Modular V10 (6.8l)  

5W20 => 5W30: no more oil loss (consumption)

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 11:02 PM
truckfella
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
5W20 => 5W30: no more oil loss (consumption)

For those that were paying attention:

A few months back, Ford changed the recommended oil for the 6.2L V8 from 5W20 to 5W30. There was not a corresponding engine re-design to go along with this. So my thinking/opinion (albeit with no evidence to back it up) was that Ford was seeing enough engine failures and/or wear attributed to the thinner oil that they changed to the slightly thicker viscosity.

I've always thought that 5W20 was awfully thin stuff for my V10. Especially in the summer months when it spends a fair amount of time hauling 14k gross up 7-8% grades, at 4k RPM, with ambient temps hovering around 100'F. So, earlier this spring, I thought "what the heck", and my last 2 oil changes have been 5W30.

I haven't noticed any changes in how the engine runs. I keep Torque App running whenever I'm hauling, and the vital engine parameters which I monitor haven't toggled at all since the change in viscosity.

What I have noticed, however, is that my engine no longer consumes (burns?) about a quart of oil between changes anymore. I'm nearing the end of my 2nd oil change for the summer, and it's as full as it was when I first added fresh oil to it weeks ago.

I'm just curious if anyone else who has made the change to 5W30 has noticed anything similar?

Old 08-04-2016, 01:59 AM
Omega Man
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My early 99 calls for 5w30 in the factory manual, I was surprised when I read others talking about 5w20.

5w20 is what I would expect to find in a 50cc scooter or a Toyota Yaris, not a 7k pound truck.

Old 08-04-2016, 04:21 AM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
My 07 E350 V10 consumes about a quart per 1,000miles. Four quarts per oil change. That's running 5w20. I've used no name generics (Napa, Advance Auto, etc) and high end synthetics; all with the exact same results.

However, in recents years I used 5w30 a few times and noticed quite a bit less consumption. I can't remember specifics, but it was measurably less consumption.

In the end I decided to stick with 5w20 because I figure Ford engineers had good reason to choose it. And by adding a quart every week it keeps the oil clean.

I must admit I've wondered if Ford chose 5w20 just to gain that minuscule fuel economy. But then again: anything with a V10 isn't scrutinized for fuel economy (I think).

I wish we had Ford engineers in this forum.

Old 08-04-2016, 07:41 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
My V10 calls for 5W20 right on the oil cap - but I've always used 5W30 - no oil consumption ever. I did put 5W20 in it early in it's life, and I heard so much timing chain noise that I thought WTF? And quickly went back to 5W30.

Problem with oil consumption is it can be burning it (going through the valve guides or past the rings) - OR - and here's the big part: If it's synthetic, they add solvents to change the viscosity and pour point. When these solvents evaporate, the oil level goes down.

Which is how the idea that older engines "used" synthetic more than dino-oil came to be. They weren't burning it, the solvents were evaporating.

Check out the PCV system in an engine that's run synthetic all it's life - usually they have much more residue in them then dino-oil users

Anyway, in this discussion, include what brand/type of oil you've been running.

For me, I've always used Castrol GTX 5W30 dino oil in my V10.

My Taurus, however, I use Mobil 1 and it DOES use a bit between oil changes.

Old 08-04-2016, 09:34 AM
truckfella
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
I run Dino oil only in my V10, NAPA brand.

Old 08-04-2016, 11:21 AM
Diamnd1
Laughing Gas
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
I use what the MFG suggest, 5-20 syn blend Motorcraft oil and filter. Mine will use about 1/2-3/4 quart between oil changes. Buy it all at wally world for less than $25. I try to use OEM on everything I can. Good thing is the V10 platform does not require much maintenance or repairs.

Old 08-04-2016, 08:41 PM
Harryjt
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i did a bunch of research on why ford switched the oil from 5w30 to 5w20. everything i came up with was strictly fuel economy. The individual user will not see a difference because the savings is so small it is unnoticeable. when you calculate it across million cars and trucks its a lot. I switched mine with the same results. i can now make it between oil changes with only adding a quart.

