1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Theft Deterrence for Dents

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 08:11 AM
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I think a dual fuel tank selector valve would be good. Just install the switch somewhere hidden under the dash. Set it up to draw air when you flip the switch and park the truck. Then when somebody manages to start your truck it'll only get a couple hundred feet until it stalls in the middle of the road. I imagine most thieves would run away then.

Old 09-27-2016, 08:39 AM
Mustangking1
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a locking hood release, I will pull the coil wire. Makes it to where it won't start. Just started doing it lately since theres some thieves around that are only stealing trucks.

Old 09-27-2016, 08:44 AM
Dave145
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Most timest truck can be found in my driveway with the doors unlocked and they keys in the ignition. Unless I'm in a bad area out of town then I lock the doors and take keys with me.

However....

They tried to get into the truck with pry bar and failed, so they resorted to attempting to steal my battery (also failed) and steal my fog lights (yet again failed). Can't prevent stupid, but when the average "thug" can't even take off a frickin fog light I normally don't worry about my truck getting jacked if I leave her alone on the street all locked up.

If I was going to install an ignition cut out, I'd probably just hide a switch under the dash or rig some other switch in the dash to be my cut out.

Old 09-27-2016, 12:49 PM
lasermike
Laughing Gas
Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts
Not a dent but a buddy of mine had to replace the ignition switch in his Austin Healey 3000. Austin used a push button start and the switch he used had a spring return start. He kept the button and wired the horn to the start position on the switch.

Only the more clever thieves could steal that car even with the key in hand.

Old 09-27-2016, 01:56 PM
Damifiknow
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Let em steal it Its insured for lots more than its worth.

Old 09-27-2016, 02:21 PM
Sehome
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Damifiknow
Let em steal it Its insured for lots more than its worth.
Oh gosh, how did you manage insurance for an old rig?
My '74 250 4x4 has become my pet, if it were stolen it would be
like losing your favorite dog!

Old 09-27-2016, 04:59 PM
co425
Cargo Master
Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts
From when she had a gasoline engine. If you don't smoke cigarettes....

Old 09-27-2016, 09:02 PM
bradphx
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stick a Chevy badge on it.

Old 09-27-2016, 09:03 PM
HoustonDave
Fleet Mechanic
Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts
1) Loud dog
2) Loud gun (careful with the caliber/gauge to avoid damage to paint)
3) Kill switches - wire the solenoid activation wire through a switch. I have seen people use the floorboard high beam switch, install hidden switches, install brand-correct switches in plain sight (I saved a Jetta once by wiring through a VW fog light switch visible on the dash - what thief wants to turn on bright lights?) brake light switches installed so you have to hit the clutch or brakes, brake light switches installed so you have to open or close the ashtray, and push buttons installed in plain sight so you have to push the button AND turn the key. Oh, and here's always wiring through a bank of 4-5 obvious switches which have to be thrown in the correct pattern.
4) I am reliably informed that thieves routinely carry coil wires so if you pull yours, they just replace it. One cure for that is to make a dummy coil wire- next time you replace your wires, carefully slit the coil wire lengthwise, remove a section of core, then super-glue the wire back together. You now have a normal looking wire that is electrically inert.

Old 09-27-2016, 09:33 PM
NMFirstF2504X4
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1) Club on the wheel
2) Kill switch
3) Hood latch padlocked
4) Shift lever locked in 1st
5) and maybe a few others based on this thread!

Name:  410f865c-9539-42e0-ac7e-0c1d61137ef3_zps5xltcvpj.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  103.6 KB

Old 09-27-2016, 10:50 PM
FORD~
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have hear of guys using electronic fuel shutoff valves, like boats have. You could probably go nuts and rig this up to a FOB.

Old 09-27-2016, 11:37 PM
PapaBearYuma
Cargo Master

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
I've got the beds enclosed by either a shell or tonneau to conceal anything that might be visible. I also have the windows tinted now. I always keep them locked, and all trucks have their own Club

My brother-in-law in Mexico taught me to install the club upside down, so you can't use a slide-hammer on the lock

All the trucks now have electric fuel pumps wired to an auxiliary fuse block under the dash. Easy enough to pull the fuse...

Nothing impossible to overcome, but any deterrent helps

Old 09-28-2016, 02:41 AM
78_f800crewcab4x4
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by hail destroyer
I leave the windows OPEN and the keys in the ignition in some pretty crappy neighborhoods. On purpose.

Most scum cant drive stick. Those that do are confused by the transfer case being in neutral......and scared ****less of a lifted truck on '33's with no exhaust.

Helps to have lot of dead animal blood and parts all over your truck, "IDGAF" dents, primer and truly offensive bumper stickers that state to the truly low class thieves: " A CRAZY VETERAN WITH MORE WEAPONS AND VIOLENCE THAN COMMON SENSE IS BEGGING YOU TO TRY TO STEAL THIS TRUCK

It works.
I would prefer not to hear about the results of your killing of defenseless animals, or your carelessness about the condition of your truck.

Old 09-28-2016, 03:33 AM
boingk
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 78_f800crewcab4x4
...your carelessness about the condition of your truck.
Go easy! See avatar.

I replace the up-down type door locks that have little notch or flat head on them with something that won't catch easily on a coathanger or piece of flat nylon packing tape.

A lockout for ignition or fuel is a good idea, I've got a fuel cutoff for my Valiant. It needed a switch to go between LPG and petrol anyway, only one step further.

A highly visible steering lock is a good idea but can easily be foiled if they are professional. I do like the transmission lockout idea, even the bolt to lock it in first or leaving the transfer in neutral.

Either way, makes for a truck that is at least a bit harder to steal, and unless it is something super rare then the time and trouble wont be worth it for them and at worst you will have a jimmied lock or broken window to deal with.

- boingk

Old 09-28-2016, 06:23 AM
46Whizzer
Tuned
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
On my auto trucks I just use a club on the wheel, and maybe pull some ignition component if the area seem that sketchy.
The truck with the 3 on the tree I don't worry about one bit, few people can drive a manual these days, much less figure why a truck with a column shifter would have a clutch.

Quick Reply: Theft Deterrence for Dents