ford-applied sticker in the doorjamb stating it was an incomplete vehicle and another sticker that says it's been completed by a local truck body supplier. He was fortunate to get the full paperwork that shows it was ordered w/o a bed.

Discuss amongst yourselves for a few moments.

Last edited by raystankewitz; 10-30-2016 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Missing information
Old 10-31-2016, 01:40 AM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by raystankewitz
I have been told an F250HD is just an F350 with a TTB by several people that have ties to FoMoCo.
That's very much true. In this era of truck, the only differences are the badges, the 4wd front axle, and the size of the blocks under the rear leaf springs. And the GVWR, if you're interested in the paper trail.

Old 10-31-2016, 04:23 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 60 Likes on 49 Posts
With the F250 gvw(8800lbs)
The F250 Vin (26)
The F250 front axle(dana 50)
The F250 single wheels(door jam sticker says so)

There is no doubt in my mind that this started out as a F250 SINGLE rear wheel and it was converted to is current configuration

Old 10-31-2016, 11:03 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
yeah,the only thing odd about it,is the D in the vin indicating the truck is a cab and chassis.being an f250,ford should of used a different vin code here imo to show the truck is still a pickup but with bed delete,rather than sharing the vin D like a drw cab and chassis truck.i dunno why they did this but it is what it is.it's still just a f250 pickup sold without a bed,as opposed to a narrow frame spacing/narrow rear leaf spring, vehicle.

Old 10-31-2016, 11:36 AM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
I don't think the front axle was confirmed, unless I missed it. But I agree with Brad's premise 100%.

Old 10-31-2016, 06:26 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by andym
I don't think the front axle was confirmed, unless I missed it. But I agree with Brad's premise 100%.
The pic of how low the front sits confirms it for me. A Dana 60 front would sit Much higher

Old 11-01-2016, 09:57 AM
raystankewitz
Posting Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Doing a bit of asking around, the "D" in the VIN means incomplete vehicle, not C&C. According to my sources (that may or may not be reliable, depending on amount of alcohol consumed), any truck shipped without a bed will have a "D" in the VIN and an incomplete vehicle sticker in the doorjamb.

I'm not sure how this would apply to F-Superduty and F-450/550.

We have several trucks at work that most likely started as incomplete C&C vehicles so I'll take a look at the VIN numbers to see what I find.

Old 11-01-2016, 06:02 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by raystankewitz
Doing a bit of asking around, the "D" in the VIN means incomplete vehicle, not C&C. According to my sources (that may or may not be reliable, depending on amount of alcohol consumed), any truck shipped without a bed will have a "D" in the VIN and an incomplete vehicle sticker in the doorjamb.

I'm not sure how this would apply to F-Superduty and F-450/550.

We have several trucks at work that most likely started as incomplete C&C vehicles so I'll take a look at the VIN numbers to see what I find.
All 3 of my cab-n-chassis trucks have a D in the 3 slot. Pickups have a T

By the way Cab-n-chassi means just that. a Cab with a bare chassis(AKA no bed)

Old 11-01-2016, 06:24 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
^^^^ Well, we _usually_ use "cab & chassis" to refer to the trucks built on the narrower _frame_, with the shorter rear axle, etc. This one is obviously an exception. I would say a more encompassing term for both types of trucks would be the very one Ford uses - "incomplete vehicle".

Old 11-08-2016, 12:13 AM
lambone
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I got back here to Texas Friday afternoon after driving the 1598 miles in less than 42 hrs. I was not surprised with the dismal MPG but I was perplexed by the US Gear unit. I didn't really track the first tank of gas as it was up hill over the mountains out of central California on I-40E while I was getting acquainted with the split shifting unit hooked up to the ZF5 transmission.

As far as milage, on the best tank I got 12.9 MPG, the worse was a disappointing 10.6 MPG. Now the confusing part is I got the better milage when not using the US Gear unit. I alternated tanks using it and then not using it on every other full tank and ran about an average of 200 miles per tank. I maintained a steady 65-70 MPH the whole trip. I divided the milage by the gallons on each topped off tank and each time, on the tanks I did not use the splitter on, I got the better milage???

