Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Over tightened the tie rod end?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 07:18 AM
LeoJr
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by eakermeld
Hey, the book says 1995 and up is different from 1994 and down.
'95 and up is when they changed rotor sizes and caliper style. I don't think this change affected the knuckle...at least not the TRE hole.

A thought is if this thing was part of a fleet, maybe the service shop bored the holes so a TRE more common to the rest of the vehicles could be used?

Old 09-16-2016, 02:44 PM
jas88
Lead Driver

Received 355 Likes on 285 Posts
But it isn't seated in the taper of the knuckle the way it is now. The taper of the ball joint stud is only seated on the washer.
Yes, I know that, but I never said put the washers on the bottom. I said put a washer underneath the nut on top of the knuckle just so the cotter key would engage.

Old 09-16-2016, 02:52 PM
GoinBoarding
Cargo Master
Received 161 Likes on 129 Posts
I thought your idea was fine Jas, so long as the taper isn't ovaled or otherwise trashed.

If part numbers check out, and the new TRE is the same as he pulled off (measure with a caliper), and if the taper in the knuckle is good, I think he needs to check for TRE body to knuckle clearance. Should be doable by removing the boot, installing TRE, lifting truck by frame, and turning lock to lock. NO washer on the large end of the taper, just on top of the knuckle to get the cotter engaged.

Old 09-16-2016, 07:54 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tuxedobuttonquail
What book says this?
I looked at Ford book(s), Moog, went to Rock Auto, Napa, and O'Reilly's websites and they all say 1994 and down is different than 1995 and up. Now I do not know WHAT the difference is, just that the part numbers are different. It's worth a try, right? What do you have to loose?

Old 09-16-2016, 08:02 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by GoinBoarding
......and the new TRE is the same as he pulled off......
The pic in post #13 shows his old one and it didn't fit properly either. I don't know how long he ran it like that, but it worked. Is it correct? No. He needs to figure out what is correct and put it on for his own safety as well as yours and mine. I hope we can help him out.
Since this was a fleet truck (gold mine) there really isn't any way of knowing what has been done to it in the past so it is kind of a shot in the dark, but hey, gotta try something.

Old 09-16-2016, 08:07 PM
tuxedobuttonquail
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just got back from orielly and the parts d00d said the part number is different for the '94 TRE. They didn't have it in stock so he said he ordered it in and it should be in tomorrow at 11. Ill go get it tomorrow after work if i can and then we'll see what comes of it!

Old 09-16-2016, 08:12 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
I hope it works. It may be perfect or it may be worse than you had. I wish I could remember the details of when this happened to me a few years ago but I can't. Of all the things I've lost, I miss my marbles the most!

Old 09-16-2016, 08:24 PM
GoinBoarding
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by eakermeld
The pic in post #13 shows his old one and it didn't fit properly either. I don't know how long he ran it like that, but it worked. Is it correct? No. He needs to figure out what is correct and put it on for his own safety as well as yours and mine. I hope we can help him out.
Since this was a fleet truck (gold mine) there really isn't any way of knowing what has been done to it in the past so it is kind of a shot in the dark, but hey, gotta try something.
Good catch. I did not notice that the old one was not engaging the cotter.

Old 09-17-2016, 09:50 PM
tuxedobuttonquail
Junior User
The parts guy must have ordered the driver side TRE for a '94 f250 hd and not the passenger right outer like i asked but not a big deal i guess. So i put the new new TRE on her (just got the taper seated snug and this is what it looks like on both sides. (Just for the hell of it i put it in the passenger side knuckle) also, i did not add grease to it to make the boot expand but i think the picture will let you guys know if it is going to work or not. Also bought a digital caliper to see if right knuckle hole was larger than the left knuckle hole.

On left side of truck

Old 09-17-2016, 10:20 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
Well, that's a little better but not what I expected. A washer under the nut will get it to the point the cotter pin should be in the notches. If the threads fit, I would say you may be in business.

Old 09-17-2016, 10:38 PM
tuxedobuttonquail
Junior User
Thats awesome man! I will get the right outer TRE hopefully tomorrow and see what it looks like...and then if it threads into the adjusting sleeve...fingers crossed.

Old 09-18-2016, 12:28 AM
GoinBoarding
Cargo Master
That looks a lot like my ttb d44. The hole for the cotter isn't as far above the castle nut, but not that different either. That looks like an improvement.

Old 09-18-2016, 11:42 AM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That does seem a little better

Old 09-18-2016, 05:27 PM
tuxedobuttonquail
Junior User
Well I guess the parts guy did give me the right part after looking at rockauto. the part number is es2727r. This TRE looked like the same size as the old left outer so I just assumed it was the left outer. Im going to take the inner left and inner right and adjusting sleeves apart and outer left and outer right back to the store and get all new parts for a '94. I hope they fit onto the pitman arm well.

Old 09-18-2016, 06:28 PM
animator
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you taken your calipers and actually measured the knuckles to see if there is a taper, and if so, how much of a taper is there? Measuring the hole dia is a good start, but also measure the top dia and the bottom dia at the outermost edge and that will be very helpful.

Quick Reply: Over tightened the tie rod end?