6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Wal-Mart DEF Jugs warning

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 05:29 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I buy it when I need it where ever I'm at. This could be another chicken little story. Even if it did happen, hope you realize how things go viral on line.

Old 07-14-2016, 05:44 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,198 Likes on 573 Posts
Originally Posted by 69cj
I buy it when I need it where ever I'm at. This could be another chicken little story. Even if it did happen, hope you realize how things go viral on line.

Originally Posted by mebe2k
i've always bought DEF from the truck stops.. Pilot, Flying J, Loves, etc. never had a problem..I only buy the expensive jugs if I absolutely have to, or if I need another spare to keep around. I always refill my empties with truck stop DEF as well..

If the truckstops were selling contaminated/watered down DEF they would be sticking their butts out for some large trucking company to take a big bite out of them..

I would agree. I buy my DEF, and fuel for that matter, wherever I am when I'm low. Never an issue.

Old 07-14-2016, 06:38 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
I've never had an issue and it's possible this could be BS - I know the selling of old expired DEF isn't, because I have seen expired DEF on the shelf. But then again, I've seen expired milk too...

I typically fill and refill my jugs at a bulk station too - but there are no bulk DEF station in all of Alaska that I can find. There are no pilots, co-pilots, flying js, sprinting q's, loves, likes, hates, or TAs either. We have Holiday, Chevron, Shell, Tesoro, Costco, and then grocery store chains like Carrs and Fred Meyer. (some mom and pop one's too - like Auntie Maes....)

Last I checked they didn't have the foil cover like the oil container does, but it has been awhile since I bought a jug. I'm still using some previous refill stuff from my last drive up from the Lower 48... Thanks to a forum member here, WK15, generously donating his unused DEF to me, since he doesn't use it.

I've seen some nasty looking diesel pumps in my day and I can imagine that the DEF pumps which are going on several years old now, might be getting nasty too...

Old 07-14-2016, 08:08 PM
Lastwagen
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
" I've seen some nasty looking diesel pumps in my day and I can imagine that the DEF pumps which are going on several years old now, might be getting nasty too..."

I've made it a habit to check the fuel nozzle for grease and dirt before sticking it in the filler tube. If you've ever wondered where all the crap on the primary fuel filter came from well here's a start. I guess it would be the same with the DEF filler but I don't fill DEF at the station.

Old 07-15-2016, 12:40 PM
Tim Young
Hotshot
Received 3,564 Likes on 1,425 Posts
Originally Posted by superrangerman2002
Don't the WM jugs have the foil tear off covering? It's been so long since I've used the jugs.

I do agree with Daksters comments on the Def bulk stations. Kinda makes a guy wonder if one should just stick to jugs.

I'm not sure about the foil thing but I just bought a 2.5 gal jug from Wal-Mart last week and it never had any sort of seal on it. Geeze, I hope it wasn't water! How long before I would know? 1st regen after putting in water? It's had one partial and one complete regen sense then. I bet I am okay.

I just can't help to think that if someone has enough money to own a diesel that requires DEF that they can afford a jug or two of DEF at Wal-Mart.

Old 07-15-2016, 01:34 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Regens and DEF are not the same. DEF goes through the DOC/SCR not the DPF... Too many three letter acronyms....

I'd bet you would know soon because the truck sprays DEF and watches the NOX sensors.

Old 07-15-2016, 03:12 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[QUOTE=Dakster;16423801]

I typically fill and refill my jugs at a bulk station too - but there are no bulk DEF station in all of Alaska that I can find. There are no pilots, co-pilots, flying js, sprinting q's, loves, likes, hates, or TAs either. We have Holiday, Chevron, Shell, Tesoro, Costco, and then grocery store chains like Carrs and Fred Meyer. (some mom and pop one's too - like Auntie Maes....)

QUOTE]

Old 07-16-2016, 04:54 AM
HouseMouse
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Statement from WallMart?. Police report? Consumer complaint? Warning from Ford? News report?

Old 07-16-2016, 11:20 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
It wasn't me that was affected - it was a consumer complaint. I got it sent to me by another person that uses DEF... Just saying to be careful when buying it. I'm careful at any store I buy things at, wal-mart is easy to return things, but AutoZone, O'Reilly's, Advance, Target, and others all take stuff back too.

Old 07-18-2016, 07:41 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Tim Young
I'm not sure about the foil thing but I just bought a 2.5 gal jug from Wal-Mart last week and it never had any sort of seal on it. Geeze, I hope it wasn't water! How long before I would know? 1st regen after putting in water? It's had one partial and one complete regen sense then. I bet I am okay.

I just can't help to think that if someone has enough money to own a diesel that requires DEF that they can afford a jug or two of DEF at Wal-Mart.
I have a WM jug in the garage. its the paper type cover, so it could be torn off and reglued. this is the same as on the Bluedef jugs.

Old 07-18-2016, 11:10 AM
Icthus in AK
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm curious how many have a locking fuel door--I think you have an exponentially higher risk of malicious contamination via vehicle tampering than all the that with the labor that would be required with skillfully re-glueing paper seals and such.

Me? I've installed am AMI billet door and don't think twice when buying DEF.

Old 07-18-2016, 11:33 AM
Ford_Doctor
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Actually, water will cause an engine de-rate condition followed by speed limited to 5 MPH if driven long enough once the lack of NOx reduction is detected. It usually happens quickly. I guess the worst case scenario is if you are driving in the middle of nowhere with no way diagnose this and correct the condition... or find a local repair facility or tow truck. It sucks that there are scumbags doing this.

Old 07-18-2016, 01:24 PM
donovan
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Walmart

I use wallmart for oil and def

I have purchased oil taken it home to find used oil in the container. I took it back to Wal-Mart and the replaced the oil. There was not foil seal on the oil container.

On DEF it has some type of paper cover. It seems to be more work replacing the foil then it worth.

Old 07-18-2016, 02:11 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Some people have no morals, money, and a lot of time on their hand I guess.

Carry on and don't worry about it - Icthus is right, this is probably a rare thing that stung a person who griped on social media and it spread from there.

Old 07-19-2016, 08:42 PM
projectnitemare
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I just bought Walmart def, paper seal was intact. Realistically if you keep your receipt and you have problems shortly after filling with any brand def I would think someone would have to cover it. It had crossed my mind to keep a def tester in the tool box, they are like $20 on Amazon.

Quick Reply: Wal-Mart DEF Jugs warning