1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

I'm back...

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 12:07 PM
ghart
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm back...

After a 4 year hiatus, I've decided to pick back up on my restoration (or perhaps more accurately, resto-mod). Looking forward to getting back into things.

I bought the truck 7 years ago. My dad (an old car guy) and myself (some, but limited experience) started working on it, doing minor things like replacing the floorpans, etc. He was then diagnosed with lung cancer and eventually lost the battle. After his passing, it was difficult to work on the truck (both because of grieving and because of my limited automotive knowledge). I'm still kinda tearing up just thinking about that. But I've decided that I'm ready to pick back up with our project.

The truck is a 1949(ish) F-1 with the V8 flathead (technically a Merc 255 I think) and 4-speed floor shift. Almost everything is original except for the replacement flathead and a half-baked 12 volt conversion. It's drivable and has a pretty solid body, but is definitely a rough ride (as to be expected with nearly 70 year-old truck!).

My goals with the truck:
  • Keep as much original as possible, but uprgrading things that improve safety and, to an extent, drivability
  • This isn't going to be a daily driver, but I'd eventually like to feel comfortable enough in it to do multi-day cruises (say, travel part of Route 66)

What I've done so far:
  • Replaced the floorpans
  • Some temporary rewiring (headlights, taillights, etc)
  • Replaced the brake master cylinder, all wheel cylinders, and all brake lines

What I'm planning to do in the near future (will be posting topics for some of these soon:
  • GM 1-wire alternator conversion (parts have been ordered, will be coming in this week)
  • Replace the rusted-out exhaust system (will likely keep the manifolds, not sure yet)
  • Upgrade the steering system (it's very loose, thinking about doing a manual Toyota steering box with the MidFifties install kit)
  • Will likely replace the rear-end with a 8.8" with higher gearing (not looking for highway speeds necessarily, but a comfortable 55 mph would be nice)

Alright, I think I've rambled on enough for now. I look forward to learning from you guys and sharing my experiences along the way!

Old 08-09-2016, 12:44 PM
EBEAR
Cargo Master
Received 542 Likes on 309 Posts
Looks like a good solid base for your project good luck

Old 08-09-2016, 03:57 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Im sorry you have to go thru the pain associated with the loss of a loved one and project partner, but very happy to see you back working on the truck. It can be a tribute to your Father that will be around for generations. Im sure the folks here on the site will be happy to help with questions you have concerning how or what to do on the build. Blessings for your Father, and a big welcome back for you.

Old 08-09-2016, 09:59 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Welcome back. Some of us have never left but still havent progressed on a project. Haha oh that would be me...
Sorry to hear about your father. Your truck looks good.

Old 08-10-2016, 04:33 AM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
Sorry for your loss. A number of us have angels in the garage watching our work. Many even talk to us in important moments.

I'm curious about the approach you are considering for the steering. Certainly, the box can be rebuilt as a couple of recent threads demonstrate:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...x-rebuild.html
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...e-rebuild.html

In addition, there is now another option to consider for iimproving the rear gearing. Van Pelt now has a kit to upgrade the ring/pinion for this vintage truck. Just as with the steering box, there is still work to be done, just not re-engineering original solutions. Might be worth a look.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...nd-pinion.html

Old 08-10-2016, 06:06 AM
mike.rogers
Senior User
Sorry for your loss. Good looking old truck. You can go with a 9 inch rearend out of f100 from I think mid 60's up to 73. I put a 9" in mine from a 70 f100. It bolted right in. You get to keep the same bolt pattern on front and back this way. I also pulled the dual reservoir master cylinder from this 70 f100 donor and it really helped on the brakes. The adapter plate was like $40. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...r-adapter.html Just a couple things I did.

Keep us posted on your project

mike

Old 08-10-2016, 08:51 AM
ghart
Senior User
All, thanks for the kind words and great info.

FortyNiner: I've considered rebuilding the stock steering box, but I have absolutely no experience (yet!) tearing into something like that. Also, I don't have any machining tools to properly bore the bushings (?). I guess one of the reasons I was considering the Toyota box is that I likely wouldn't need to tear into the box.

With regards to the new ring & pinion available from Van Pelt... thanks for bringing those to my attention. I hadn't seen those before. It'd be nice to keep the stock rear end, but I'm not sure that the 3.55 ratio is quite enough. I estimated that with 3.55 gears going 55 mph, I'd be running about 2431 rpm. I figure if I'm going to go through the effort to modify the rear end, I might as well go for something like 3.08 gears. Those would put me around 2109 rpm at 55 mph. I already have the 8.8" and 3.08 gears (I think), just need the 5x4.5" to 5x5.5" adapters. Well, those that the u-bolts and misc mounting hardware. Granted, even 3.55 gears are even much better than the 4.27 I've got today.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:02 PM
Bluey Zedoff
Laughing Gas
Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts
Lovely old truck! Sorry to hear about the loss of your Dad. But, if there is a heaven, and even though they say heaven is forever, I still bet he is up there impatiently wishing you'd get stuck in and get her on the road!
Best of luck with the old girl. She looks a peach!
Peter

Old 08-26-2016, 09:22 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
GHART,
I'm sorry to hear about you Dad as well. I didn't catch that at first...
I was glad to see you back into the truck project again!
I am trying to muster up some ambition and organization myself.
I haven't done SQUAT with my truck for a long time. I started a new job and have been totally consumed by that. Also the humidity and mosquito's have kept me inside this summer.
For those reading this ghart and I are only a few miles away from each other.
Unless you moved again?
Anyway...I can't promise anything, but if you need help or questions, don't hesitate to give me a call! Maybe I will find some ambition to get my butt back to work on my truck!

Old 08-27-2016, 08:03 AM
ghart
Senior User
Hey Jeff! Good to hear from ya. I actually have moved, but still in Pekin