1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

My 55 F350 got hit today!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 05:27 PM
DR Smith
Fleet Mechanic
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
If that's the worst thing that happened today , consider yourself lucky . Think how many families are getting ready to bury a loved one today , or how many found out they have cancer . A little dent gives you a story to tell . Not so bad .

Old 08-09-2016, 08:02 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 765 Likes on 375 Posts
That's a bummer. I'm glad it wasn't too bad. You should be able to get that fixed pretty easily.

Originally Posted by abe
Yes, it could have been worse. I am glad he didnt hit the front fender or smash the grille! Hmm, if he did I have a spare 54 grille... wouldn't that look nice?
Careful now abe! That's the path down the darkside.

Old 08-09-2016, 08:40 PM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 843 Likes on 478 Posts
I think it might be a total! I wonder how I can buy it salvage LOL just kidding Glad nobody got hurt!

Old 08-09-2016, 09:57 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Originally Posted by 4tl8ford
Have you contacted your insurance co. - His co might try an fudge the estimate because it's "just an old truck"
Yes, I stopped in the insurance office on my way home yesterday to give them a heads up. The secretary,.who basically runs the office, said the man's claim adjuster will contact me. If I have any trouble then I should call my agent.

Today the claim adjuster called me. He said the man who hit me reported that it was an old restored truck. He asked me what year. I told him and he said, "Hmmm, I'll have to send out an appraiser. You probably have a favorite body shop you go to. Get an estimate from him."

If the estimate and their appraiser agree then they will send me a check. So tomorrow I am going to the guy that painted my 54 this winter (and in 1999, too.).

Old 08-09-2016, 10:13 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,843 Likes on 1,842 Posts
Wow! I'm very sorry to hear that your truck got smacked. What a bummer.
From the sounds of it you are pretty lucky, the guy stuck around, he had insurance, and he was diligent about getting the process started to getting you fixed up.

Good luck on the repairs.

Bobby

Old 08-10-2016, 08:26 AM
rdemilt
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DR Smith
If that's the worst thing that happened today , consider yourself lucky . Think how many families are getting ready to bury a loved one today , or how many found out they have cancer . A little dent gives you a story to tell . Not so bad .
That is very true - it puts things in good perspective, at least for me it does.

Originally Posted by bobbytnm
Wow! I'm very sorry to hear that your truck got smacked. What a bummer.
From the sounds of it you are pretty lucky, the guy stuck around, he had insurance, and he was diligent about getting the process started to getting you fixed up.

Good luck on the repairs.

Bobby
Its good to know there are still a few good people left in the world that know when to do the right thing.

Old 08-11-2016, 11:22 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Update: went to three body shops to get an estimate. The guy that painted my 54 quoted me a price verbally but said the insurance company probably won't accept it since they'll want a computerized version. Went to another shop and he couldn't do it since my VIN didnt have 17 digits. I told him it was not a VIN . His computer didn't go back that far. Seems like these young guys can't look at a job and figure how long it will take and how much material it will take to do a job. Went to another place today and he said they could do it then went in to his computer and punched in my data code number and saw it didnt have 17 digits and said he can't give me an estimate. He knew the appraiser that was coming to see my truck and said he is good, knows his stuff and will be fair.

So the appraiser comes to see my truck. Looks it over and took pictures and said he will mail me the estimate. They will mail me the check. I can use it to fix the truck at the shop of my choice or not use it at all. I asked him if I could do the job this winter. He said yes I could. If the shop sees more problems once they start the job the insurance company will send a check to the body shop for the difference, even if it is 6 months from now.

So..... maybe.....maybe I will take the money and if it is enough and have the guy that painted my 54 repaint the the whole 55 F350. He is good and cheap. After all it is just a cab, hood and front fenders and a grille, isn't it? The current paint has runs, and some spots that are rough like it has dirt specks on the paint.

Old 08-12-2016, 02:51 AM
Oz52F1
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
By my insurance assessor eye....that sure looks like an entire RHS respray.....

Old 08-12-2016, 08:10 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
You should have another choice. Tell them to fix your truck. Most adjusters have shops that will accept there estimates. They do business with them regularly. They pay the shop directly and leave you out of the middle.

If not ask your insurance company for a recommendation. I would be suspicious of a shop that can't get any further than the VIN.

Old 08-12-2016, 09:35 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

The insurance adjuster called me today. He got the estimate from the appraiser. They will be sending me a check for $1180.

I think I will have the body shop that painted my 54. He told me he could fix it for $600. I will ask him how much to repaint the whole truck. There is a little rust bubbles at the door bottoms and the hood lip. The current paint job is quite poor when up close, lots of runs and dirt in the paint.

Old 08-13-2016, 08:13 AM
artscott61
Fleet Mechanic
Received 78 Likes on 48 Posts
It sounds like that was/is a decent insurance company that is interesting to know about the 17 numbers

Old 08-13-2016, 12:21 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 610 Likes on 379 Posts
Originally Posted by abe
The insurance adjuster called me today. He got the estimate from the appraiser. They will be sending me a check for $1180.

I think I will have the body shop that painted my 54. He told me he could fix it for $600. I will ask him how much to repaint the whole truck. There is a little rust bubbles at the door bottoms and the hood lip. The current paint job is quite poor when up close, lots of runs and dirt in the paint.
You could be opening up a can of worms....

Old 08-13-2016, 07:25 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
You could be opening up a can of worms....
What do you mean? That it might be worse than it looks? I know it takes new door bottoms and a new hood lip to fix it right.

Are you saying that one thing leads to another and then before you know it it'll be a frame off restoration?

Old 08-13-2016, 07:58 PM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 843 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by abe

I have doors and hoods LOL

Old 08-14-2016, 11:04 AM
rdemilt
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by abe
What do you mean? That it might be worse than it looks? I know it takes new door bottoms and a new hood lip to fix it right.

Are you saying that one thing leads to another and then before you know it it'll be a frame off restoration?
Exactly
You could always bank the money and wait till spring to make a decision.

Quick Reply: My 55 F350 got hit today!