1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I really need a heavy duty truck or even a diesel?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 09:31 AM
'65Ford
Cargo Master
Received 253 Likes on 183 Posts
I expect (and hope) a diesel could make it 400K and gas might make it that far. I think the bigger hurdle is the 20 year mark. My "new" truck is from 2002 so maybe the guys with new trucks can comment. As you look under the hood at the Ford gadgetry on a 2017 truck, I wonder if some of those highly sophisticated electronic components will be supported by Ford or anyone 20 years from now. Should the OP be setting a shorter time goal? Maybe 15 years? Remember to be legal you have to meet emissions standards of the time a truck was built so you can't legally hillbilly rig a truck to make it run. In other words, all of those fancy parts will be needed.

Old 09-07-2016, 09:57 AM
WyoBull
Laughing Gas
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
I recently came out of a half ton Toyota Tundra to a an F250 Super Duty with the 6.2 gas engine. I won't even attempt to debate the need between a diesel and gas as that horse has been beat many times.
I will say that for me, I wanted to ability to have a larger trailer/5th wheel/truck camper in the future should I want it. I did not want to be limited to what trailer I purchased by the truck I owned. That being said, I know I did limit myself due to the fact that I went with the 6.2 gas and not the 6.7 diesel, however, I will never need a trailer that big that I would have to have a diesel to pull it.
As a daily driver, it has as tight a turning radius as my Tundra had and you just have to get used to driving a larger truck which to me is not a big deal since I don't live in a big city and have to navigate the big city traffic.
I also like the feel of driving a heavy duty truck versus my half ton.
That's about it for the decision making process I used when making the decision to go with a Super Duty.

Old 09-07-2016, 10:12 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom
What do you think you'll wear out prematurely on your F150? There are lots of folks who use their half-ton trucks for work every day, and they seem to hold up just fine.

Remember that your operating costs are going to go up substantially in a Super Duty. I use a '16 6.2L F350 at work for a couple of months, and I averaged 13 MPG under the same conditions that my current F150 gets around 19. Over 100,000 miles that's over 2,500 more gallons of gas that you'll be burning. Gas is cheap now, but just two years ago that would be $10,000 more you'll be paying in fuel.

Sounds like you're looking for an excuse to upgrade, and folks in the Super Duty forum are generally happy to provide that for you. I've had Super Duties in the past, and in hindsight they cost me a lot more money than an F150 that would have served the same purpose. If you don't need a Super Duty, they're quite a cumbersome and expensive thing to live with as a daily driver.
Like me! I use a little half ton all day every day

Old 09-07-2016, 11:33 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
Like me! I use a little half ton all day every day
You were the example I was thinking of. I think you're the second fleet owner of that thing, right?

Old 09-07-2016, 06:26 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom
You were the example I was thinking of. I think you're the second fleet owner of that thing, right?
Yup. It has been a wonderful truck.

Old 09-07-2016, 06:29 PM
Unclemark
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Everybody needs at least one hd truck in their lifetime.... If you like it then get one but I'll say this if you don't need the diesel motor then stick with the 6.2 it's a great platform.

Old 09-07-2016, 06:47 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Get the best of the 1/2 and 3/4 ton worlds...... a Nissan Titan with the Cummins

Notice I didn't say the Ram EcoDribble Patiently waiting for Ford to play in this particular sand box....

Old 09-07-2016, 07:05 PM
jtruck618
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do way less work with my truck and tow very seldom. I came from a 5.4 F150 to a gasser Superduty and regret it a year in. I want to trade but resale sucks so I'm gonna wait about another year and get a 17' with the new Ecoboost.

Mileage is terrible, ride is rough and cab is smaller; not as much room n the rear to put stuff when seats folded up. It looks great of course and I thought this would make me over look the downsides of upgrading.

My 6.2 works hard to do things my 5.4 did with ease. Climbing hills at 70-75, hauling trailers,towing my side by side. It's a strong engine but makes it's torque real high in the powerband. It downshifts more and the solid front axle is not as comfortable to drive.

I knew most of this going in but bought it anyway. It's a nice truck and I am picky but should of stayed with a 1/2 ton. It's my fault, not the truck. If I do a 3/4 again it will be a diesel.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:57 AM
Spamfritter
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by texastech_diesel
Get the best of the 1/2 and 3/4 ton worlds...... a Nissan Titan with the Cummins

Notice I didn't say the Ram EcoDribble Patiently waiting for Ford to play in this particular sand box....
Yuk. That TitanXD is hideous. Not only that but many people that have driven them report that the diesel in it is a bit of a dog. The consensus often seems to be that the TitanXD has the weaknesses of both a 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton and none of the strengths offered by either.

Side comment on the Ram EcoDiesel, I think its awful to drive. I looked at one for the fuel economy when I bought my 2015 F-150. After driving it I knew I'd never be able to stand it. The thing is just horrible to drive.

Originally Posted by jtruck618
I do way less work with my truck and tow very seldom. I came from a 5.4 F150 to a gasser Superduty and regret it a year in. I want to trade but resale sucks so I'm gonna wait about another year and get a 17' with the new Ecoboost.

Mileage is terrible, ride is rough and cab is smaller; not as much room n the rear to put stuff when seats folded up. It looks great of course and I thought this would make me over look the downsides of upgrading.

