Extremely unhappy Montana owner right now!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 08:17 AM
samboni
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I feel for you. Hang in there and I hope it all turns out well for you.

Old 10-06-2016, 08:39 AM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
There are just so darn many what ifs in that scenario, in my opinion.

Steve

The entire leisure industry, IMHO, is that way - you spend your hard earned bucks and hope whatever you ended up with works as long as you own that 'thing'. Some of the ~260,000 towable RVs built in so far 2016 end up like Monty's nightmare. At least he got Keystone and Lippert's attention. Other folks aren't, for some reason, quite so fortunate. Yep, for sure not right but it happens.

Old 10-06-2016, 08:57 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
Dave,

I think it is possible to put an end to situations like this, but not before owners become much more aggressive in their demands as a group. There are dozens of owner's groups and enthusiast groups, but they all sit back and act as though it is a good deal when they get together and the manufacturers come in for a few days and fix the stuff that never should have gone out the door.

Escapees finally came forward recently with an open letter to manufacturers (in my opinion long overdue) asking whether all of the consolidations currently underway were designed to benefit the manufacturers or RV owners (Escapees Leaders Address Industry?s ?Oligopoly? | RV Business)

As long as there is no consequence to what manufacturers are doing, they are going to keep doing it. This is something that really needs to change and we owners are the ones who are going to have to do the heavy lifting, again in my opinion. Until then, what has happened to Monty could happen to any of us.

Steve

Old 10-06-2016, 09:25 AM
mptjelgin
Tuned
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Dave,

. This is something that really needs to change and we owners are the ones who are going to have to do the heavy lifting, again in my opinion. Until then, what has happened to Monty could happen to any of us.

Steve
While it would be great for manufacturers to step up and build higher quality units, the customers are going to have to be willing to pay for the quality. We chose a NuWa Hitchhiker as our full-time rig. We looked at many others, including Montana during our search. On the surface the Montana seemed to offer more for the money, and certainly more eye candy. But when evaluating slide mechanisms, frame, axles, cabinets, etc. it was clear the the Hitchhiker was a higher quality unit.

So we payed more for a rig that was not as "sexy" looking, and we're on our sixth year of full-timing without a single issue. A good friend who has been full-timing for two years in a Montana has had axle/tire issues, the bedroom slide mechanism rip out of the wall, and now a cracked gray water tank.

But what happened to these two companies? NuWa has closed up shop because not enough folks were willing to pay the price for a quality rig, (Same with Carriage, Excel, etc.) while Keystone is going strong. RV buyers are our own worst enemies.

Old 10-06-2016, 09:36 AM
rvpuller
Received 431 Likes on 282 Posts
This is just to show that they can be taken apart and put back together again and look like it was never done even by a none professional. I pealed back both sides of mine to replace wood framing.

It should have never happened but it did and hopefully it will be better than it should have been coming from the factory.

Attached Images    
Old 10-06-2016, 10:04 AM
Iceman1777
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I've been reading on some other brands which have developed cracks or flex in the skin and their solution has been to cut a seam, just like they are doing on yours, Monty. I think the plan is good - check and repair structure to find the underlying cause, then install a cosmetic fix to help any stress movement on the skin. You're still under warranty if any further issue develop, but it sounds like a good plan. And, most of all, it appears you have competent people working on this. Unlike many, many other RV dealers.

Old 10-06-2016, 10:28 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by mptjelgin
While it would be great for manufacturers to step up and build higher quality units, the customers are going to have to be willing to pay for the quality. We chose a NuWa Hitchhiker as our full-time rig. We looked at many others, including Montana during our search. On the surface the Montana seemed to offer more for the money, and certainly more eye candy. But when evaluating slide mechanisms, frame, axles, cabinets, etc. it was clear the the Hitchhiker was a higher quality unit.

So we payed more for a rig that was not as "sexy" looking, and we're on our sixth year of full-timing without a single issue. A good friend who has been full-timing for two years in a Montana has had axle/tire issues, the bedroom slide mechanism rip out of the wall, and now a cracked gray water tank.

But what happened to these two companies? NuWa has closed up shop because not enough folks were willing to pay the price for a quality rig, (Same with Carriage, Excel, etc.) while Keystone is going strong. RV buyers are our own worst enemies.
While I half way agree with you, I do not think things have to be expensive to be well made. In my opinion, it is where the money is spent. Multiple flat screens along with all the bells and whistle are relatively cheap and do nothing to enhance reliability or durability. People have limited resources to spend on a non-essential like an RV, so I do not think spending more is the answer and we already have folks spending a ton of dollars for what I regard as junk. At present, manufacturers are not even doing a good job building what they build and I don't think we have to overlook that and simply say "you need to spend more money".

