Sponsored by: Moser

More :( than :) threads anymore.... thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 09:38 PM
jakeharp
Fleet Mechanic
Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Lightbulb More :( than :) threads anymore.... thoughts

Just an observation on my part not having looked in this forum for sometime and recently returning.... Certainly looks like the threads have transitioned into 'problem' threads more than anything....And maybe its just because 2014 was the last production year and we are all putting lots of miles on these trucks, thus issues arise like any-other but I still look at these new pickups compared to my 76' Highboy and just think they are only built to really withstand a few years and after that its more chance than anything..... And im a Ford guy thru and thru, but all the big manufactures pump these things out and don't seem to look back... This weekend my rear passenger door lock stopped functioning my 2013 f150 has 29k on it.. Should I expect the door lock to last past 29k ? You tell me..... Didn't intend to drop a boo hoo thread on you guys, its just seems to be acceptable to throw 30-60k on a new pickup and only hope to get a few years out of it.... Guess Merle was right..... When a Ford and a Chevy would last ten years like they should....

Old 07-25-2016, 11:12 PM
CuNmUdF250
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I lived in the Superduty section up til a few years ago and have always missed the enthusiasm guys have for their trucks the F150 side has always seemed a bit sleepy.

Old 07-26-2016, 05:17 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,222 Likes on 804 Posts
Originally Posted by CuNmUdF250
I lived in the Superduty section up til a few years ago and have always missed the enthusiasm guys have for their trucks the F150 side has always seemed a bit sleepy.
The F-150 side has a lot fewer issues and not to mention, a very mature group of folks who frequent the site.

If one were to drop down a bit to the 2004-2008 F-150 forum, one would be instantly inundated with high mileage related problems, mod questions, rebuild questions, etc and these trucks were just the beginning of the high tech world for F-series.

The more goodies that come on the trucks, the more issues that we're bound to have. But, how many guys here will actually settle for an F-150 XL with manual locks and roll up windows?

Old 07-26-2016, 06:50 AM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tseekins
The more goodies that come on the trucks, the more issues that we're bound to have. But, how many guys here will actually settle for an F-150 XL with manual locks and roll up windows?
Well put Tim, and I'm with you completely on that.
I have my 79 F150, no A/C, manual everything, except transmission, and I love the truck to death.
BUT, like you mentioned, I too like to goody's that are on some the new vehicles. But on the other hand, all of these "goody's" also create more problems, not to mention cost' more money. Anymore, I can't even name most of the stuff that I'm looking at under the hood, and I buy the extended warranty, so I don't have to know the names of that mystery stuff.

Unk Bob

Old 07-27-2016, 08:44 AM
King-bRanch
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by CuNmUdF250
I agree & I've only been on the "light duty" side for 2 months

I would also like to comment on the OP's "problem thread" opinion, while I agree there is a lot of those, brotha u gotta look at the Diesel forum

I mean we seem to have many issues with our beloved MONSTERS but they operate so efficient with stupid amounts of power, u cant help but love them. In short what I am getting at is ALL vehicles have issues, regardless of the brand (I use to work for GM) anything mechanical will fail eventually.

At least when major problems happen in the Gas'r world, the cost is literally a fraction of a similar diesel repair.
Maybe that bit of Info will help the Gas'r community sleep at night

Old 07-27-2016, 08:48 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by jakeharp
Didn't intend to drop a boo hoo thread on you guys, its just seems to be acceptable to throw 30-60k on a new pickup and only hope to get a few years out of it
And where are you seeing that you are only getting a few years out of a pickup?

Old 07-27-2016, 08:57 AM
King-bRanch
Cargo Master
Hey Chris,

How u been & how'd u manage to get lost in the "light duty" section

Old 07-27-2016, 07:26 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
People complain a lot more then praise.

Old 07-30-2016, 09:19 AM
paredneck33
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
FWIW I have a 2011 F150 that I purchased in Sept. 2014 with 35k on the clock. It now has over 76k miles on the clock and I've enjoy every single mile I've racked up the truck.

Old 07-30-2016, 12:05 PM
SBV45
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a complaint, it's just too darn comfortable.

Old 07-30-2016, 12:33 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by King-bRanch
Hey Chris,

How u been & how'd u manage to get lost in the "light duty" section
I've got a half ton work truck now. Sure is a nice pickup!

Old 07-30-2016, 01:36 PM
640 CI Aluminum FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Got 43.7K on my 2011 FX4 5.0L that I purchased new in 2011. The only issue I've had with the truck was a faulty battery that was replaced under warranty around 14K miles, and a recently damaged cotter pin inside of my gas cap door that causes it to not snap closed properly. Other than that, the trucks been wonderful though.

Old 07-31-2016, 07:24 PM
Pgh Rebel
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
The F-150 side has a lot fewer issues and not to mention, a very mature group of folks who frequent the site.

If one were to drop down a bit to the 2004-2008 F-150 forum, one would be instantly inundated with high mileage related problems, mod questions, rebuild questions, etc and these trucks were just the beginning of the high tech world for F-series.

I've always lived by the philosophy of "Keep it Simple Stupid!" That's why I'm on my second XL, and my '06 truck did have crank windows! I ordered that truck new the way it was for a reason, because I didn't want a whole bunch of useless options costing me more money later on down the road! When I bought this one, my wife asked me to try and get something with power windows to make it more comfortable.
The goodies are nice when they work, but they will cost you stupid money in repairs later on. When buying a vehicle I ask myself what options do I absolutely need? I start at the bottom of the options list and work up.
If I had bought this truck new, my 2012 XL, I would have preferred to add the Sync system to it. It does not have it, but oh well. I went to NAPA and paid $15 for a Bluetooth speaker that clips onto my visor. For as many calls as I actually receive while I'm driving, which isn't many, it works fine for my needs. So far, aside from a failed wiper switch, which the selling dealer repaired for me on their dime because it was 3 weeks after I bought the truck, this truck has been flawless! And I have put a few miles on it in the 3 months that I've had it.

Old 08-08-2016, 10:54 PM
brokenleg
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by paredneck33
FWIW I have a 2011 F150 that I purchased in Sept. 2014 with 35k on the clock. It now has over 76k miles on the clock and I've enjoy every single mile I've racked up the truck.

Old 08-08-2016, 11:01 PM
brokenleg
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Pgh Rebel
I've always lived by the philosophy of "Keep it Simple Stupid!" That's why I'm on my second XL, and my '06 truck did have crank windows! I ordered that truck new the way it was for a reason, because I didn't want a whole bunch of useless options costing me more money later on down the road! When I bought this one, my wife asked me to try and get something with power windows to make it more comfortable.
The goodies are nice when they work, but they will cost you stupid money in repairs later on. When buying a vehicle I ask myself what options do I absolutely need? I start at the bottom of the options list and work up.
If I had bought this truck new, my 2012 XL, I would have preferred to add the Sync system to it. It does not have it, but oh well. I went to NAPA and paid $15 for a Bluetooth speaker that clips onto my visor. For as many calls as I actually receive while I'm driving, which isn't many, it works fine for my needs. So far, aside from a failed wiper switch, which the selling dealer repaired for me on their dime because it was 3 weeks after I bought the truck, this truck has been flawless! And I have put a few miles on it in the 3 months that I've had it.
Power windows are pretty reliable now. and the regulators are what usually fails in power windows. the switches and motors hardly ever give trouble. because of my disabilities, CC and a power seat are my big things to have.

Quick Reply: More :( than :) threads anymore.... thoughts