My 6.2 works hard to do things my 5.4 did with ease. Climbing hills at 70-75, hauling trailers,towing my side by side. It's a strong engine but makes it's torque real high in the powerband. It downshifts more and the solid front axle is not as comfortable to drive.

I knew most of this going in but bought it anyway. It's a nice truck and I am picky but should of stayed with a 1/2 ton. It's my fault, not the truck. If I do a 3/4 again it will be a diesel.
I'm not a big fan of the 6.2L engine. I generally think I'm the only one who isn't. In an F-150, I'm all over it. In a crew cab or crew cab long bed SD, not so much. It does get the job done but as you noted you have to rev the **** out of it to access its potential. The 6.7L diesel's low end grunt and flat torque curve make it a lot nicer to drive. As for the cab of the F-250, it's actually got more room than the previous F-150's did. Compared to the current F-150, I feel its roomier up front, head room not withstanding. The center console is thinner as are the door panels. I've got more leg room as a result. In the back seat, you lack about 4" of room but I feel the storage amenities make up for it.

As for the mileage, I knew it wouldn't be good. That said, I'm not doing too much worse than I did in my half ton and in some cases I'm getting better mileage out of my diesel. I'll agree on the ride quality. That said, the 2011+ Super Duties ride really well for 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. The steering is a bit heavy when you are used to half tons, but otherwise the driving experience is excellent.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:56 AM
WyoBull
Laughing Gas
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
"It does get the job done but as you noted you have to rev the **** out of it to access its potential. The 6.7L diesel's low end grunt and flat torque curve make it a lot nicer to drive."

And that right there Spamfritter is the big difference between gas and diesel engines. Some like it and some don't. I would be willing to bet you like that higher rev in your mustang though, correct? I had a 7.3 back in 2000 and did like the low end torque at lower rpm's. With my new 6.2 it is a completely different truck and driving experience but I really like it. I love those diesels, just can't justify one for my needs.

Old 09-08-2016, 10:02 AM
ssunit1
Laughing Gas
Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Dspoon19
Wanted to get some opinions here on if I would even need a super duty and if so would a diesel or gas motor suit me better.

Currently I drive a 2010 f150 sc 4x4 with 5.4L.

I drive right around 20K miles a year.
30% on route 80, 60% 55-60 mph back roads, 10% "city" driving.
Daily commute is 66 miles round trip. 44 miles on back roads, 22 miles on Ohio turnpike.
I tow jet skis a few times a year, I haul a 20' single axle camper a few times a year, I haul a 2 axle car hauler once or twice a year moving a 8n sized tractor, I haul 30 heaping bed loads of fire wood each year (22 miles per load), I usually haul a single bed full of coal, and I usually haul at least a bed load of shingles or bricks or stone for family or friends.
I hunt and fish and play hockey so there's always gear of some sort in the cab. I have a GSP that rides everywhere with me, married with 2 kids.

Would do y'all think ideal new truck for me would be?

If you're not going to go heaver in towing or hauling than you already do then the F150 eco boost is good enough.
If you have plans on going a little heavier than current, go SD. Gas and Diesel haul about the same
- but just consider -
Gasser has to work harder and less mpg empty or loaded
Diesel doesn't have to run as hard to do both, better MPG on both, but more $.
Got my f250 before my previous TT and now I have the 5er below. Didn't have any plans initially for either but when we decided to take the leap having the tow vehicle wasn't an issue. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
Also, in Ohio, on the hills, in the snow, hauling firewood and coal, 4WD for sure.

Old 09-08-2016, 10:49 AM
Ron94150
Postmaster
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by texastech_diesel

That may be a great drivetrain, but the problem is, you would have to look at the thing everyday. Nissan ruined a decent looking truck with the design change.

I love my 6.2 gasser. I have no real need for a SD, but was glad I had it when pulling my travel trailer 1600 miles on vacation across the mountain. It handled 8500 lbs no problem, got 9.5 mpg doing it, and the truck drove great through the curves and at highway speeds. But my daily trip is just under 20 miles round trip. If I had a 66 mile daily trip, I would have bought the f150 I was originally looking at. I would even be looking at the 2.7 ecoboost with a heavy payload package real hard if I was you. Those are outstanding little motors, and punch way above there weight class. More power and torque than your current 5.4, with an updated chassis, getting a lot more mpg's. If the extra money on gas is not a big deal to you, then SD it is, but if I had to drive the distance you say, it would be the 150.

Old 09-08-2016, 12:16 PM
Spamfritter
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WyoBull
"It does get the job done but as you noted you have to rev the **** out of it to access its potential. The 6.7L diesel's low end grunt and flat torque curve make it a lot nicer to drive."

And that right there Spamfritter is the big difference between gas and diesel engines. Some like it and some don't. I would be willing to bet you like that higher rev in your mustang though, correct? I had a 7.3 back in 2000 and did like the low end torque at lower rpm's. With my new 6.2 it is a completely different truck and driving experience but I really like it. I love those diesels, just can't justify one for my needs.
Actually, for basic daily driving you don't have to rev the Mustang's engine very high to get the thing moving pretty good. My Civic Si on the other hand was similar to the 6.2 in that you had to really get the revs up to make the car feel powerful.

Old 09-10-2016, 11:28 PM
Hoss416
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just as an anecdote, I was in Honolulu this past week. 87 Octane was $2.65 a gallon, diesel was $4.29! I did see quite a few fleet SD's but the were all gas, I think the only diesels on the island are busses and service vehicles. I just took this thread even further off course, my bad...