Sponsored by:

Wipers have a mind of there own

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 04:32 PM
ExBeast
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wipers have a mind of there own

Not how I wanted to introduce my Excursion to the community but here it goes. Brought my Ex in April with the 7.3. I'll do a better intro later.

Immediate problem was the turn signal would not turn off with out intervention. So I bought a new Wiper switch assembly from Tasca. Put approx 4k miles on it since driving 2-3 hour long trips between then and now and occasionally driving it to work and back which is 12 or so miles out.

Last week on the way home my wipers just randomly turned on. It was not in any one set speed. Sometimes fast sometimes slow. I was able to adjust the speed and use the jets via the switch but once I turned it off it would resume this phantom behavior.

Did some research and found that the GEM and or the Wiper Switch assembly is the common faults for random wipers. Ebayed the GEM which came from a 02 F350.

With the replacement GEM, problem still persisted so I bought a new Wiper switch from Sunrise. I also verified after soaking the windshield that no water whatsoever gets passed the windshield seals

Replacement Wiper switch assembly looked good at the start however on the way home it does it again; about 3 miles in to my trip!

While its doing this, I tinkered with it and found that if I step it up to the highest setting and slowly step it down to off it will stop but I haven't done extended testing to see if it will kick off again during the same run.

Here is what I have done electrically.

As of April - Hydra with PHP tuning, Purple CPS, new batteries, new alternator (190AMP from Nations).

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Old 09-19-2016, 04:38 PM
CharlyG
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
It started after the turn signal work, correct? I always suspect the last change to be the culprit. Return the switch for another?

Old 09-19-2016, 04:41 PM
ExBeast
New User
Switch in April bought from Tasca was replaced with switch from Sunrise about two days ago.

original switch with busted turn signal is at the dump I suppose.

Old 09-19-2016, 04:46 PM
CharlyG
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
oh missed that part, sorry....

Old 09-19-2016, 05:03 PM
zapola6
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would check the wires inside the steering column cover...

I had an issue when I turned on the parking lights or headlights the starter would engage even when the truck was running…. I had taken the ignition switch out and steering column covers off to inspect the wires for the overdrive wire that wears through…

Evidently when I put it back together, wires were touching causing the issue with the headlights and the starter in the steering column. I never found the smoking gun, I moved wires around and made sure nothing was coming in contact…

That was almost 2 years ago, I have never had the problem repeat, not the same issue, but sounds close.

Old 09-19-2016, 05:04 PM
ExBeast
New User
No worries. Kinda wrote a book.

Old 09-19-2016, 05:06 PM
ExBeast
New User
Originally Posted by zapola6
I would check the wires inside the steering column cover...

I had an issue when I turned on the parking lights or headlights the starter would engage even when the truck was running…. I had taken the ignition switch out and steering column covers off to inspect the wires for the overdrive wire that wears through…

Evidently when I put it back together, wires were touching causing the issue with the headlights and the starter in the steering column. I never found the smoking gun, I moved wires around and made sure nothing was coming in contact…

That was almost 2 years ago, I have never had the problem repeat, not the same issue, but sounds close.

Thanks. When I was in there I did a quick look see and didn't see anything that stuck out. I will have to take another look.

Old 09-19-2016, 06:47 PM
ExBeast
New User
Nothing looks chaffed but I wiggled and jiggled and reseated the connections as much as I could so maybe Ill get lucky. Test drive tomorrow.

Old 09-19-2016, 08:34 PM
ExBeast
New User
After a bit more research; I dug up some older threads on the interweb that concludes the wiper motor as being the culprit.

Hate throwing parts at it but it is what it is unless I figure something else out. The motor is only 80 bucks and the Ex could probably benefit from one anyways seeing as the one now looks to be original at 14 years old. :/

Old 10-06-2016, 05:09 PM
ExBeast
New User
Installation of the new wiper motor (60 bucks on Rockauto) looks to may have solved my random wiper swipe issue.

I also installed new wiper cowls and painted my wiper arms flat black so things are looking good. While the cowls were off I inspected the wiring harness and everything looked a-ok visually.

Lastly, the wiper motor certainly looked its age. The clunking I would hear and feel with each swipe is gone as well.

Hopefully it will remain this way.

Old 10-06-2016, 07:17 PM
DOOM173
Tuned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
This is a common problem on the panthers (crown vics, Grand Marquis, Lincoln Town Car, and Marauders)! We call it WACKY WIPERS! Had the issue on 2 of my Vics!

Old 10-06-2016, 09:32 PM
HiZ
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Check on the motor for it! There was a recall on it for early model SD's and Ex applications.

Old 10-06-2016, 09:33 PM
DidieX
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I had almost the same issue at the ends of last winter. I broke off the end of the turn signal switch somehow and I had to turn it just right to get the wipers to come on. It worked fine for a month or so. Then it started going on and off by itself. If I pulled and replaced the fuse it would sometimes stop for a short while but would eventually start again. After replacing the switch I was still having issues. Changed the motor and all is well since. Easy job, I like how the wiper arms just pop off, on the Ford Transit Connect I drive now for work they bolt on and I can't get the broken one on the passengers side off to replace it.

Old 10-06-2016, 09:38 PM
DidieX
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Double post.