Old 08-05-2016, 04:43 AM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Harryjt
i did a bunch of research on why ford switched the oil from 5w30 to 5w20. everything i came up with was strictly fuel economy. The individual user will not see a difference because the savings is so small it is unnoticeable. when you calculate it across million cars and trucks its a lot. I switched mine with the same results. i can now make it between oil changes with only adding a quart.
Can you be more specific on the research you did?

Old 08-07-2016, 08:08 PM
Harryjt
Freshman User
the ford link on the page any more. Unfortunately that is were i read the info straight from ford but the page still sums it uphttp://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...88&type=thread

Old 08-12-2016, 09:55 PM
caly350
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Harryjt
i did a bunch of research on why ford switched the oil from 5w30 to 5w20. everything i came up with was strictly fuel economy. The individual user will not see a difference because the savings is so small it is unnoticeable. when you calculate it across million cars and trucks its a lot. I switched mine with the same results. i can now mak6e it between oil changes with only adding a quart.

The only problem with your research is 8600> GVW does not count against CAFE......the reason there were no MPG ratings on the maroney.

Old 08-12-2016, 10:01 PM
caly350
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Krewat
My V10 calls for 5W20 right on the oil cap - but I've always used 5W30 - no oil consumption ever. I did put 5W20 in it early in it's life, and I heard so much timing chain noise that I thought WTF? And quickly went back to 5W30.

Problem with oil consumption is it can be burning it (going through the valve guides or past the rings) - OR - and here's the big part: If it's synthetic, they add solvents to change the viscosity and pour point. When these solvents evaporate, the oil level goes down.

Which is how the idea that older engines "used" synthetic more than dino-oil came to be. They weren't burning it, the solvents were evaporating.

Check out the PCV system in an engine that's run synthetic all it's life - usually they have much more residue in them then dino-oil users

Anyway, in this discussion, include what brand/type of oil you've been running.

For me, I've always used Castrol GTX 5W30 dino oil in my V10.

My Taurus, however, I use Mobil 1 and it DOES use a bit between oil changes.

5W is 5W......shouldn't make a difference on start up.

One reason for start up clatter could have been cheap/defective filters. Fram filters were known for crappy drain back valves.

FWIW, 5-20 MOTORCRAFT served me flawlessly in everything from DOHC Cobra motors to V10's pulling heavy in the heat.

Old 08-15-2016, 06:50 AM
Harryjt
Freshman User
Originally Posted by caly350
The only problem with your research is 8600> GVW does not count against CAFE......the reason there were no MPG ratings on the maroney.
you are correct that heavy duty trucks are not covered under CAFE. ford builds millions of cars and trucks a year. with the interest of streamlining . I guarantee the made a sweeping change across all of their gas motors to the same oil.

Old 08-15-2016, 10:42 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by caly350
5W is 5W......shouldn't make a difference on start up.

One reason for start up clatter could have been cheap/defective filters. Fram filters were known for crappy drain back valves.

FWIW, 5-20 MOTORCRAFT served me flawlessly in everything from DOHC Cobra motors to V10's pulling heavy in the heat.
I never said anything about "startup" - the chain noise was there after it warmed up.

Old 08-18-2016, 09:34 AM
CharlyG
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
price 0f 5w30 vs 5w20

It seems the Ford 30 weight costs $10 more...for the 5 quart bottle...??

I wonder why that is. I think I'm down to using either OEM or the Purple goop....

Old 08-19-2016, 02:33 AM
caly350
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Krewat
I never said anything about "startup" - the chain noise was there after it warmed up.

My bad, I misread it.

Fortunately, I've never had thst malady in a dozen+ Mod motors using MC 5-20.

Quick Reply: 5W20 => 5W30: no more oil loss (consumption)