Looking To Trade

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 08:15 AM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Looking To Trade

He all,

I have a '12 Keystone Laredo 38.5' fifth wheel. Our family has now grown with the addition of our first baby girl last year. When we bought this 5er we didn't have kids, never thought it would happen so we bought something that the wife and I along with the dog would enjoy. Flash foreward, as the baby grows we are looking for something with a bunk house so she can have her own space when she gets older and some room if she wants a friend to tag along.

With that being said we love the Laredo, it seems to be built well, but I do have some issues. I know that quality is a common problem across the board, but who makes a nice trailer with bunks in a 5er? My local dealer doesn't have much of a selection on the lot, and I'm not going to a tow behind. Also my plans are for a dually at some point and my current truck is a F350.

Weve thought about maybe waiting to see if she likes 4 wheelers and maybe getting a toy hauler, wifes not sold on it but I wouldn't mind going that route.

Sarge

Old 07-13-2016, 10:03 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
September at Hersey park is the largest RV show in the U.S. I believe.

Outside of Harrisburg, PA.

I might suggest you go there and have a look. Held over several days to include the weekend. Not sure of the dates for this year but you should be able to find it online.

That is probably what I would recommend in your case.

Old 07-13-2016, 10:38 AM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Thanks,

Might be doable, my aunt lives in Reading so I would be able to see her as well.

Sarge

Old 07-13-2016, 10:50 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
The Hershey show is the largest show that is close to you, but you will find local shows with smaller selections. "Nicer" is a highly personal thing. Everyone makes a bunkhouse and reliability will be a wild card no matter which manufacturer you choose.

Sounds like you have some time to do research.

Steve

Old 07-13-2016, 11:10 AM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Yeah Steve we have time for sure. Just want to make a really informed decision this time. We kind of jumped in with both feet on the Laredo and there are some things I would defiantly do different.

Sarge

Old 07-13-2016, 11:32 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
Using an RV show, usually little to no pressure from the sales people, helps to target what you want and don't want.

Be sure to discuss ahead of time the must haves. As an example, we must have two bathrooms. All RV's without two are automatically crossed off the list.

Old 07-13-2016, 12:00 PM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
search on-line dealers.. view floor plans..

and as already said .. make a list of Yes/need items.. and No/don't want items.
helps a lot.

when I/we were looking for our second trailer.. a Must from the wife.. a kitchen that I could pass without bumping into her... and Found a Nice trailer with a Front kitchen... with a large front window as well. She really likes this trailer.

she can do cooking or dishes and see the world pass by out the window.

and a rear bedroom with a real door to close.

sometimes its the little things that make the biggest differences.

Old 07-13-2016, 06:45 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,694 Likes on 2,750 Posts
The RV show I went to here in Denver listed all the RV models that would be on the floor. That's a good way to find out if the ones you're interested are even there. The list also helped to know exactly which vendor to hit and which to avoid.

I was particularly impressed with the Forest River Work & Play toy haulers and spent a lot of time looking at them at the show even though the specific model I wanted wasn't there. I then stumbled upon the Winnebago toy hauler and good grief I was blown away how much better configured it was than the Work & Play.

I had new 5 toy haulers on my short list but I ended up buying a used one from a friend for significantly less. More $$$ to spend on my future truck.

Old 07-19-2016, 09:20 PM
SandR
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We are considering another purchase as well. Our steps:

We started out by both of us making a list of what we want on a unit

I went to rvtopten.com. They list RV manufacturers and what type they make. I am going down the list for each manufacturer and looking at fifth wheel plans. If there is one we are interested in I input some general data in a database and a floor plan snapshot. When I complete the list we will narrow the list by which ones fit our needs, weight of the units, etc.,.

I have made it to 'K' on the list. What I have learned is that there are several possibilities I would not be able to view if I looked local. We are in no hurry which gives me time to get my unit on the market to sell myself.

Good luck with your process. Be patient and educate yourself.

Old 07-20-2016, 06:04 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Since I tend to focus my attention on construction, I have also found it helpful to view cross sections in the manufacturers' brochures for floor thickness, along with wall, and roof construction. When buying used, many manufacturers keep archives of their brochures from years past which you can view online.

Steve

Old 07-20-2016, 07:19 AM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
I stopped by the local RV mart earlier this week just because I was out that way. The selection in 5th wheels with bunk houses wasn't great. There was a cardinal there that caught my eye, and what was nice about it was the bunk house was in the center of the rig, which I thought was a nice thing. I really liked that floor plan, whether or not the domestic supervisor will...that's another question.

That type of floor plan works for me. Ill take your advice on the web site and spread sheet as we aren't in any hurry either. If we were to special order a RV what are the pros and cons to that. I mean I know the pros, but what about cost savings. Some of the units I was in had a MSRP of say 67k, and a "sale" price of 52. Would I see that kind of savings if we special ordered.

Just trying to see what you folks have had with the special order process on something like this.

Sarge

Old 07-20-2016, 08:50 AM
SandR
Senior User
One thing we have learned if ordering through some of the Jayco brands is that a G rated tire and wheels is an option. I think on there website it is around $2k. A lot of brands are making a mid-bunk house.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:37 PM
CaptnJohn
Junior User
MSRP on TTs and 5ers are nothing but a number to deduct 30% or so from. On a new coach of current year 27% - 35% should work no matter if on the lot or ordered.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:45 PM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Good to know. Looks like we have it narrowed down to 3 manufacture's.

1.Heartland This is our top pick quality seems the best all around here.
2. Jayco Designer Series
3. Montana

2&3 were really neck and neck, but the Jayco edged out by a hair.

Sarge

Old 07-22-2016, 08:52 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Sarge261
Good to know. Looks like we have it narrowed down to 3 manufacture's.

1.Heartland This is our top pick quality seems the best all around here.
2. Jayco Designer Series
3. Montana

2&3 were really neck and neck, but the Jayco edged out by a hair.

Sarge
Whoa, I thought this was going to take a while. Did it just shift into high gear?

Steve

Quick Reply: Looking To Trade