Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

91 f150 ECM replacement nightmare!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 10:35 AM
Cannondale372
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cannondale372
I found a couple ecms to try, but I noticed that the uninsulated ground from the harness right at the ecm plug is dry and frayed, but the black insulated grounds and my other grounds have been cleaned and checked but could that dried up wire ground be causing this trouble?
Is a 92-93 ecm plug pin out chart valid for my 91? Should be correct as the ecms interchange.

Old 10-13-2016, 10:53 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts
They use the same 60 pin plugs if that is what you are asking.

Old 10-13-2016, 10:57 AM
Cannondale372
New User
Originally Posted by subford
They use the same 60 pin plugs if that is what you are asking.
Yes and the same pins do the same thing and are in the same location so I can splice my good e40d original trans ecm with my spare ecm plug wires into my harness hooked up to one of my none e40d transmission ecms. Crazy yes but should work? I think so and that way I could have a wider range of replacement options for ignition problems and transmission problems.

Old 10-13-2016, 11:16 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
I have no idea what you are talking about.
The non E4OD computers do not have the same number of output (grounding) SS switching devices (transistors).
Also there are different programs in them for engine sizes.

Old 10-13-2016, 11:22 AM
Cannondale372
New User
I have no idea what you are talking about.
The non E4OD computers do not have the same number of output (grounding) SS switching devices (transistors).
Also there are different programs in them for engine sizes.
I want to take my existing plug and connect a non e4od ecm to it. Then take my OEM ecm with its e4od programming, and splice the 5 or 6 e4od only wires to a second ecm plug that will plug into it. Hence give my ignition system one ecm and my second ecm would run off the e40d computer. Bc non e4od ecms don't use the pins designated for e4od computers.

Old 10-13-2016, 04:04 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
No, that will not work. If you're going to go through that amount of effort, you could probably find the issue in your harness causing E4OD PCMs to not work.

Old 10-13-2016, 04:12 PM
Cannondale372
New User
Originally Posted by Lead Head
No, that will not work. If you're going to go through that amount of effort, you could probably find the issue in your harness causing E4OD PCMs to not work.
But the e4od components and their wiring don't affect ignition I know no one has splice two into one but I'm only using the second for operating the trans servos and sensors. If you are so firm on it being a wire issue were or what would I check?

Old 10-13-2016, 04:50 PM
Ranger80
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not true.
The PCM program for the 1994 and newer trucks has a CCD program and not a push start program.
Yes it will start and operate a truck but the truck will not run as well and will set an errors with less power and more MPG.
It isn't in the programming. The only difference is that the CCD version uses the falling edge of the SPOUT signal from the PCM to turn on the coil (computer controlled dwell). Pin #4 on these modules goes directly to pin #4 (IDM in) on the PCM. On the push start version, the module controls the dwell. Pin #4 on these modules is the start signal in, and the ground from the coil goes through a 22k ohm resistor to IDM in on the PCM. The falling edge of SPOUT isn't utilized in this setup. I just went through this last week in my '92. I swapped my 302 for a 351w from a '94 Bronco (which had the CCD system), using a '95 F250 PCM. I transferred all the wiring from the 302 over to the 351. Since the wiring itself was original to the '92, I had to use my original push start module. No issues whatsoever.

Old 10-13-2016, 06:14 PM
Eddiec1564
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
I want to take my existing plug and connect a non e4od ecm to it. Then take my OEM ecm with its e4od programming, and splice the 5 or 6 e4od only wires to a second ecm plug that will plug into it. Hence give my ignition system one ecm and my second ecm would run off the e40d computer. Bc non e4od ecms don't use the pins designated for e4od computers.
That is called "piggy-backing" the processors. It's MUCH more involved than 5 or 6 wires though!

You must feed all correct inputs to both ECU's to both can see engine functions to "process" data and control(hopefully) the outputs accordingly. PITA in my view.

I have seen others do this and had more problems than ever before! Than again some had successful ventures with piggy-backing ECUs.

In this entire thread I have not see any CODES pulled. That should be done before parts swapping and would help.

I have ran a 92 F150 I6/E4OD ECU in my 89 F250 with I6/AOD till I found a correct ECU. It ran just fine but the ECU had bunch of E4OD codes set, MPG/power was no change when I got the correct ECU.

Look in the vans, you may have a better chance of finding the 5.0/E4OD setup than in the pickups. I have seen many setups in the yards and most are not touched as most people don't think the parts are interchangeable.

Old 10-13-2016, 06:21 PM
Cannondale372
New User
Originally Posted by Eddiec1564
That is called "piggy-backing" the processors. It's MUCH more involved than 5 or 6 wires though!

You must feed all correct inputs to both ECU's to both can see engine functions to "process" data and control(hopefully) the outputs accordingly. PITA in my view.

I have seen others do this and had more problems than ever before! Than again some had successful ventures with piggy-backing ECUs.

In this entire thread I have not see any CODES pulled. That should be done before parts swapping and would help.

I have ran a 92 F150 I6/E4OD ECU in my 89 F250 with I6/AOD till I found a correct ECU. It ran just fine but the ECU had bunch of E4OD codes set, MPG/power was no change when I got the correct ECU.

Look in the vans, you may have a better chance of finding the 5.0/E4OD setup than in the pickups. I have seen many setups in the yards and most are not touched as most people don't think the parts are interchangeable.
Yes piggybacking. As nd I've been looking at this http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/ford/4.9L-5.0L-5.8L/pcm-pin-outs , and it tells me all the e4od pins and I figured I need to run both power wires and all listed e4od wires to my second ecm. Around 7-10 wires. I was gonna use wire splice caps and if it works sotter the piggybacks. I also thought of piggybacking the fuel rail wires but the ignition system would be harder to mess with rather then just piggybacking a second ecu to run the transmissions solenoids and sensors.

