Sponsored by: Moser

Blinking Fog Light

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 04:37 PM
bigdaddyII
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blinking Fog Light

This is a first for me. I noticed my drivers fog light was out last week, okay no big deal, replaced both and saved the good passenger side one for a spare.

This morning while driving to work (0330), I noticed my drivers side fog light blinking. Its not a steady blink, more of a bad connection or ground situation. Drive for a while....all is well...hit a bump and it goes off for a few seconds and comes back on.

I haven't had a chance to look at it and probably wont until I get off of work next week. I've confirmed that the passenger side doesn't do this. I'm not going to use them until I get it figured out. My question is if there is any known "go to" or trouble spots for them doing this? Google has not been helpful. Truck is a 14 Supercrew without LED or HIDs.

Old 08-25-2016, 05:11 PM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'd have to look at connections first
There's a lot of vibration there that could easily make for a bad connection on either power or ground.

Unk Bob

Old 08-26-2016, 07:06 AM
bigdaddyII
Postmaster
I played with it a little this morning while getting gas. I simply turned the wheels where I could reach in and touch the wires. I felt it up a few inches to where it made a sharp kink and when I touched that kink it came on. I undid the kink and straightened out that section as much as possible. Its on now and has been on for the 70 mile trek to work. I may just leave it like that for now until it starts blinking again rather then start cutting wires already. There was a kink is the passenger side one too so I undid that one. At least when it starts randomly going off and on I know where to look.

Old 08-26-2016, 07:08 AM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by bigdaddyII
I played with it a little this morning while getting gas. I simply turned the wheels where I could reach in and touch the wires. I felt it up a few inches to where it made a sharp kink and when I touched that kink it came on. I undid the kink and straightened out that section as much as possible. Its on now and has been on for the 70 mile trek to work. I may just leave it like that for now until it starts blinking again rather then start cutting wires already. There was a kink is the passenger side one too so I undid that one. At least when it starts randomly going off and on I know where to look.
There you go
I'd try that too, before I start cutting wires.

Old 08-26-2016, 08:45 AM
steven2848
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by bigdaddyII
If it was me, think I'd go to closest auto parts store and buy a length of somewhat flexible plastic (not rubber) tubing that you can split down the side shove over the wiring, then use electrical tape to seal it up so dirt/water won't collect in it.

Old 08-27-2016, 04:06 PM
bigdaddyII
Postmaster
Held for a bit but still blinking. I know the spot so I guess Ill bust out the soldering iron and heat shrink when I get off next week. Should be able to just cut out the bad section and resplice without having to add in any.

Old 08-27-2016, 04:41 PM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
There are some really nice working, heat shrinking connectors out there now. With some looking around there's a few that even have a band of solder in them.