6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

New 6.0 owners, need some tips.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 11:42 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 411 Likes on 272 Posts
I agree, it is very clean indeed. You can tell it hasn't had the engine pulled (like mine) or any major moving of components. I believe you have the stock 110A alternator, which will be on our list of things to think about upgrading, but let's see what voltage it puts up 1st, once you get some monitoring going.

Can you tell us if the coolant has a red tint to it or is it more yellow? -- in the picture on my screen it looks red, which likely would mean an EC-1 coolant (good thing). And if Seth gets a chance have him peek under the driver's side battery cover and see if the batts are matching. On Edit: the upper radiator clamp is not stock -- maybe someone replaced a hose here and there or did some coolant system flushing?! (good thing)

I keep wanting to call you Linda, only because your username is Lr....

How much did the dealer charge for the new HFCM drain? (they're like $17 or less) Just gives us a reference for how much they are doing the "bad shop" thang, which ticks me off, and that is taking advantage of anyone not mechanically savy, but in particular women. That price is getting up there, even with synthetic oil -- they did offer you a free inspection, and didn't do much more than that, in fact I would expect to see brake pad thickness all 4, tread depth, fluid checks (quantity and quality), air pressure (including spare), all on a free, courtesy inspection...

Make sure to have Les Schwab change the brake fluid, unless Seth says it looks clear and clean... Do you have alloy wheels on the truck? Did you try the parking brake test? First Q is because you can just look in and see the outer brake pad on each side, to see how much is left -- but if you're going to Schwab, they'll give you an honest report, doesn't matter who you are either

Old 07-20-2016, 12:46 AM
Lrhodes0809
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I said the same thing about this "buyers inspection"($119)(ETA: they charged me $80 for the oil cap and taxes was almost $50) they told me it was more in depth, but I really don't see how it was. I may call the service manager tomorrow and discuss this in detail. The drain plug they didn't have in stock so they told me that I could stop back by on Thursday and they would install it for me. No I hadn't had a chance to do parking brake as I didn't get home till after 7pm and I had to feed my kids. I'll have les Schwabb look at it tomorrow.

Seth is working crazy hours this week (thus the reason I had to take it to ford anyway). If you can point me in the direction of the coolent I can check. What should I do for the battery to check that (sorry I'm not Seth so you need to explain like you would to a child).

My name is Lindsay (you were close though).

Old 07-20-2016, 01:26 PM
Lrhodes0809
Junior User
I am at les Schwabb now, they are checking brakes, parking brake and fluids. They said if fluids need to be changed I have to make an appointment, but will check them for me. The wheels have to be the originals as they have a ford emblem on them. I will take a pic for you later. I'll check the coolent if you tell me which bottle it is, not a problem. I assumed the battery and alternator would need to be upgraded, but we will wait until we get the monitor system.

I may take this question to another forum, but will ask here too. We are planning to upgrade my husbands stereo, as he is a music nut. Are there any of the fancy new touchscreen stereos that do the monitoring also? Seems like it would be a good combo for people looking to have an upgraded stereo and monitoring in one.

I did test what they said about reverse in incline jerking (by accident really, our driveway is quite steep). And it does give quite a jerk. Any insight on why that would be happening. I am sure if ford could have justified it being the transmission they would have, but they said it was not.

Old 07-20-2016, 02:31 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Lrhodes0809
I am at les Schwabb now, they are checking brakes, parking brake and fluids. They said if fluids need to be changed I have to make an appointment, but will check them for me. The wheels have to be the originals as they have a ford emblem on them. I will take a pic for you later. I'll check the coolent if you tell me which bottle it is, not a problem. I assumed the battery and alternator would need to be upgraded, but we will wait until we get the monitor system.

I may take this question to another forum, but will ask here too. We are planning to upgrade my husbands stereo, as he is a music nut. Are there any of the fancy new touchscreen stereos that do the monitoring also? Seems like it would be a good combo for people looking to have an upgraded stereo and monitoring in one.

I did test what they said about reverse in incline jerking (by accident really, our driveway is quite steep). And it does give quite a jerk. Any insight on why that would be happening. I am sure if ford could have justified it being the transmission they would have, but they said it was not.
Usually they can fit in a brake fluid change -- maybe they are just busy today. Don't worry about the battery right now and the coolant isn't urgent, but what you are looking at is the tank that looks a little triangular up high on the driver's side, it is translucent on the sides and that is where you can make out the color of the coolant.

