2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Receiver size

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 06:55 PM
Mr. Mcbeevee
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MC_Greenmachine
These new trucks need some weight to settle em down, so on 3" they're designed to carry more weight, and josh correct me if I'm wrong but it'll take an awful heavy trailer to require a WD hitch, maybe not at all, so you won't need one more than likely, at least I won't be using one under the required weight number
Either that or he does not want to pull out his back toting around a 150 lb hitch.

Old 07-07-2016, 09:09 PM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
These new trucks need some weight to settle em down, so on 3" they're designed to carry more weight, and josh correct me if I'm wrong but it'll take an awful heavy trailer to require a WD hitch, maybe not at all, so you won't need one more than likely, at least I won't be using one under the required weight number
It depends on the balance of the trailer. A heavy (or any) tongue weight starts to take weight off the front end. That is why weight distributing hitches make a better handling vehicle, especially with heavy tongue weights. They were primarily designed for cars and light duty trucks pulling travel trailers but have expanded into heavier use although I would prefer to have the proper equipment in the first place. The goose neck trailers (and fifth wheel) are much better for those loads since the hitch point is forward of the rear axle and puts weight on both the rear and the front axle. It is still wise to balance the load so the trailer is taking its' share of the weight. Look at my avatar, albeit small. I had a 4 ton 1947 Studebaker on a 22 foot 5 ton trailer. I could not turn the truck around so the heavy end was near the front of the trailer and the front of the truck unweighted somewhat. The pic was before I inflated the airbags but it was a long 150 mile trip home. I felt every seam and imperfection in the highway due to the heavy tongue weight. Truck drove and handled fine except for the jarring ride. Next time will be a goose neck trailer.

Old 07-07-2016, 11:06 PM
LCR
More Turbo
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Doesn't matter how much the hitch/truck is rated to carry, when you start moving weight to the rear you mess with balance. Put 2-3000lbs on a bumper and see what happens to your steering feel. A dually may be rated to haul 6000# but when 2-3000 of it is on the bumper 36" rear of the axle you're asking for trouble.
The whole point of WD is it distributes weight, not because the rear axle can't support the tongue weight but because the front axle is being unloaded. This is why 5th/GN hitches mount a few inches forward of the rear axle, yes, the rear is still bearing the brunt of the weight but it does not unload the front and steering and braking are greatly improved.

Old 07-07-2016, 11:12 PM
LCR
More Turbo
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Or what rasalas said above me.

I just don't see what a 2.5" that's rated for 25K isn't capable of that you need a 3" maybe the Ford OEM just doesn't want a super heavy duty 2.5 and a 3" is just cheaper to manufacture, or is Ford going to have some crazy 30K bumper tow rating to make it worth while?

Old 07-08-2016, 03:48 AM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Here is a pintle hook drop hitch mount for 3" receivers. The weight rating is 25,000 lbs with up to a 4,000 lb tongue rating which will match ratings of the straight shaft dual ball mount discussed earlier. (also shown below)

https://www.etrailer.com/Pintle-Hitc...e/RP38186.html

Old 07-08-2016, 04:14 AM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
The ratings of the hitch receiver and the ball and pintle mounts may be much higher than the factory ratings for the truck. 2016 factory tow ratings were substantially less than the 2 1/2 in hitch and receiver ratings by the manufacturer. It will be interesting to see if Reese manufactures drop ball mounts in the near future to support the 3 in receivers.
These are the 2016 ratings:
http://www.ford.com/trucks/superduty/specifications/

Old 07-08-2016, 06:42 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
Rasalas,

Why is there no badge on the side of your truck denoting the engine?

That aside, I feel like the current trucks handle heavy tongue weight pretty well. I've measured 1700lbs of tongue weight on my current F-350 and the front end felt fine. I try to avoid the W/D bars as much as possible, what a pain.

Old 07-08-2016, 09:22 AM
MC_Greenmachine
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Mcbeevee
Either that or he does not want to pull out his back toting around a 150 lb hitch.
I don't know where your buck fifty came in, but my old one was around 55 pounds in the box, got to love Andersen hitches. L

Old 07-08-2016, 09:24 AM
MC_Greenmachine
Senior User
Originally Posted by Rasalas
Here is a pintle hook drop hitch mount for 3" receivers. The weight rating is 25,000 lbs with up to a 4,000 lb tongue rating which will match ratings of the straight shaft dual ball mount discussed earlier. (also shown below)

https://www.etrailer.com/Pintle-Hitc...e/RP38186.html

Yeah the top one and a bolt-on is what I'd go with

Old 07-08-2016, 09:25 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,693 Likes on 2,750 Posts
I don't know where your buck fifty came in, but my old one was around 55 pounds in the box, got to love Andersen hitches. L
Maybe he keeps the bars installed on the hitch when he carries it around?

Old 07-08-2016, 09:28 AM
MC_Greenmachine
Senior User
Originally Posted by HRTKD
Maybe he keeps the bars installed on the hitch when he carries it around?
Man I don't know

Old 07-08-2016, 09:48 AM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by troverman
Rasalas,

Why is there no badge on the side of your truck denoting the engine?

That aside, I feel like the current trucks handle heavy tongue weight pretty well. I've measured 1700lbs of tongue weight on my current F-350 and the front end felt fine. I try to avoid the W/D bars as much as possible, what a pain.
Right side came off when the door had to be painted due to break in. Left side came off around 175Kmiles due to salt. If you can't hear it you are deaf anyway. Sitting on my shelf waiting for ambition to re-install. Oh wait, that's why I bought a new truck!

WD bars are a real pain on rough terrain. Tears the hell out of everything.

Old 07-08-2016, 09:54 AM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Yeah the top one and a bolt-on is what I'd go with
I like that idea too but with several trailers at varying heights I don't want to unbolt and reattach every time. At $164 I wouldn't want to buy three for the different heights. The straight one is at$100 which is a little steep in and of itself. So, some tube stock and my welder and my old ones (2 1/2")will be 3".

Old 07-08-2016, 10:17 AM
Mr. Mcbeevee
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Man I don't know
You mean those come off?
The WD hitch for my 2 inch feels to be around 50 lb, unless a 3 inch hitch is fluted I would imagine it would be quite a bit heavier.

Old 07-08-2016, 10:17 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by Rasalas
Right side came off when the door had to be painted due to break in. Left side came off around 175Kmiles due to salt. If you can't hear it you are deaf anyway. Sitting on my shelf waiting for ambition to re-install. Oh wait, that's why I bought a new truck!

WD bars are a real pain on rough terrain. Tears the hell out of everything.
Got it, I can see the little bit of rust creeping in that pic.

Well, the new badges are more similar to your old ones than the current round ones.

Quick Reply: Receiver size