Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

302 won't stop pinging

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 08:57 PM
BeholdenZippy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 10-08-2016, 09:02 PM
BeholdenZippy
Senior User
I did run some sea foam through and I did notice some smoke coming from the connection of the exhaust manifold and y pipe. Would it be possible that air could enter the exhaust and then return to the engine through the egr system?

Old 10-09-2016, 10:40 AM
stak
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
check the connection on the radio suppressor where it connects to the ignition coil. if it is clean and tight then you should replace the radio suppressor. i had the same problem with mine. would ping and have a power loss issue. sounded like the ignition timing was too far advanced. but it was dead on. i replaced the suppressor and problem was salved.

The following users liked this post:
Old 10-09-2016, 10:48 AM
BeholdenZippy
Senior User
Originally Posted by stak
check the connection on the radio suppressor where it connects to the ignition coil. if it is clean and tight then you should replace the radio suppressor. i had the same problem with mine. would ping and have a power loss issue. sounded like the ignition timing was too far advanced. but it was dead on. i replaced the suppressor and problem was salved.
Sorry for the ignorance but what is that part? Could I get a picture?

Old 10-09-2016, 11:02 AM
stak
Junior User
it is the small single wire electrical part attached to the coil. it is supposed to help filter out noise in the radio. but it also has something to do with the ignition itself. i unplugged mine and the truck ran like crap with out it. sorry i can not get a photo up

Old 10-09-2016, 11:07 AM
BeholdenZippy
Senior User
it is the small single wire electrical part attached to the coil. it is supposed to help filter out noise in the radio. but it also has something to do with the ignition itself. i unplugged mine and the truck ran like crap with out it. sorry i can not get a photo up
I will take a look at it. My engine does run good other than the pinging though.

Old 10-09-2016, 02:34 PM
BeholdenZippy
Senior User
Radio suppressor seems to be working. I have no interference on my radio.

Old 10-09-2016, 04:18 PM
BeholdenZippy
Senior User
Originally Posted by wtroger
Heat, lean, to much advance is what causes pinging. My guess is lean. You either still have a vacuum leak or the MAF is bad. Disconnect the MAF it will go into limp mode see if it pings then if it doesn't then I think that will be the culprit.
Just drove with it both plugged in and unplugged. Plugged in I couldn't get to 45 mph without it pinging. With it unplugged I could do put the pedal to the floor 0-70 without a single ping. You were right on the money. Any particular replacement brands that you would recommend?

Old 10-09-2016, 07:51 PM
stak
Junior User
best bet would be motorcraft if you can source one. autozone sells one but i don't know if it will work. i got mine from a salvage when looking for other parts.

The following users liked this post:
Old 10-09-2016, 08:47 PM
GoinBoarding
Cargo Master
Received 161 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by BeholdenZippy
Just drove with it both plugged in and unplugged. Plugged in I couldn't get to 45 mph without it pinging. With it unplugged I could do put the pedal to the floor 0-70 without a single ping. You were right on the money. Any particular replacement brands that you would recommend?
Thats wild. I've never heard of the suppressor causing pinging. Good to know.

Old 10-09-2016, 09:50 PM
BeholdenZippy
Senior User
Originally Posted by GoinBoarding
Thats wild. I've never heard of the suppressor causing pinging. Good to know.
Sorry if it was unclear. I mean't that in reference to the mass air flow sensor. I wasn't getting radio interference so I left the radio suppressor alone.

Old 10-09-2016, 09:53 PM
BeholdenZippy
Senior User
best bet would be motorcraft if you can source one. autozone sells one but i don't know if it will work. i got mine from a salvage when looking for other parts.
I do have a spare that came with a bunch of other parts that I bought. I tried using it some time ago and it didn't make a difference. Ford parts says they no longer make the sensor. If cleaning mine doesn't make a difference, would a Delphi be a good alternative?

Old 10-10-2016, 12:29 AM
GoinBoarding
Cargo Master
Received 161 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by BeholdenZippy
Sorry if it was unclear. I mean't that in reference to the mass air flow sensor. I wasn't getting radio interference so I left the radio suppressor alone.
Rereading the quote in your post, you were crystal clear, I just had a lapse in reading comprehension.

Old 10-10-2016, 07:49 AM
BeholdenZippy
Senior User
Originally Posted by GoinBoarding
Rereading the quote in your post, you were crystal clear, I just had a lapse in reading comprehension.
Happens to me too.😄

Old 10-10-2016, 12:29 PM
BeholdenZippy
Senior User
Both MAF sensors that I have say NGK on them. Am I correct in assuming that these a made by NGK?

Quick Reply: 302 won't stop pinging