1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Smoking Exhaust on One Side

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 09:38 PM
hharris8
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I get a regulator then or if it is not flooding would it be useless?

Old 08-31-2016, 09:46 PM
Ultimate Automotive Leak Detector's Avatar
Ultimate Automotive Leak Detector
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smoking

hharris8 did the smoke increase when you removed the PCV and plugged it at the hole where the PCV goes in the valve cover. Or another thing you can do is remove and plug the PCV and the breather cap or oil fill on the valve cover because that is were I wanted to know if the smoke increased when you plugged the PCV not in the exhaust pipe. That’s if you have a oil fill on the valve cover.

Old 09-02-2016, 11:53 AM
hharris8
Elder User
When I plugged the PCV the smoke increased where the breather should have been. The exhaust did not seem to be different. I have not tried anything else. I have had class overload with essays. Also, I was driving it to work yesterday and while driving 70 on the interstate the treads blew off the tires and made a couple of bald "inner tube" places. Needless to say it is extremely bumpy and even the tires that did not rip are bumpy (maybe they bulged in places or something?) so I am getting tires put on currently and will get the truck back tomorrow afternoon.

Old 09-02-2016, 03:29 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,107 Likes on 1,795 Posts
Plugging the PCV and getting more smoke out the other side is normal. If it is not being pulled back into the carb where would it go?

Good tires is a good thing.
Dave ----

Old 09-02-2016, 06:30 PM
Former Vendor
My missing post

To the moderator that may have removed my post and the description of my tool and the pitchers that were with the description of the tool. Would you please tell me as to why they were removed and may I get them back with the location as to were they belong. I wanted to lower the price this week end and with it being a three day holiday I may get some sales or at least a guy can hope. But all my post were removed without any notice to me as to why or were the were moved to could the person or persons responsible please respond by returning my post along with my description and the pics.

Old 09-02-2016, 09:04 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Ultimate Automotive Leak Detector
To the moderator that may have removed my post and the description of my tool and the pitchers that were with the description of the tool. Would you please tell me as to why they were removed and may I get them back with the location as to were they belong. I wanted to lower the price this week end and with it being a three day holiday I may get some sales or at least a guy can hope. But all my post were removed without any notice to me as to why or were the were moved to could the person or persons responsible please respond by returning my post along with my description and the pics.
Not sure what you're talking about, I haven't deleted anything.

And I see you have several posts in another of hharris8's threads, and some with pictures on Pages 3 & 10:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...aking-oil.html

And I see you have 30-some-odd posts in total scattered on FTE, maybe you can find what you're looking for here:

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - Search Results

Old 09-02-2016, 11:14 PM
Former Vendor
Tires

hharris8 were those tires pretty old. Since you don't here of that happening very often. Semis with retreaded tires but not personal vehicles.

Old 09-03-2016, 12:00 AM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It is my understanding his Bronco has been setting ~10 years.

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

Old 09-03-2016, 05:45 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,107 Likes on 1,795 Posts
Originally Posted by Ultimate Automotive Leak Detector
hharris8 were those tires pretty old. Since you don't here of that happening very often. Semis with retreaded tires but not personal vehicles.
Since I moved down here to NC from CT I have had 3 tires blow up and I mean BLOW UP!

They were old and when they let go they were in a garage (all but 1), 2 on a car in the garage and a spare for my car trailer sitting on the trailer tire rack.
It was the tread that let go not a side wall, never seen that happen before just sitting.
Dave ----

Old 09-03-2016, 11:54 AM
hharris8
Elder User
My tires were old and had a little bit of a flat spot. The tread just flew off. The other tires got bulges in them so the rids to the tire shop was quite bumpy even at 30 MPH max.

Old 09-03-2016, 06:50 PM
kr98664
Lead Driver
Received 692 Likes on 555 Posts
Originally Posted by Franklin2
This smoke from the breather cap is probably what is burning your eyes. It's blow-by from the engine. If your PCV valve/system is working then it means your engine has a lot of wear.
I'm kinda late to this thread, but didn't see this covered:

Does your breather cap have a hose connecting it to the air cleaner? Or is it a stand-alone cap vented to the atmosphere?

