1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Modified Center Dash Panels (Pics Please!)

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 04:59 PM
Dirty Offio
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Modified Center Dash Panels (Pics Please!)

Ok,

I have seen some totally awesome mods done in the center dash or radio bezel or whatever you would like to call it on this site. BUT, they are scattered through out the site, and are not really searchable, since they may or may not be in a post where they are mentioned. So.o.o.o.o.o... I thought I would start a thread where folks can post their use of this area of their truck.

To start it off, here is one I did. The PO (a 19 year old kid) had hacked the holy howling you know what out of the bezel, the hole was to tall and too wide to mount a DIN stereo in. So, I bought an install kit for a 1.5 DIN car (89 Olds 98), and cut the hole a bit bigger and epoxied the mount in. Never have had a chance to go back and grind/sand it smooth. Maybe this coming winter I can get to it.

Sorry for the slightly fuzzy pic, I never realized until I moved it to the computer from my phone it was out of focus.

Anyone else have anything? Gauges in here? GPS? A Super Computer? LOL!

Cheers!

Old 07-23-2016, 05:09 PM
maytag906
Posting Guru

I thought about a set of mini gauges above the radio. But when I took it apart, and saw all the metal back there, I rethunk that idea.... Just an XLT emblem from a newer Ranger.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:06 PM
Dirty Offio
Senior User
I was wondering why your XLT looked better than mine! looks nice!

On my 81, the one I did the double din repair above on, the stuff behind the radio panel was plastic...I trimmed it out in a couple minutes with my dremel. Here is a couple pics:

After cutting it, but before final cleanup.<br/>

Before.

Old 07-23-2016, 10:07 PM
DeereFord300
Elder User
Does anybody have a pic of an 80-84 style bezel cut out to fit a DIN radio? I'm afraid to mess up the cutting job

Old 07-24-2016, 09:02 AM
WhatsAChevy?
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Single DIN cut-out

Mine is all apart now but here's what it looked like when I bought the truck.

The PO's handiwork. Notice the "ouch" in the upper right corner
Why he chose to mount the USB so far away from the driver's position is beyond me.

Old 07-24-2016, 09:37 AM
DeereFord300
Elder User
Thank you Don!

Old 07-24-2016, 11:03 AM
SVTDriver97
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's how mine is, from the factory. Still works too!

Old 07-24-2016, 03:23 PM
WhatsAChevy?
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
No worries

Originally Posted by DeereFord300
Thank you Don!
I trimmed my JY replacement bezel to accept the same single DIN audio unit but, the woodgrain trim is being replaced with faux horizontal stainless sheeting to match the instrument cluster bezel and door panel speaker trim panels that i have completed. The three "dead" panels at the top will house black 30a horizontally mounted rocker switches to control auxiliary lighting such as road lamps, clearance lamps and under dash/under seat "floor fog lighting" to mist the floor in faint light. I'm changing the interior color from blue to two/tone black and gray with stainless accents so i'm thinking purple accent lighting will look slick, but i can change the colors at will using color programmable LED rope lighting.. What comes to mind is : Measure twice, and cut once.

Old 07-24-2016, 03:45 PM
Mookie's 85
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
...mine's a keeper.

Attached Images  
Old 07-24-2016, 07:59 PM
Dirty Offio
Senior User
Originally Posted by WhatsAChevy?
I trimmed my JY replacement bezel to accept the same single DIN audio unit but, the woodgrain trim is being replaced with faux horizontal stainless sheeting to match the instrument cluster bezel and door panel speaker trim panels that i have completed. The three "dead" panels at the top will house black 30a horizontally mounted rocker switches to control auxiliary lighting such as road lamps, clearance lamps and under dash/under seat "floor fog lighting" to mist the floor in faint light. I'm changing the interior color from blue to two/tone black and gray with stainless accents so i'm thinking purple accent lighting will look slick, but i can change the colors at will using color programmable LED rope lighting.. What comes to mind is : Measure twice, and cut once.

Awesome! I would really like to see a picture of that when you are done...and the other parts too of course!

The floor lighting like that, I have always called Kenworth floor lights. Other brands have done it, but they did it consistantly, and it was faint, but bright enough to see a fair number of items if you dropped something...of course with my luck, I usually dropped something that would not show up! lol

Last edited by Dirty Offio; 07-24-2016 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Missed something.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:49 AM
86f250-rs
Senior User
my old dash before I swapped to a 95 f250 one. the previous owner did the black spray job and broke almost everything. I added the switch panel and rewired the entire truck since this pic. and it is functional

Old 07-25-2016, 06:43 PM
Dirty Offio
Senior User
I dig it! Was that basically a prerunner style switch setup? Start, Ignition, lights, etc?

Old 07-25-2016, 06:48 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by WhatsAChevy?
Yep, I wanna see that one as well.

Old 07-29-2016, 10:06 AM
Dirty Offio
Senior User
Originally Posted by [I
The PO's handiwork. Notice the "ouch" in the upper right corner
Why he chose to mount the USB so far away from the driver's position is beyond me.[/I]
Maybe the co-pilot was in charge of the tunes? lol!

If it had been me, I would have put it right near the stereo, since I already had that panel out.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:23 PM
Dirty Offio
Senior User

Went out and took a non fuzzy picture! lol

Quick Reply: Modified Center Dash Panels (Pics Please!)