The engine would drop to around 1550 RPM when the 5th and a half gear was engaged but the truck seemed to drag a little. I could feel a bind on the rear and not much power was left over. It didn't seem like I was getting the power out of the 460ci 7.5 liter that I've enjoyed on other trucks equipped with this engine. It would take time to increase the speed to around 70 MPH without really putting your foot into it. I never redlined it.

It is an all stock engine with the California emissions package intact so I will be looking at options to open the engine up and help it breathe a little better. So any recommendations are appreciated. I noticed that with each shift with the splitter engaged after 4th & 5th had about a 300 RPM difference, so a significant reduction in RPM was seen but not in MPG gain? Maybe I'm not using this unit correctly but can anyone explain how a lower RPM does not equate to a higher MPG???

And to answer all the questions and the confusing VIN, the truck WAS originally ordered as a "C & C", bed delete, (code 66D) through Century Ford with a SRW axle and a Dana 50 front axle and then had the dually conversion done at a local fabrication shop thru the dealer. The bed is all metal, not fiberglass and shows a list price of $3225, the US Gear unit lists for $3551. The Alcoa wheels are listed at $1047 and the adapters are not cheap ones either, they are shown on the invoice at $909 and the total invoice has a MSRP as equipped total of $36,782.38. Rather pricey, even for 1997.

The truck is almost as clean and original as the day it was driven off the lot and now has just over 63k miles after the drive home. I'm very happy with it even if some of the commenters think it is a "hack job" though an argument can be made about that, being as it was a dealer prepped custom made truck.

So is it a F250HD XL 4X4 Dually? It came off of the Dealer lot as one so I'm confident in calling it one now. Custom ordered and a conversion? Yes, but one none the less.

I made one mandatory stop on the way back...

standin' on the corner...

Old 11-08-2016, 04:34 AM
jplinville
Posting Guru
65-70 mph is why your mileage was poor. You're driving something with all the aerodynamics of a dairy barn. These were designed to operate with optimal mpg at 55 mph. All in all, your numbers aren't that bad. I drove my 89 F250 with about 1000 lbs of stuff in the bed, pulling a 92 Lincoln MK VII from UT to PA, and averaged around 9 MPG at 60-65 MPH. Sure, I blew the rear main seal in Nebraska and dumped a ton of oil between there and here, but it made it. LOL

Delete as much of the California emission as you legally can, get a better cat added. That will let it breathe much easier. Also, with the low mileage on the clock, a complete tune up will likely be in order...which will probably increase the MPG a hair.

As for the gears...I don't have experience there. I'm sure someone with more knowledge of the system will pop in.

Old 11-08-2016, 04:36 AM
jplinville
Posting Guru
BTW...very sharp looking truck. To me, it's begging for an oak side rail about 12" tall on the sides of the bed.

Old 11-08-2016, 04:42 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by lambone

And to answer all the questions and the confusing VIN, the truck WAS originally ordered as a "C & C", bed delete, (code 66D) through Century Ford with a SRW axle and a Dana 50 front axle and then had the dually conversion done at a local fabrication shop thru the dealer. The bed is all metal, not fiberglass and shows a list price of $3225, the US Gear unit lists for $3551. The Alcoa wheels are listed at $1047 and the adapters are not cheap ones either, they are shown on the invoice at $909 and the total invoice has a MSRP as equipped total of $36,782.38. Rather pricey, even for 1997.

The truck is almost as clean and original as the day it was driven off the lot and now has just over 63k miles after the drive home. I'm very happy with it even if some of the commenters think it is a "hack job" though an argument can be made about that, being as it was a dealer prepped custom made truck.

So is it a F250HD XL 4X4 Dually? It came off of the Dealer lot as one so I'm confident in calling it one now. Custom ordered and a conversion? Yes, but one none the less.

.[/I]
No confusion on our part, it was Yours. We ALL told you it was a F250 that was converted to a dually. YOU were the one arguing that Fact

As for the hack part. Once you show us the front "adapters", that will let us know if it was a quality conversion or a hack

Quick Reply: Buying a Ford F250 dually