Oil & Lubrication  

Oil Change Interval

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 11:23 AM
fordf150_91
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Change Interval

I am a retired teamster truck driver. I have a 2011 ecoboost. The truck just turned 20,000 so you can see I don't drive much anymore. My question is, should I wait to change the oil when the truck computer tells me so, or is it better to change more often. It usually takes about 10 months before truck says that its time to change. But, is it bad to leave the same oil in there for 10 months even though its only been driven 3,000 miles?
Anyone have any thoughts?
Thanks
3rdshift

Old 08-08-2016, 07:42 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Welcome to FTE.

Generally it's ok to follow the IOLM, or the OCI outlined in the owners manual.

BUT that will depend on the condition of the vehicle, if your using the specified service grade & viscosity engine oil, air filter, fuel filter, oil filter & servicing the vehicle as specified by Ford, as the system is calibrated to operate with lubes & filters that meet or exceed Fords requirements.

If we use other goods that say in writing they meet or exceed Fords specifications, we should be good to go.

If we use parts or fluids that are outside Fords recommendations, then it would be wise to have an oil analysis performed to see how things are going for our choice of filters, lubes, given the drive cycle & environment it's occurring in.

If it's humid, or cold & it's being mostly short tripped, where the oil isn't getting up to operating temp so the PCV system can purge condensate, fuel, blow by, ect putrid's from the crankcase, that's severe service & a more frequent OCI might be wise. How frequent can be determined by an oil analysis, to determine how long it's ok to use our oil & filter choices, under the use conditions.

Many say change at one year, no matter the mileage.

Would be helpful to know the vehicle model, engine & the other particulars mentioned above, to maybe be able to suggest a OCI without the cost of an oil analysis, based on condition of the vehicle, fluids & filters chosen, typical drive cycle & the environmental conditions in which they're being used.

Some beginning thoughts for consideration.

Old 10-14-2016, 08:11 AM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by pawpaw
If it's humid, or cold & it's being mostly short tripped, where the oil isn't getting up to operating temp so the PCV system can purge condensate, fuel, blow by, ect putrid's from the crankcase, that's severe service & a more frequent OCI might be wise.
Have not posted any comments in quite a while but as this is a subject that is near and dear to me, I have a need to say something.

You hit the nail on the head with your "oil not reaching operating temp" comment.

The algorithms in all of the computerized oil change interval software include at least as one of the variables the number of key turns per mile. The more engine starts/stops per mile, the shorter your oil change interval.

But not all start/stops are the same.

For example, when still alive, my mom lived in OH. Although she kept her car in a garage, during the winter, the temperature in the garage could be in the 20s or even teens.

So she would start the 20* engine, drive about 1-2 miles in mid-teens temperatures to the grocery store. Park the car in teens temperatures while she shopped for 30-45 minutes. Then drive 1-2 miles home and park the car, maybe for 2-3 days before she drove it again.

Compare that to me living in TX. During August, it is not unusual for my garage to be in the 90s or even 100. So I start a 90*+ engine, drive 1-2 miles in temps that are in the low 100s to go to the grocery. Park the car for 10-15 minutes in low 100s temps. Then drive home and park the car in a 90*+ garage.

I could give further examples but so could all of you.

The point of this rather long diatribe is that not all key turns are the same. There are bad short trips and not so bad short trips. But the engine computer, to the best of my knowledge (please correct me if I am incorrect), does not distinguish between bad short trips and not so bad short trips. Between good key turns and bad key turns. So the pre-programmed oil change interval errs on the side of being conservative.

Unfortunately, if you are under warranty, you are almost compelled to follow the engine computer demands.

Old 10-17-2016, 11:10 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,100 Likes on 1,000 Posts
You will not be found guilty of oil mismanagement by the computer by changing oil at 5000 miles rather than the recommended 7500 miles! Oh yes, it would be nice to know how to reset the oil computer!