2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Camper Package

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2016, 05:39 PM
CGA
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Camper Package

Hi there, FNG here.

First off, thanks to all of you that have taken the time to provide some great information on all things Super Duty. I've been lurking here for the past 5 weeks and really appreciate the knowledge depth that some of the veterans have freely shared.

So, after 45 years of driving GM trucks, I've ordered my first ever Ford. My Dad is on his 3rd Ford, a 2015 F150 XLT after owning GM trucks for about 40 years.

If I get the lingo right, I ordered and F350 XLT SC 4x4, SRW, LWB, 6.2L, with a 3.73 locking rear end , 11500 GVWR. I bet Rasalas see's where this is going!

I ordered the Camper package because my wife and I want a full size hard wall (no slides) camper. So now that Stickergate has (hopefully) faded from the front page, my question is this:

Has anyone that has received their truck (and they all look fantastic!) ordered the Camper package? If so, I would like to see a picture of the sticker that should be in the glove box that lists the max weight of a slide in.

On my current truck, a 99 Chevy K2500 CC short bed with a 8600 GVWR, that sicker is a paltry 1750 lbs. No bueno! After running all the numbers the max wet weight that would keep within that GVWR was 2350 lbs. After I explained that to my wife, she said "We need a new truck". Yep, she's a keeper!

Thanks,
Carl

Old 10-01-2016, 06:41 PM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Carl, welcome to the forums. Maybe someone here has a similar build but I cannot provide you with that image but maybe sometime in the distant future I will have one. You may have it before I. From what I understand the sticker will give you the maximum payload amount and the center of gravity point in the box. As far as your payload amount you will find it in the chart below. Remember the camper pkg upgrades the front springs above the chart amount.

What is the weight of your camper wet? I have been using my F250 which has a MGW of 8800 lbs to haul my 2005 Lance which weighs 3100 lbs wet plus our personal stuff, food etc, and us. By the book we are quite a bit over so I added Firestone air ride with an onboard compressor. I do not anticipate that need with the new F350. If there is any handling issue my first step will be to engage the helper springs earlier with the TorqLift Stable Loads. I also intend to purchase the camper tie downs from them when they become available. They have been proto-typed and sent off for trial installations. Torklift International | Truck Camper Tie Downs | Towing | Steps & Handrails | Suspension

Depending on your desire to be completely within the bounds of the stickers your description of equipment should be good to go. Many have hauled on much less with very good success. Here is the chart:

Old 10-01-2016, 08:37 PM
CGA
Senior User
Hi Rob, nice to meet you.

Actually, we don't have a camper yet. My current truck isn't man enough for the job. We used to have a toy hauler, but it didn't really suit us. There are many older campgrounds here in California that you just can't get into with a trailer. Our main focus is off the beaten path, so a truck camper fulfills that criteria. And when we take our motorcycles, I have a 10ft trailer that is easy to get into tight spots. Our current list is Lance 850, Adventurer 89RB, and Wolf Creek 850, so I should be well within capacity.

I do know about Torklift, it's what I will use for tie downs. I figure by the time I get my truck, they will have some that fit.

My salesman gave me the weight chart he had access to. Makes for some interesting comparisons. I've been hesitant to post it, it might stir up some people. Notice the underlined Note. I was originally going to go with the 11400 GVWR derate, but found out that here in Cali I just have to sign a form to keep it out of the heavy truck weight fees. So a 4710 lb payload is completely crazy. That's why I'm curious to see the camper weight sticker.

Carl

Old 10-01-2016, 09:08 PM
Kevin's dad
Junior User
Hi Carl,
Do you have the CA DMV form number so I can look it up !

I' m also moving out go out 24' toy box and back to a new cab over,looking at getting a Lance 975 or maybe a Host Cascade.

I will be ordering a F-350 in the near future and would love not to pay our State any more in fee's.

Thanks,

Old 10-01-2016, 10:36 PM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CGA
Hi Rob, nice to meet you.

Actually, we don't have a camper yet. My current truck isn't man enough for the job. We used to have a toy hauler, but it didn't really suit us. There are many older campgrounds here in California that you just can't get into with a trailer. Our main focus is off the beaten path, so a truck camper fulfills that criteria. And when we take our motorcycles, I have a 10ft trailer that is easy to get into tight spots. Our current list is Lance 850, Adventurer 89RB, and Wolf Creek 850, so I should be well within capacity.

I do know about Torklift, it's what I will use for tie downs. I figure by the time I get my truck, they will have some that fit.

My salesman gave me the weight chart he had access to. Makes for some interesting comparisons. I've been hesitant to post it, it might stir up some people. Notice the underlined Note. I was originally going to go with the 11400 GVWR derate, but found out that here in Cali I just have to sign a form to keep it out of the heavy truck weight fees. So a 4710 lb payload is completely crazy. That's why I'm curious to see the camper weight sticker.

Carl

Two things. That weight chart circulated early on (April) and at the time there were discovered to be some discrepancies. There still are today but the newer charts seem to be a little more under control. You seem to have a good grasp or what you need and the CA restrictions and costs. Those you will have to decide for yourself. I would have gone with the dual rear wheels on the F350 if I didn't want the expense of tires, fuel and wide hips chasing me all the time.

Second is to remember that the Max payload is calculated without any options and supposedly no allowance for fuel and other items. Discussion varies on the actual truth behind it all but you will probably never see those numbers on the sticker even though the truck is capable of more than the sticker indicates some people play by the book, some push a little (or lot) over the edge. Some camper salesmen will sell you a double slide out for an F150. In a way ours did but years of vehicle experience brought me to a realistic solution; I do not rule out the Firestone Air suspension for this new truck. Time will tell.

Keep us informed of your progress and don't hesitate to contact me by PM if you need other information. I will do my best to help with these thoughts.

The Lance campers are known for their quality. Ours is a Model 1010 and we enjoy it very much. This spring we are headed to Alaska for a multi-month excursion. The brand of camper is important for quality but not any one camper will fit all needs. Choose the one with the features you need and then research the quality. Plenty of sites to do that on.

Old 10-02-2016, 09:28 AM
kylant
Fleet Mechanic
Received 110 Likes on 91 Posts
I am interested in this as well.
I have an Arctic Fox 811.
I am overloaded on my sierra 2500HD, hence the need to upgrade to the 350.
The gmc 3500 has a gvwr of 11,500. I don’t believe there is a weight penalty in CA more than the 2500. I see 3500s everyday and they don’t have any dot registration numbers on them.

Old 10-02-2016, 09:36 AM
CGA
Senior User
Kevin's Dad : I don't have the form number, I'll ask my salesman this week.

Rob: Yeah, right there on the form it says 'Data Subject to Change' hence my comment on the payload number being crazy. Thanks for the PM offer.

Alaska! My Dad's done that twice, he tows his teardrop everywhere. It's on our bucket list after I retire in 3 years. Should be an excellent adventure.

Old 10-02-2016, 05:06 PM
Robmiezer
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kylant
I am interested in this as well.
I have an Arctic Fox 811.
I am overloaded on my sierra 2500HD, hence the need to upgrade to the 350.
The gmc 3500 has a gvwr of 11,500. I don’t believe there is a weight penalty in CA more than the 2500. I see 3500s everyday and they don’t have any dot registration numbers on them.
I don't believe it will require a DOT number until after 26000 GCW (I may be wrong). But, it has nothing to do with 2500 vs 3500 it is 10,000 vs 11,500. But, many derate it to 11,400 to register as a pick up in CA. Throw a perm camper or shell and register it as a car!