1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

No start issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 11:45 PM
tonyprcalif
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No start issues

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum. I've read a lot on here in the last couple of days to try and help sort my issue but I think its time I ask for help. Up until the other day my truck (96 f-250 2wd 7.3 auto 219000 miles) had been running fine. I did an oil change on Friday 9/3/16 then drove over to Hanford Ca from Paso Robles Ca Saturday morning 9/4/16. Got over there parked did what i had to do in the store, about 30 minutes came back out and the truck would turn over but wouldn't fire off. Thought it might be the CPS but couldn't get the stupid bolt out to throw in my spare. After fighting with it for well over an hour i threw in the towel and just tried to start it. This time it fired off, it cranked longer then normal but started so off to Visalia Ca I went. When I got to where i was going I shut it down and tried starting it again but it wouldn't fire. Got the bolt out switched out the CPS and it started up but it did it to me again on the trip home. So i let it sit for over an hour or 2 then it struggled to start but fired off and i got it the rest of the way home. I'm able to work on my own stuff but I don't know where to go with this issue. Only real issue I've had with this truck in 10 years of owning it has been the fuel pump at the back of the engine. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-05-2016, 11:56 PM
farmert
Logistics Pro
Received 518 Likes on 252 Posts
Was the CPS a Motorcraft or International part, or one from a parts house? The parts house ones are known to not play nice on our trucks.

Old 09-06-2016, 12:03 AM
tonyprcalif
New User
The one thats in there now is a bottom of the barrel brand from Oreilly cause its all the had. I was going to get a motorcraft one this week and see if it helps out.

Old 09-06-2016, 08:53 AM
PSU4ME
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Would a bad CPS still allow the truck to crank? I didn't think it would. Regardless, it doesn't seem like its the issue if the new on is doing the same thing. you see any issues with the wiring on the uvch?

Old 09-06-2016, 09:11 AM
farmert
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by PSU4ME
Would a bad CPS still allow the truck to crank? I didn't think it would. Regardless, it doesn't seem like its the issue if the new on is doing the same thing. you see any issues with the wiring on the uvch?
By "allow the truck to crank", do you mean turn the motor over, or mean start? The CPS has nothing to do with the starting system, but a bad CPS will not let the engine run, as it is not telling the ECM when to fire the injectors. A bad CPS can do some funky things.

Old 09-06-2016, 09:17 AM
tonyprcalif
New User
I had the factory cps take a dump and it would still crank. As far as the other thing you mentioned I don't know what that is. Even though I've had this truck for 10 years I've never really had any issues so I'm still learning. If it was a small block chevy I'd be able to fix it in my sleep.

Old 09-06-2016, 09:20 AM
knottyrope
Lead Driver
Received 874 Likes on 665 Posts
Originally Posted by farmert
By "allow the truck to crank", do you mean turn the motor over, or mean start? The CPS has nothing to do with cranking the starter, but a bad CPS will not let the engine run, as it is not telling the ECM when to fire the injectors. A bad CPS can do some funky things.
Changed one line

Old 09-06-2016, 09:58 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byb...1qRU1VVGc/view

Read this as well as the tech folder stickies at the top in the gigantic red bold letters. Report back once you have some idea of what the issue may be.

Old 09-06-2016, 11:30 AM
PSU4ME
More Turbo
Originally Posted by knottyrope
Changed one line
Thank you!

page through the stickie if you'd like. UVCH is the under valve cover harness and likely mentioned in the sticky.

Old 09-06-2016, 07:05 PM
krifenbu
Tuned
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Did you use a different brand, or weight of oil or different brand of filter than the previous times?

Oil level correct?

Kevin

Old 09-06-2016, 07:14 PM
tonyprcalif
New User
Same oil, same brand filter and oil level is dead on.

Old 09-06-2016, 07:53 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,188 Likes on 816 Posts
Looks to be you are having a hard hot start, things to test when it does this is to throw some cold water at the IPR solenoid to cool it of, if it starts you found your problem, just change the IPR sensor. HPO leaks can also be a good indication of hard hot starts such as, injector O rings or IPR O rings, you can get this I rings from riffraffdiesel.com but before shelling any money out invest in a good scan tool compatible with your truck.

Old 09-06-2016, 08:33 PM
farmert
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by knottyrope
Changed one line
Yep, I should have worded that better.

Old 09-06-2016, 09:40 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Sounds like you could have some bad IPR o-rings maybe.

Old 09-06-2016, 09:48 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Originally Posted by z31freakify
Looks to be you are having a hard hot start, things to test when it does this is to throw some cold water at the IPR solenoid to cool it of, if it starts you found your problem, just change the IPR sensor. HPO leaks can also be a good indication of hard hot starts such as, injector O rings or IPR O rings, you can get this I rings from riffraffdiesel.com but before shelling any money out invest in a good scan tool compatible with your truck.
Adam, I agree with everything except putting water on the IPR coil. I wouldn't put water directly on any electrical part, especially the IPR coil. Reason I say this is because the rubber packing in the IPR plug will soften up and get gummy from fuel or oil getting on it. Sometimes it comes out and exposes bare sections of the two wires where they are connected to the pins in the plug. If you put water on it, and it gets down in the plug, it could actually short the two wires together and cause a whole new issue.

Quick Reply: No start issues