1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Help me prove my point!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 07:04 PM
dadgonebroke
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Help me prove my point!

My truck is currently at Terry's F100's in Stromsberg, Nebraska, getting a fiberglass replacement for my rusty roof and at the same time, glassmanbruce is adding a big back window conversion. Terry's trying to grow his business and I'd like to show the importance of social media. Help me prove a that social media (i.e. Facebook, Twitter and the like) are important assets to get the word out for businesses. Can you help me increase the likes for "Terry's F100 Parts" Facebook page. I want to show them it can really help!

This is not a scam guys- just help me and put a "like" on Terry's F100 Parts page (https://www.facebook.com/terrysf100parts/about/). Terry and his guys make some super quality fiberglass products for our trucks and Terry's has tons of good used parts for our trucks too! It's easy- take a look at his page- it's pretty nice with lots of pix. If you think it's pretty good- hit the "like"- it's easy. Thanks in advance!

Old 10-14-2016, 07:08 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,132 Likes on 2,656 Posts
No can do because I don't support Facebook..

Old 10-14-2016, 07:53 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
I have to agree with 56Panel. As the owner of a small business that has a FB account, I am not a fan. The owner of the business cannot police that enough. All it takes is for one person to type something stupid on your "timeline", and you can lose a lot of business. You'd be amazed what people will post on a public FB page like that. For instance, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if somebody posted something like "your fenders really stink" or "How much longer are you gonna keep my truck in your shop", "I have a new credit card", "Did you tell me to come pick up my truck on Thursday or Friday?", etc. The people using FB cannot be trusted to understand the difference between issues that are private, and comments that have their place on a public FB page. I have personally seen no correlation between the number of "likes" and the number of people coming through the door. On the flip side, I see some really stupid things get shared on my personal FB "newsfeed" because one of my FB friends "liked" some obscure FB site (a lot of times it's things like Lowes, Home Depot, or the Dollar Store) five years ago. For instance, if you "like" Walmart on FB, that's great, but you just lined up hundreds of your FB friends to see all of the blue-light specials that Walmart may advertise for the next umpteen years.

The most important thing I saw on their FB page is an actual webpage link at the bottom of the page. I clicked on it, and it was much more appealing to me as a possible customer. So I guess you're right in your claim that FB really gets the word out, but there's a cost and risk for the business owner. To even muddy the water further, if a person searches for a FB page for a business that doesn't have a pre-existing FB page, FB is "smart" enough nowadays to literally ask that person if they want to start a FB page for that business, regardless of whether or not they even work there or have any association whatsoever.

Old 10-14-2016, 08:04 PM
df85732
Fleet Mechanic
Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts
Done! Can't believe I only live 60 miles away from Terry's and haven't been up there yet! I think it's time for a Road Trip!

Old 10-14-2016, 08:08 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by df85732
Done! Can't believe I only live 60 miles away from Terry's and haven't been up there yet! I think it's time for a Road Trip!

On the other hand, THIS is the perfect argument against my post above. LOL. That's great!! FB has its good points, and it has its bad points.

Old 10-14-2016, 08:34 PM
EBEAR
Cargo Master
Received 542 Likes on 309 Posts
Don't do facebook or any of the other , I most often don't care what some one had for breakfast

Old 10-14-2016, 09:20 PM
dadgonebroke
Tuned
Originally Posted by EBEAR
Don't do facebook or any of the other , I most often don't care what some one had for breakfast
Have you ever had a problem with a product- as Facebook is a great place to voice a concern in a nice way. I was having a slow internet problem with AT&T and posted- nicely on their page. Within 10 minutes- I was contacted on Facebook asking for my phone number. Within an hour, an actual nice person from AT&T technical, called and spent an hour and a half helping me go through settings, etc. and actually helped fix the issue.

Old 10-14-2016, 09:50 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by dadgonebroke
Have you ever had a problem with a product- as Facebook is a great place to voice a concern in a nice way. I was having a slow internet problem with AT&T and posted- nicely on their page. Within 10 minutes- I was contacted on Facebook asking for my phone number. Within an hour, an actual nice person from AT&T technical, called and spent an hour and a half helping me go through settings, etc. and actually helped fix the issue.

That is very true, BUT how does that benefit Terry? How does an avenue that allows a disgruntled customer to post a public complaint (that can be seen by many, many other potential customers) benefit his company? I hate to be devil's advocate, but you said in your first post that you're trying to show Terry how it would benefit his company. Your argument to Terry should be that he'll get more exposure possible customers, not the possibility that his customers can call him out in public with a FB page. Trust me, I've dealt with AT&T a LOT over the past 6 months. They're a ruthless, inept company. You hit them where it hurts when you made a public FB post.

Old 10-14-2016, 10:53 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
I don't do bookface...

Old 10-15-2016, 12:35 AM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
OK. I did my part!

Old 10-15-2016, 02:14 AM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
Sorry, I'm with Doc on this. Facebook is many things, but gateway for new business it ain't. The whole platform is filled with so much drivel ( see cat videos), reshared tripe ( see 99% of meme content), and is a disorganized mess in presenting useful info. Adding to the randomness is the splintering of online presence. Those active online tend to have accounts in platforms beyond FB: Instagram, Pinterest, and others stuff about which I'm ignorant. So the strategy is to chase the 'market' across all of them? Don't get me started on the further isolation from specialized apps.

Now, I'm old, smell funny, and know how to fold a paper road map. I do appreciate how younger folk easily interact with a multitude of sites to entertain, manage, and improve certain aspects of everyday life. What i haven't seen, is an improvement in the intersection of online and brick 'n mortar worlds. Too many Google results reflect ad placements that are irrevelant to the search topic. This is especialy true when looking for 'local' services.

The comment from Dave is a case in point. He should have already known about Terry's offerings with a simple search of 'F100 parts' that picked up on his location. Instead, he would have seen a forced placement for CJ Pony Parts in Harrisburg, PA. Now, I'm sure CJ has a nice store and all, but they DON'T SELL ANY TRUCK STUFF. Terry's business is nowhere to be found. Wouldn't it make more sense to present yourself easily to people who are already interested in your business? Do that and you'll have a solution. Another poorly maintained FB page? Not so much.

Thanks for asking. What was the question again?

Old 10-15-2016, 02:51 AM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by EBEAR
Haha, ain't that the truth.

Old 10-15-2016, 07:57 AM
dadgonebroke
Tuned
Terry's F100's

Well- I guess I'm the only idiot in this crowd as even though I knew about Terry's- I made contact for the work done through Facebook, questions were asked and arrangements for the work were made via Facebook.
I guess I'm just an old stone as I appreciate the local restaurant in town posting their specials for the evening on Facebook for customers to peruse. Those postings have helped bring me into their establishment more than a few times. Just sayin.

Old 10-15-2016, 10:46 AM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
The one business facebook page I used had to have my comment approved by the administrator before it actually was posted on the page. That can be used to protect the business but also censor feedback, so works both ways.
I generally dont search facebook for businesses, only the internet for webpages.

Old 10-15-2016, 09:26 PM
Wolfracing
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow. I found a group I fit into. No facebook for me...ever.

Quick Reply: Help me prove my point!