Sponsored by: Moser

Dumb question about TPMS

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 10:22 PM
Pgh Rebel
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Dumb question about TPMS

I know I'm behind times but this is the first vehicle I've had with TPMS. I was noticing today when I came out of work that my front tires looked a little low. I checked them real quick with my trust stick gauge, they're at 35 and 36 psi. But my dumb question is at what point do they get low enough to trigger the idiot light on the dash? I realize 3 pounds low isn't much but I'll readjust them all to 38 anyway, just because my vehicular OCD won't let me sleep until I do.
So I think it's just the rake of the truck that's putting all the weight on the front tires and making them look lower than what they really are.

Old 09-15-2016, 05:22 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,222 Likes on 804 Posts
It's my understanding and I could be wrong, the TPMS system on the Fords triggers when a tire pressure becomes 20% lower than what is programmed for the vehicle.

You may notice that when you have your tires rotated, the tech walks around the truck with a wand. He's basically retraining the sensors and ensuring that they all are sending a signal.

Old 09-15-2016, 07:03 AM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pgh Rebel
I know I'm behind times but this is the first vehicle I've had with TPMS. I was noticing today when I came out of work that my front tires looked a little low. I checked them real quick with my trust stick gauge, they're at 35 and 36 psi. But my dumb question is at what point do they get low enough to trigger the idiot light on the dash? I realize 3 pounds low isn't much but I'll readjust them all to 38 anyway, just because my vehicular OCD won't let me sleep until I do.
So I think it's just the rake of the truck that's putting all the weight on the front tires and making them look lower than what they really are.
I've never had my idiot light come on telling me I have a low tire/tires. But on my wife's 08 Escape, it takes 4-5 psi, and it seems to happen a couple of times a year.
But talk about Vehicular OCD.......I'm loaded with it.
All of the vents are open the same amount, and level, when my wife moves one (and she will) I have to set it like the others. The volume of the stereo is always at an even number, before I shut the engine off and get out, that steering wheel has to be straight/level.
I have more too

Unk Bob

Old 09-15-2016, 09:02 AM
Pgh Rebel
Fleet Mechanic
I gave up on the vents, mostly because I'm always moving them myself. But I do the same thing with the stereo and the steering wheel. I never get out without turning off the AC. If I'm parking the truck for what I know is going to be more than a day or two, I turn the stereo off before shutting the truck off. I've named every vehicle I've ever owned.... Shall I continue?
Thanks for the TPMS answer Bob!

Old 09-15-2016, 09:23 AM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
I gave up on the vents, mostly because I'm always moving them myself. But I do the same thing with the stereo and the steering wheel. I never get out without turning off the AC. If I'm parking the truck for what I know is going to be more than a day or two, I turn the stereo off before shutting the truck off. I've named every vehicle I've ever owned.... Shall I continue?
Thanks for the TPMS answer Bob!
I don't turn off the stereo, I do turn it down tho, I don't want that thing screaming at me when I get in the next time. I do turn the A/C off most of the time.
I also have to be seated in the center of the seat, mirror adjusted so the top of the tailgate is on the bottom of the mirror. I also name every vehicle that I've ever had. This 2013 is named "Grizzly" due to the Kodiak color.
For my GPS, the power chord has to be routed a certain way, same thing of I have my cell phone plugged in. And I can't have anything hanging from the rear view mirror that will dangle around. My wife has a blown glass bird looking thing in her Escape. If/when I drive it, I have to take it off of there. It just drives me insane, and I'm not that far away from it already.

Old 09-15-2016, 01:55 PM
Turbo Dog
Cargo Master
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Hmmm...I don't name my trucks or my livestock, just the pets.

Old 09-15-2016, 05:42 PM
Pgh Rebel
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by tseekins
It's my understanding and I could be wrong, the TPMS system on the Fords triggers when a tire pressure becomes 20% lower than what is programmed for the vehicle.

You may notice that when you have your tires rotated, the tech walks around the truck with a wand. He's basically retraining the sensors and ensuring that they all are sending a signal.

Thanks Tim. Be patient while I blindly fumble my way through the 21st century!

Old 09-15-2016, 05:52 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
Only OCD thing I have is the vents, I need all mine centered and open.

