Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Trans TC rattle

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 08:43 PM
flipper612
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trans TC rattle

I was searching and discovered this thread. Need help with a 99 7.3/4r100 4wd with the rattling torque converter.

Background. Sorry for long post.

I bought this truck 10-11 years ago to use as a tow rig for my landscaping company. It has been a great problem free truck, I have done brakes a few times, a water pump, ball joints but no issues with motor/drivetrain.

I don't know the history of the trans before I purchased. Ford didn't have history of it being replaced and even now it still has all the labeling on the case. I would have thought it would have been washed off in a rebuild. Again I don't know. When I bought the truck it shifted nice and crisp, having owned trucks before it made me think it had been rebuilt but this was my first and only 4r100. Other trucks are ZF6 manuals.

Anyway 10 years and 100,000 miles later it still shifts very crisp and fluid, has been changed a couple times, is nice and cherry red. I added a 6.0 cooler, temp gauge and filter. Never see the temp rise and haven't seen much in the filter.

About 25,000 miles ago the TC started to rattle, a known 99 problem. I figured surely the trans would go and I would do a rebuilt from Ford. It keeps going though so being a work truck I have kept running it.

A couple weeks ago the starter just spun and wouldn't engage. I pulled the inspection cover and noticed some missing teeth on flex plate. Got it to start my turning crank bolt a bit to good teeth and the starter caught. Now we are carrying a breaker bar and socket. It has happened a few more times so I need to replace flex plate.

Question is, since I need to pull trans to replace flexplate, should I replace TC (I would like to get rid of the noise)? Some people have said I will be replacing trans in a couple months if I mess with it. They say just spend $3000 on a rebuilt now with a converter. Not trying to be cheap but hate to just dump this trans that is still working great and has served me well.

If I am going to replace the TC, what should I go with? Stock Ford one that is in there has served me well. Replacement from Ford that was specified for this issue is $500. I can get other rebuilt ones from NAPA, Monster trans etc for $400. There are also TCs out there for $1000 or more.

I have replaced many tranmissions and done clutches in many trucks so I am familiar with the steps of removal and installation, just stuck on what I should do.

Thanks.

Old 09-29-2016, 08:55 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Your post needs its own thread so I cut it from the thread you posted in.

Stewart

Old 09-29-2016, 09:29 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
If the 99 TC is a known problem , what exactly is the cause of the rattle ?

Depending on where you live maybe just have the TC fixed and then run it until the transmission goes.

Old 09-30-2016, 02:07 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
The rattle in the '99 torque converters is from a problem with a spline inside the converter. The rattle could also be from a cracked flex plate.

If the trans is fine and the flex plate isn't cracked I don't see a reason to not just replace the torque converter. If you have excess money laying around you could rebuild the trans while it's out. I don't think it is necessary if it works well.

Old 09-30-2016, 04:46 AM
flipper612
New User
Thanks Mark

Flexplate being replaced anyway. I have heard they crack up around where they bolt to the crank. Couldn't see anything when I pulled inspection cover. Noise definitely seemed to be coming from the TC.

I want to replace with a "stock" type TC right? Should I go with the Ford or a reman unit? Anything to avoid?

Any trick to installing the TC on the 4r100. I have always filled them with some fluid before installing and made sure they seated, but as I said never done a 4r100.

Thanks

Old 09-30-2016, 07:20 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,108 Likes on 2,168 Posts
i think when you remove the trans you will find the flexplate is cracked causing the noise.
all the ones i did stopped making the rattle after flexplate replacement.

Old 09-30-2016, 07:28 AM
flipper612
New User
Interesting. Maybe I should hold off in ordering a TC? Trying to avoid too much downtime as we like to use this truck daily. Also would hate to take it all apart and put it back together and still have noise.

Ford did have a service billeting on noisy TCs and lists a replacement TC for it.

Old 09-30-2016, 07:32 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
depending on the cost of a new converter, it may just be better to have one on hand when taking it apart and putting the new one in.

i have been known to do that on my own vehicles many times, but it is kind of hard to do it with a customers because they never want to "waste money on a not needed part"

Old 09-30-2016, 07:51 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by flipper612
Flexplate being replaced anyway. I have heard they crack up around where they bolt to the crank. Couldn't see anything when I pulled inspection cover.
You can't see the crack while it's bolted to the torque converter. Most of the time you can't see the crack until you remove the flex plate.

I want to replace with a "stock" type TC right? Should I go with the Ford or a reman unit? Anything to avoid?
Yes, I'd use a stock converter. The Ford one is probably the most expensive converter you can get. You can get a reman that is the same converter for a fraction of the cost.

Any trick to installing the TC on the 4r100. I have always filled them with some fluid before installing and made sure they seated, but as I said never done a 4r100.
I've never put fluid in a converter before installing it. Ford doesn't put fluid in before installing them on the assembly line, either.

Put the trans on end with the bellhousing pointing up. Put the converter on the shaft and rotate it. It will go down several steps. Keep rotating until it is completely below the front face of the bellhousing.

Old 09-30-2016, 12:16 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
3 steps or drops, rite Mark?

Old 09-30-2016, 12:23 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Yes, three drops.

Old 09-30-2016, 01:04 PM
flipper612
New User
Thanks for advice so far. Napa and Advanced Auto both list the same manufacturer reman converter. AA has it for $30 cheaper. No one around me has it in stock so I am going to have them bring it in. Same with flex plate $100 + what 4 gallons gallons ATF? Do the flex plate bolts have to be replaced? Any seals at the converter? I have no leaks around motor / trans right now.

Old 09-30-2016, 02:14 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
no seals, and the bolts can be reused. i really can't tell you how much ATF, because i buy it by the case and just add till full.

Old 09-30-2016, 03:00 PM
flipper612
New User
Thanks

I think I read the total cap it is 18 quarts. Won't get to it this weekend but on my schedule for next so I will assemble the parts and report back.

Old 09-30-2016, 08:47 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,188 Likes on 816 Posts
Check Torco TC. I've bought a couple of TC for some of the fleet and have worked great.

Quick Reply: Trans TC rattle