Connecticut Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Trick or treat BS

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 01:28 PM
jthorngate3
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Trick or treat BS

I'll go ahead and start this up. I'm copying this from a thread I started in the 2017 Super Duty section:

Today I headed out to Bloomsburg Fair in PA to check out the "Drive the future of tough" event. It had been fairly rainy there the past few days so the track they had set up was decently muddy and the trucks were pretty dirty. I personally like a dirty truck just as much as a shiny clean one. This was the first time I have seen one of these trucks in person besides the XL at the local dealer here in CT. I was very impressed with the overall look of the truck. Very impressive and intimidating looking.

Onto the event. They had five trucks set up. Three to drive; an F250 Lariat 6.2L, an F350 Platinum 6.7L, and an F450 Platinum 6.7L. They also had two demo trucks; an F350 Platinum 6.7L for the regular camera demo, and an F350 KR 6.7L for the trailer camera/backup assist stuff. The backup assists were very much just visual cues for the trailer novice, but I liked them. The cameras were definitely pretty impressive.

As for driving impressions, the track they had for us to drive was less then an 1/8th mile circle. Probably 10 mph tops. They had a cone slalom set up for them to showcase the steering assist. Some guys here have mentioned that the steering wheels with the assist felt heavy and I absolutely agree. I did not notice it on the F450 which they actually had set up to turn it on and off so you could see the difference, but the steering wheel on the gas truck was very noticeably heavier. I wish I could have driven them on a better cicuit that allowed more speed to get a better feel for how they drove, but it was fun to be in one nonetheless.

I also took note of the taillight gap issue. I will be completely honest, I actually had to go back to the event area to look at it because I didn't pay attention to it the first time. That alone should say something. I am a details oriented kind of guy, and I had to actively be looking for it, within probably 50 feet for me to really notice it, and even then it wasn't terrible. A little odd maybe, but not an eyesore as some have mentioned. That taillight is massive!

Here are a few pictures. I was admittedly a bit too excited to remember pictures of details, interiors, and even a full truck and trailer.

Name:  20161001_103441_zpsk6msjhcs.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  208.3 KB
Name:  20161001_103448_zpsv4zreiol.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  248.4 KB
Name:  20161001_103439_zps4ghpaogv.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  357.8 KB
Name:  20161001_103444_zpshvekmliv.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  297.7 KB
Name:  20161001_104018_zpspwagst0l.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  293.9 KB

Old 10-04-2016, 06:53 AM
RightWingNutJob
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like a fun event. But you're a better man than I.....

My local dealer has a few 2017 Superduties on the lot, but I haven't had the guts to go in and see one. I know I'd be in trouble if I tried one on for size. It'd be too detrimental to my financial health - there's no way I could afford a new truck and a divorce.

Old 10-04-2016, 11:47 AM
jbehuniak
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
that black 450 looks like its out of Minority Report or similar movie.
Yay October. Fired up the pellet stove yesterday. Ordered pellets last week. Bring on the winter once my truck is completed... Please no snow till the truck is done!

Old 10-09-2016, 03:02 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Good afternoon to everyone in Connecticut...

Old 10-09-2016, 04:12 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,132 Likes on 2,656 Posts
Hello Tim..

Old 10-09-2016, 04:45 PM
jbehuniak
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Happy Sunday. This rain isn't exactly good for working in the truck.

Old 10-10-2016, 09:06 PM
Towmanjbo
Cargo Master

Hello to October! Semi-sad day, sold the IH cabover today. I had no real plans for it and the parking space rent could be put to better use. So while I'm sad to see it go, I'm glad it is going to a good owner and not just to scrap for parts. Sold it to a semi-retired trucker/ farmer in PA. He's going to use it to haul hay a couple times a year.

Old 10-12-2016, 05:52 AM
rocdril
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Holy October Batman, nice post and pics Josiah

Old 10-22-2016, 11:32 AM
keyul
Postmaster
Afternoon everyone, finally managed to finish the motor swap on my car. It's back on the road again! I ended up with some more health issues that kept me away from working on it for a while but I had a full day this past Weekend to get it all done.

I've gotta do some service to the truck next. I'm thinking I'll replace all 4 shocks, all 4 calipers, rotors and pads, also replace all front end parts so new tiew rods, new ball joints, new upper and lower control arms. I'd like to get the front bumper replaced and get my cap painted to match then do tires.

Hope everyone is well

Old 10-22-2016, 01:44 PM
jthorngate3
Postmaster
That's a pretty good list, Kyle. I hope your health stuff is all sorted out. Nice work getting the car back on the road. That'll pay for itself in no time.

Old 10-23-2016, 09:56 AM
keyul
Postmaster
Originally Posted by jthorngate3
That's a pretty good list, Kyle. I hope your health stuff is all sorted out. Nice work getting the car back on the road. That'll pay for itself in no time.
Thanks, I'm pretty good now! And you're right, the car will pay for itself after a while. All in total, I have about $1100 into the car between the motor, new parts, tools and equipment, and the DMV fine. I still made out better than buying another car then potentially hjaving to fix whats wrong with that. I put it back on my insurance, it's incredibly cheap, only adds 21 dollars to my 6 month policy.

It's nice to be going the same distance as the truck but with less than half the gas.

I was looking over the truck good yesterday and I think I'll be replacing the knuckles on both sides of the truck as well, they are not looking good, lots of thick scaly rust. I've got quite the project ahead of me.

Nice thing right now is that a few tire companies have rebates available, as well as rancho shocks, and power stop brake systems. I'm gonna take advantage of that.

Old 10-23-2016, 10:40 AM
jthorngate3
Postmaster
It's always nice when rebates coincide with work that needs done. That truck is in such nice shape overall it seems like the work will be well worth it. Sticking with stock size tires?

Old 10-23-2016, 10:50 AM
keyul
Postmaster
It's always nice when rebates coincide with work that needs done. That truck is in such nice shape overall it seems like the work will be well worth it. Sticking with stock size tires?
One size up, I'll be going from 265/70R17 to 285/70R17, should fill the wheel wells out a little bit more

Old 10-23-2016, 01:29 PM
jthorngate3
Postmaster
Those will look good on there.

Old 10-23-2016, 04:59 PM
keyul
Postmaster
Those will look good on there.
Should definitely look a lot better!

I just ordered all my parts for the truck and the car

Fun time await, spent way more than I'd of liked to but it's all gotta get done.

I ordered the power stop Z36 Extreme Performance Truck & Tow complete brake kit for the truck, includes powdercoated rebuilt & upgraded calipers, pads, and drilled & slotted rotors for the front and rear. Best part about it is that after the core charge is refunded, and you get the $40 rebate in the mail, it costs slightly more than if I were to replace each piece individually with OE spec parts. You're getting a significantly better braking system for just a bit more!

The company has great reviews online and I'm excited to see how they do.

Quick Reply: Trick or treat BS