You'll have to give us more on the reverse jerk. So, you still have your foot on the brake, put it in reverse and then in jerks? Or is it when you start to give it throttle? or is it as it is moving in reverse it jerks, as in like a slip and catch, slip and catch?

Do a quick search on Joying in the "what did you do to your 6.0l today thread," or just jump back a few pages and you will see one of the Android head units for stereos folks are looking at. There are other ones out there... That'll give Seth something to chew on...

And nice to meet you, Linsay

I will be away from the computer for a while -- good luck at Schwab!

Old 07-20-2016, 02:53 PM
Lrhodes0809
Junior User
Ok so LEs Schwabb said there was till 3mm left on the rear brakes, parking is good and fronts are new. Said In a few months we will need to replace pads and it would cost $375, much better than a grand.

I will test the rear jerk some more when I get home, but it only did it once when I took off my brake as it started moving and then it's was fine. I will double check to make sure though.

Thanks I will check there about the stereo.

Attached Images  
Old 07-20-2016, 03:40 PM
Lrhodes0809
Junior User
Here is a close up of wheel.

Also LS said brake fluid was clear but low, so they filled it for me.

Attached Images  
Old 07-20-2016, 04:33 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Back sooner than I thought. Great news from Schwab! Nice, very nice looking truck -- is it a Lariat? Those are the same stock wheels that came on ours. Clean brake fluid is good, means somebody has been changing it and we can move on. Parking brake is what I expected and from what I could see in the pictures the rotor looks fine, and they would have said something if they weren't.

Did they mention what all their brake service would cover? Seth could likely get away with just replacing the pads and lubing the calipers. I remember reading once that Schwab does a very thorough brake job, which includes removing and resurfacing the rotors -I think that is a pain on the rears, but I've not done a set so someone else can chime in; then they also REPLACE the calipers with rebuilt ones and of course new pads. I think the calipers are unlikely needing to be replaced with only 80k and in particular if the fluid has been changed regularly.

I personally am not a fan of machining rotors automatically, I only do them if they need it. So this is a place where we can save a little money and it'll wait until Seth has time for it.

Lindsay: where in Washington are you? I'm wondering if you are close to anybody that could just put their monitoring device on and put it through its paces and see if there is anything jumping out needing immediate attention -- give you more time to pick something out for longer term...

Maybe I'll PM Sean and have him "tune in" here -- I think he still lives in WA...

Old 07-20-2016, 05:16 PM
Lrhodes0809
Junior User
Seth said the same about the break pads. They said everything looked great otherwise.

Yes it's a lariat.

We live north of Seattle by about 1.5 hrs.

We are deciding on the monitor today, i think we may just go the cheaper android route for now until we can save up and get a nice dash mounted one later.
ETA: I just ordered this one: https://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products...tag=shopz0d-20

Should be here tomorrow.

Old 07-20-2016, 05:38 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Lrhodes0809
Seth said the same about the break pads. They said everything looked great otherwise.

We live north of Seattle by about 1.5 hrs.

We are deciding on the monitor today, i think we may just go the cheaper android route for now until we can save up and get a nice dash mounted one later.
And just start out with Seth's phone until you decide, that way you'll get all the data we (you) need for little cost. Do you have the Driver's Glovebox? I bought a micro USB charge cable with a 90 degree end piece on the micro side and plugged it into a usb cigar lighter charger (the cord is 10 or 12" long), then fire up Torque and put it on the screen I want and set my Droid Turbo right in the glovebox. Fits nice and tidy and leaves the truck when I do...

I PM'd Sean (Yahiko) as he "knows people" (kidding) in Washington... He also has developed some expertise on the transmission as well as a slew of other stuff. I think he may be south of you but not sure -- anyway asked if he could take a peek at this thread you have going, so I expect him along any time now...

Old 07-20-2016, 05:40 PM
Lrhodes0809
Junior User
Originally Posted by diesel_dan
I remember reading once that Schwab does a very thorough brake job, which includes removing and resurfacing the rotors -I think that is a pain on the rears, but I've not done a set so someone else can chime in; then they also REPLACE the calipers with rebuilt ones and of course new pads. I think the calipers are unlikely needing to be replaced with only 80k and in particular if the fluid has been changed regularly.
Yes this is what LS was going to do for the 375.