Steve

Old 10-06-2016, 11:04 AM
mptjelgin
Tuned
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
While I half way agree with you, I do not think things have to be expensive to be well made. In my opinion, it is where the money is spent. Multiple flat screens along with all the bells and whistle are relatively cheap and do nothing to enhance reliability or durability. People have limited resources to spend on a non-essential like an RV, so I do not think spending more is the answer and we already have folks spending a ton of dollars for what I regard as junk. At present, manufacturers are not even doing a good job building what they build and I don't think we have to overlook that and simply say "you need to spend more money".

Steve
I don't disagree with what you say at all. But I think that people need to set aside the appeal of "bling" and concentrate instead on fundamental structure, and many folks aren't willing (or able) to do that. As we looked at units with multiple TV's (some on cool electric lifts), fake fireplaces, glitzy light fixtures, vessel sinks, etc. I could see where many folks think that they're getting "more for their money". But what they didn't recognize was that the bones of the trailer was not up to the task.

So I agree it isn't about just the dollars, but it IS about accepting less bling to get a better basic structure for the same price.

Old 10-06-2016, 11:26 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
So a big part of our task is education and that is tough! When I hear about one RV or another having a good reputation, for the life of me I can't figure out what is being referenced other than perhaps sales numbers. Sometimes I want to beat my head against the wall.

Steve

Old 10-06-2016, 12:34 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 83 Likes on 16 Posts
So a big part of our task is education and that is tough! When I hear about one RV or another having a good reputation, for the life of me I can't figure out what is being referenced other than perhaps sales numbers. Sometimes I want to beat my head against the wall.

Steve
Steve, I look at campers about the way I do computers. For the most part, they all have the same type hardware as in water pumps, heaters, water heaters, fridges, converters etc....a few different name brands, but they all do the same thing. They just dress up their little 'package' a little different to make it more attractive, but all built using pretty much the same technology. We looked at several different models from mid-bunks, to front livings to front kitchens. Ours came down to the Jayco Northpoint 377RLBH, FR Cardinal and the Montana we currently own. I could have had the same luck with any of them. What I DO NOT LIKE about Keystone is that you can only talk to the dealer and NO ONE ELSE! With Forest River, I talked with everyone from the Chief Engineer to the head of the warranty division. They each emailed me of updates to the problem I had and even the chief engineer picked up his office and cell phone when I called. Hell you can't even get Keystone to return an email without going through the dealer nor can you even find a number to call.
Until the government gets involved with the safety of these things and puts a route of governance on them, they can do pretty much what they want. But what a messed up thing that would be! I agree, people are going to have to band together and stand up. However, you have many with the same unit that have no problems and will not acknowledge the ones that do have a problem.
I agree that sales drives this industry as to its leaders and followers. I am just not that blind. Also, there is just no recourse with these companies other than litigation and as one has reportedly said, "I work for Warren Buffet, do you think you are going to get anywhere?" With that mentality, it's hard to beat.

Old 10-06-2016, 12:53 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
I don't want to go sideways with this tread. I have the first two parts of a three part series on my blog. I do not agree that this problem can not be fixed and I absolutely can assure you as soon as a pattern surfaces where owners are ready to fight, things will turn on a dime.

One point you brought up that I think is on the money is owners often are so blinded by their purchase that they tend to minimize the problems they do have. I have heard so many times someone never had a problem until I speak with them face-to-face.

Sorry for your troubles,

Steve

Old 10-06-2016, 02:43 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
I always appreciate your dialogue!

Old 10-20-2016, 05:10 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Well, went by the repair shop and the nose is off of the camper and a forklift is under the slide. Tomorrow the slide comes out and they make access to the frame around the slide. They suspect a break in the weld around the slide in the lower front corner. Didn't get pics as I was in a hurry and had to be somewhere else quickly. Will do my best to get some.

Old 10-20-2016, 05:37 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
I hope it goes well for you!

Steve

Old 10-20-2016, 05:51 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,014 Posts
would be very interested in the outcome.

Quick Reply: Extremely unhappy Montana owner right now!