Old 09-16-2016, 12:15 AM
CuNmUdF250
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I always turn everything off logic being it's less strain on battery on startup ....I read that years ago I'm sure it is probably minimal if it does anything at all.

Old 09-16-2016, 09:18 PM
Pgh Rebel
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by CuNmUdF250
I always turn everything off logic being it's less strain on battery on startup ....I read that years ago I'm sure it is probably minimal if it does anything at all.

I've heard that too. That's why I will turn everything off if I know the truck will be parked for several days to a week or longer. That way those accessories don't take any juice away from my battery while the truck is sitting. If it's going to be really cold overnight during the winter, I'll turn everything off to reduce the strain on the battery. My 2006 truck never failed to start right up, even at -20!
When it gets that cold though, I read about a slow start technique that allows the battery to warm up for a few seconds first before you crank the starter:
First turn on the headlights for a couple seconds.
Then turn the ignition to Accessories position for a few more seconds.
Then finally crank the starter. It starts up a lot easier, with less cranking. Your truck will be a lot happier with you, and your battery will live longer. Once it starts, I keep the stereo off while it warms up, and just crank the defroster to full blast. Then I get my frosty butt back inside the house while the truck warms up!
I'm sure Russ could share a few more tips about cold weather car care.

Old 09-17-2016, 06:38 AM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
When it gets that cold though, I read about a slow start technique that allows the battery to warm up for a few seconds first before you crank the starter:
First turn on the headlights for a couple seconds.
Then turn the ignition to Accessories position for a few more seconds.
Then finally crank the starter. It starts up a lot easier, with less cranking. Your truck will be a lot happier with you, and your battery will live longer. Once it starts, I keep the stereo off while it warms up, and just crank the defroster to full blast. Then I get my frosty butt back inside the house while the truck warms up!
I remember doing something like that back home in Missouri when it would get well below freezing.

Old 09-17-2016, 01:09 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

keep your fluids topped off ( I do run full synthetic oil in everything) and antifreeze in good shape, good battery. That's all I've ever done. Nothing special and I use my remote start if it's outside. I don't turn anything off when I park.

I park in a garage at night and the truck is a nice 70* when I get in it in the morning. But even if it's outside in super cold weather I've never used my block heater.

I don't get that cold where I'm at -30* actual temp is about rock bottom. Up north they can hit -60* (again actual temp) and you need a little more for those conditions.

Old 09-21-2016, 07:19 AM
Pgh Rebel
Fleet Mechanic
Yeah that reminds me, I've gotta get the coolant serviced in my wife's car before winter. Her battery is only about a year old so good there. Should have mine tested since I just bought the truck. I'm sure it's original so not a bad idea to test it.

Old 09-21-2016, 03:20 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Yeah that reminds me, I've gotta get the coolant serviced in my wife's car before winter. Her battery is only about a year old so good there. Should have mine tested since I just bought the truck. I'm sure it's original so not a bad idea to test it.
Not a bad idea at all, I changed the coolant in my Excursion last winter along with the T-stat. I'm 99% sure it was original coolant from 2002 haha Didn't look terrible though!

Old 09-22-2016, 05:24 PM
Pgh Rebel
Fleet Mechanic
My wife's car is a 2005 Mercury with just about 90k on it. Pretty sure it's still on the original coolant also. We just bought it 2 years ago with about 65k, and it was dealer-maintained its whole life so I doubt the Lincoln/Mercury dealer would have suggested that it be changed any sooner than that. I'll do that this fall, then in the spring it's getting a tune-up. I think the trans fluid may have been serviced once before, I'm not sure. I'll have to look at the car-fax again. Regardless I'll take a look at everything before we head off on vacation next week.
I don't have the work space to do any of the work myself until we buy a house with a garage. Renting right now. So we remain good friends with the shop manager at the local Meineke! He's a good guy though, he's fair and honest, and willing to cut anyone a break on the price if it means getting you back a second time. It's hard to find a mechanic that's that fair and honest anymore, so we keep going back. When we do move it will likely be out of the way to come down there for service, but I'll still make the trip. He's already given me a ride home since the service was going to take longer than he estimated. What other shop does that?