Old 07-20-2016, 05:53 PM
Lrhodes0809
Junior User
Originally Posted by diesel_dan
And just start out with Seth's phone until you decide, that way you'll get all the data we (you) need for little cost. Do you have the Driver's Glovebox? I bought a micro USB charge cable with a 90 degree end piece on the micro side and plugged it into a usb cigar lighter charger (the cord is 10 or 12" long), then fire up Torque and put it on the screen I want and set my Droid Turbo right in the glovebox. Fits nice and tidy and leaves the truck when I do...
Not sure what a drivers glove box is? There are a lot of little storage places in the truck. He is going to use his phone for now, and we will figure out something for me if it comes to that. After this week he will be driving it 90% of the time I've gotten use to driving this beast around and don't want to go back to my minivan. But his schedule should neutralize next week (hopefully) and he will be able to start handling more of the stuff. He may jump in at some point as he has really enjoyed getting the help (reading over), that we needed to figure things out. (I may be finally showing him the helpfulness of good forums )

ETA: Seth went to pick up the touch up paint from ford (he was going by that way for work today) , that I ordered yesterday to fix a couple dings on the canopy and he asked the service manager what exactly was the difference was between a maintenance inspection and a buyers inspection and they showed him a sheet that showed what each entails. Basically with a maintenance inspection they just look at things, but a buyers they take things apart and actually look for things. They also run it through diffirent test to make sure it doesn't show any issues in the drive test. He showed him the report in ours and the only things that they were concerned about were the things I took a picture of. He told him that was an outrageous price for brakes and told them Les Schwabb didn't agree. He said that they were just letting us know that they needed to be fixed sooner than later. Not sure what to think about that.

Old 07-20-2016, 06:18 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Originally Posted by warnd4
Meant to add : DieselTechRon on YouTube, a nice guy, I think he passed away in a car accident recently but his videos on the 6.0L remain and are great source of learning
Welcome to FTE

A&P welcome to the small world of aircraft and diesel trucks.

Over the last year we lost Ron (DieselTechRon) and Rusty (SrMasterTech).
Both have given a lot of very good useful info into the care of the 6.0L Engine.

Anyway Where are you located? I am in Spanaway and would be happy to
fill you in on things and if you need an eyeball to look things over.

I really did a lot of skimming and not reading in detail. One thing that I
think you want high on the list of things to get done would be a blue spring
fuel pressure regulator update. It may already of been done and that is easy
to check.

Also what dealer did you buy from?

Sean <BR>

6.0L Tech Folder

Old 07-20-2016, 06:29 PM
Lrhodes0809
Junior User
Originally Posted by Yahiko
Welcome to FTE

A&P welcome to the small world of aircraft and diesel trucks.

Over the last year we lost Ron (DieselTechRon) and Rusty (SrMasterTech).
Both have given a lot of very good useful info into the care of the 6.0L Engine.

Anyway Where are you located? I am in Spanaway and would be happy to
fill you in on things and if you need an eyeball to look things over.

I really did a lot of skimming and not reading in detail. One thing that I
think you want high on the list of things to get done would be a blue spring
fuel pressure regulator update. It may already of been done and that is easy
to check.

Also what dealer did you buy from?

Sean <BR>

6.0L Tech Folder
We are in Whidbey so quite a distance. We actually bought it from a small used dealer in Seattle. We looked for over 3 months at all brands and type until we found our truck, we initially were going to stay away from the 6.0 bc of its rep, but after looking at our options and hubby loving ford, we found one that the original owner had left all the (I don't think it was everything now) service records with it) and had low mileage compared to most we had looked at, also had everything else we wanted (but didn't need) a truck. Best of all it was a good price, as you know trucks here in the PNW are on the high side in comparison to other parts of the country☺️

Old 07-20-2016, 10:01 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
That is really not THAT far. In the late 90's I was driving to Spokane
every other month. But it is one of the things you want to plan for.

Sean <BR>

6.0L Tech Folder

Old 07-20-2016, 10:55 PM
Lrhodes0809
Junior User
It truly isn't. Hubby and I will jump in the car and drive to JBLM for the day. Here on the island people look at you crazy if your driving to Seattle.

How can we find out about that update? Thanks for skimming my post, I know it's long. I don't think I've ever found such nice helpful people on a forum.

Quick Reply: New 6.0 owners, need some tips.