Old 10-13-2016, 06:35 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Ranger80
It isn't in the programming.
It is in the programming.
The wave forms below show the difference between a push-start and a CCD computer output SPOUT to the ICM.

How it works:
The internal circuitry of the ICM will have one of two possible arrangements, push start or computer controlled dwell (CCD). The push start system allows for increased dwell, or coil ON time, when starting the engine. The ICM on this system determines when to turn the coil ON based upon engine rpm information. The coil is then fired, or turned OFF, whenever a rising edge of a SPOUT signal is encountered ( «Figure 5»). The SPOUT signal, short for SPark OUTput, is a digital signal generated by the PCM providing spark angle information to the ICM. The SPOUT signal on the push start system controls only the firing of the coil. The falling edge of the SPOUT signal is ignored. The CCD system, however, does use both edges of the SPOUT signal ( «Figure 6»). The SPOUT signal for the CCD system is same as in the push start except that the falling edge is now generated to control the time at which the coil is turned ON. The coil ON time, or dwell, for this system is thus entirely controlled by the SPOUT signal. The ICM does not internally determine when to turn the coil ON as it does on the push start system. It responds directly to the SPOUT signal it receives.

Old 10-13-2016, 07:05 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Yes piggybacking. As nd I've been looking at this 1992-1993 Ford Pickup PCM Pin Out Chart (4.9L, 5.0L, 5.8L Only) , and it tells me all the e4od pins and I figured I need to run both power wires and all listed e4od wires to my second ecm. Around 7-10 wires. I was gonna use wire splice caps and if it works sotter the piggybacks. I also thought of piggybacking the fuel rail wires but the ignition system would be harder to mess with rather then just piggybacking a second ecu to run the transmissions solenoids and sensors.
You would also have to run the MLPS, O/D Switch, O/D Light, Brake Switch, 4x4 Switch, TPS, VSS, PIP, all the power (including KAM and Switched 12v) and all the ground wires. By the time you're done, there would only be a handful of wires you wouldn't have to hook up.

Here's another reason why your idea wouldn't work: Whatever problem is preventing your E4OD computers from working, will also prevent an E4OD computer that's piggy-backed on from working too.

Old 10-13-2016, 07:31 PM
Eddiec1564
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Hi guys, ............................ I would have intermittent starting problems, bit would always fire up. Now it just cranks and cranks, fuel pumps kick on, get good spark, good pressure to fuel rails, so I cranked it and pulled a plug out immediately and it was dry. So I tested the fuel rail power signal and I get no signal to the fuel rail.

. So, I then went to a couple pick and pull yards, got three computers out of similar year and option trucks but couldn't find one with a e4od in it. I bought them anyways bc I was really wanting to see if it would start and the computers I have are all for a 5.0 so I knew that it would at least start my truck to test if my ECM was toast. All three ecms I bought start the truck and it runs perfect but as expected it won't operate my e4od
Chad
Here's a simple test, use the original ECU with the no fuel injection control problem. Unplug ALL E4OD plugs on the transmission and try starting engine. If engine runs then something in tranny is shorting out the EPCP/VPWR on pin 37 of ECU. That feeds injectors and E4OD power via the EEC power relay.

When checking the fuel injectors for power, with key on/engine off you should get power on both sides of the injector. The ECU grounds injector to fire it off.

The best way to see if injectors are firing off is use a "noid" light, its a fancy light bulb socket and lamp that plugs into the injector harness. It will blink when injector is firing. I use a test light and tap in the injector's wiring with sewing pins to get connection(make sure you do not short anything out!)

Old 10-13-2016, 07:45 PM
Cannondale372
New User
Originally Posted by Eddiec1564
Here's a simple test, use the original ECU with the no fuel injection control problem. Unplug ALL E4OD plugs on the transmission and try starting engine. If engine runs then something in tranny is shorting out the EPCP/VPWR on pin 37 of ECU. That feeds injectors and E4OD power via the EEC power relay.

When checking the fuel injectors for power, with key on/engine off you should get power on both sides of the injector. The ECU grounds injector to fire it off.

The best way to see if injectors are firing off is use a "noid" light, its a fancy light bulb socket and lamp that plugs into the injector harness. It will blink when injector is firing. I use a test light and tap in the injector's wiring with sewing pins to get connection(make sure you do not short anything out!)
I'll do that test, but I found out at work running the ecm part numbers I got were from Canada made f150s. So I'm still firm on it being the ecm but I'm all about tests so I'll give the unplug test a try but I power eashed the engine bay the day before it stopped starting. I washed it truck running and had no issues that whole day. I went the next morning to start and no fire. Intuition tells me the plug got wet sat over night and went to start and shorted it out. I have a question, if I start in D with the wrong ecm it will barely move, but if I go to 1 it has almost full power and I can drive it and manually shift to D once around 35 and then it shifts and drives fine( with the wrong trans code ecm). Can I drive it like this without hard to my transmission? I didn't smell anything or have any running issues.

Old 10-13-2016, 08:21 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
The transmission isn't doing anything with the manual transmission ECM. With the manual transmission ECM, the E4OD defaults to 4th gear in the "D" position and 2nd gear in the "1" or "2" position.

Quick Reply: 91 f150 ECM replacement nightmare!!