My '84 351W has the hose. The engine is old and tired, yet still keeps plugging away. In theory, fresh air is supposed to be drawn one way through that hose from the air cleaner, and then into the rest of the PCV system. However, because my engine has plenty of blowby, under certain conditions oil fumes blow backwards through that hose into the air cleaner housing. Those oily fumes are then drawn through the air filter and into the carb and burned.

Is that supposed to be like that? Not really, but I think it's fairly common with high mileage engines. Will I do anything about it? Not really, because otherwise it runs fine and I'm too cheap to rebuild the engine to overcome such a minor issue. Occasionally I have to wipe up a little bit of oil that has collected in the air cleaner housing, but that's about it.

If you have just a vented breather cap, it's very likely you're also getting blowby that is escaping to the atmosphere. Unfortunately, the heater/vent intake is at the windshield base, just aft of that big noisy blowby dispenser under the hood. You could try wrapping a white rag around the cap and going for a test drive. Inspect the rag. If oily, then you know the source.

One "fix" for that scenario is to obtain a breather cap with a hose, and connect it to the air cleaner housing. Then your truck will be like mine. Perfect? No. Adequate? Yep.

Also make sure the cowl-to-hood seal is in good condition. This seal helps keep underhood fumes away from the heater/vent intake.

Old 09-03-2016, 08:56 PM
hharris8
Elder User
It is the atmosphere breather that you are speaking of. I will try the rag trick.

Old 09-04-2016, 01:19 AM
Former Vendor

Ok I have raised the price to what it should sell for since I have put approximately $175.00 into it so far with everything to get it to sale point. I am almost giving it away at the current price of $225.00 per unit. The tool has a 6’ output hose and a 6’ electrical power wires along with an in line fuse for tool protection. I have installed an in line regulator to reduce the output air from the tool to 3/8,s psi as to not hurt anything in any automobile. I put an 8” carbine clip on it so it can hang from the hood spring while you are smoking the car or truck that your working on. There isn’t a leak this tool can’t find large and medium leaks you will see the smoke coming out of the leak location. And for tiny or pin holes such as in a vacuum line you can add automotive dye to 16 ounces of mineral oil and when run through the radiator the power steering the vacuum lines the rear end and axle seals. The transmission lines pan and cooler at the radiator. The braking system and lines. The air conditioning. And anything I may have missed and with the dye all you have to do is use an ultraviolet light to locate most of those tiny leaks because there so tiny you cant even see smoke coming out of the leak location but with the dye at the leak location you just shine the ultra violet light on the leak location and it will show were the dye has seeped out of the leak. So if interested in this tool you can private message me or email me at 1johnnylovsey@gmail.com and we will take care of the transaction with Pay Pal they will take the money and send me a shipping label so I can ship it to the buyer. One last thing I have put a 90 day unlimited warranty on the tool I am so sure of it and its operation that the warranty will make it a no loose investment. If not fully satisfied then send it back for a complete refund.

Attached Images   
Old 09-04-2016, 08:02 AM
Franklin2
Received 1,680 Likes on 1,357 Posts
Originally Posted by kr98664
However, because my engine has plenty of blowby, under certain conditions oil fumes blow backwards through that hose into the air cleaner housing. Those oily fumes are then drawn through the air filter and into the carb and burned.

Is that supposed to be like that? Not really, but I think it's fairly common with high mileage engines. Will I do anything about it? Not really, because otherwise it runs fine and I'm too cheap to rebuild the engine to overcome such a minor issue. Occasionally I have to wipe up a little bit of oil that has collected in the air cleaner housing, but that's about it.

One "fix" for that scenario is to obtain a breather cap with a hose, and connect it to the air cleaner housing. Then your truck will be like mine. Perfect? No. Adequate? Yep.
You can get many years of use out of a engine that has a lot of blow-by. But eventually you will be going to plan B, there will be so much smoke and oil up in the air cleaner it will not run well. Plane B is to take the hose off the aircleaner and put a longer hose on it and run it down low to a can hanging on the frame. Then it get's so bad that the plugs start fouling, then it's done for.

Old 09-04-2016, 08:05 AM
rowdyredneck
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you losing any brake fluid? I have seen a few cases where the master cylinder started leaking and vacuum from the brake booster pulled the brake fluid into the booster, then eventually into the engine where it gets burned off causing white smoke.

Quick Reply: Smoking Exhaust on One Side