1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

State inspections

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 11:40 AM
Nicholas Fluhart
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
State inspections

I see a lot of CA smog threads on here, and I'm curious. How do most states conduct their inspections these days? Is it still done by local shops, or is there actually a public employee that does it?

Old 07-02-2016, 12:16 PM
JayFinAZ
Senior User
In AZ, the emissions testing is done by the state Dept of Environmental Quality. OBDII cars they visually inspect and stick a code reader on. Older ones are visually inspected and run on a dyno with a tail pipe sniffer. Everything that was on it from the factory is supposed to be there. They also check all the gas caps.

Old 07-02-2016, 12:27 PM
redbayredneck
Senior User
In Florida, they look to see if it has a current tag and insurance. If it does, it's legal.

Gotta love the south.

Old 07-02-2016, 01:03 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,794 Posts
In CT it is done by local garages but not all local garages are ok'ed to do the testing by the state.
I only had OBD cars/trucks done by local garages, they plug in run the check and if no CEL is on you are done. Don't remember them looking too under the hood, maybe check gas cap but again you would get a CEL if it failed. No safety check in CT.

Here in NC it is also a safety check. Only had my wife's car and my DD truck go thru so far in the year we have been done here.
Wife took them both and my 02 Dodge Durango failed with a bad exh system. Once fixed when I took it back in they did plug it in, checked a sticker under hood and was done, never looked at the exh system this time. Again both never had a CEL on so when plugged it would pass the state test.

I am told when the time comes for the 81 F100 to get plates just a 1 time safety check and that is it as it is too old.
Dave ----

Old 07-02-2016, 05:14 PM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts
No regular inspections at all anymore in MN. Of course if a cop sees something they don't like they can look it over.

Old 07-02-2016, 05:27 PM
kg6mov
Junior User
CA is still private shops. There's a few different kinds though including STAR, Smog Only, and then Referee.

Old 07-02-2016, 05:44 PM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Maine Basics ...

In Maine you have to have an Annual Sticker on the Windshield. You can get them at any Authorized shop and they are everywhere, Most shops get Authorized it's a money thing, the price is set by the state except for Commerce vehicles ... Note, I said Commerce not Commercial, Commerce vehicles are at the liberty of the Authorized shops rates.

Maine distinguishes between Commercial and Commerce, All vehicles capable of 10k or more GVW are Commercial vehicles, If used as a carrier it is considered a Commerce vehicle and subject to the Commerce laws.

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

Old 07-02-2016, 07:01 PM
Nicholas Fluhart
Junior User
Interesting. Some of you guys have it rough. It wouldn't fit my old iron lifestyle to live in some states.

My state overhauled the DMV about 20 years ago, eliminating annual inspections and offering permanent trailer tags, both of which are fantastic. However, they essentially just raised a few other fees to compensate for that revenue, so all it basically amounts to is less of an inconvenience for people.

Registration here is about $35 per truck, up from $25. I even have a 3 1/2 ton truck, still $35 (antique tags though). I don't know about commercial trucks. I know commercial pickups are not inspected, unless during a traffic stop by state trooper.

Old 07-02-2016, 09:54 PM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts
Texas, for safety which is 1 to 2 years old and 25 and older you check safety items, park brake, brake check, all lights, wipers, horn, and seat belt. On vehicles between 3 and 24 years old you undergo a emission test as well. ASM tests are done on OBD I vehicles which means as of now 1992 to 1995 are put on a Dyno and ran at low speed and high speed. Vehicles over a specific weight are done on a TSI or two speed idle test which only reads some emission gasses but not all. By 2020 there will be no more OBD I vehicles requiring emission testing so just 4 more years.

Now as far as diesels goes, they are safety only and some differences is all duallies must have mud flaps if they do not they automatically fail the safety test. Like wise we were informed about 6 years ago when I was still doing state inspections that the new super wide tires that is a single tire used to replace dually tires on duallies are still considered a dually and still requires mudflaps. Besides that you check them like any other safety. Now heres the kicker, they are talking and they might do it soon. But they are really wanting to emission test diesels as well. main reason is because shops like where I work at work diesels are commonly straight piped and tuned or they have the DPF gutted and reinstalled.

Besides that the location for these tests are determined by the state. You apply for a inspector shop license and that is it. Then your shop and machine is checked on a monthly or yearly basis. Longer between your checks is determined by if they think you have something to hide or not.

Another thing is we went to one sticker system, you no longer get a inspection sticker. So your inspection has gone down cost wise but the cost is tacked onto your registration. Like wise the state has gotten rid of Truck plates which if your truck was registered via truck plates your registration fee was based off the gvw of said vehicle. Mine was cheap for my F150 but since they got rid of it my truck now cost me close to $80 for registration.

Old 07-03-2016, 03:12 AM
kg6mov
Junior User
Yeah, unfortunately in CA pickups are all commercial so we have to pay weight. Luckily I'm heavy so I still don't have a cat or evap system. Just has to pass the sniff test.

Old 07-03-2016, 07:59 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Inspection? What's that?

Old 07-03-2016, 04:50 PM
Nicholas Fluhart
Junior User
Originally Posted by redbayredneck
Gotta love the south.
Yep, that and freedom.

Old 07-05-2016, 05:10 AM
Old Hickory
Laughing Gas
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
In North Carolina any vehicle that is 35 or more years old doesn,t have to be inspected.

On OBD I vehicles they do a visual of the lights, turn signals, etc. Cost is 13.60.

OBDII vehicles get plugged in and checked. Cost is 30.00.

Old 07-05-2016, 07:46 AM
awhtx
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Texas has emission testing only in specific counties such as Harris (Houston), Travis (Austin), Bexar (San Antonio) and Dallas (Dallas). No emission testing in my county- safety items only.

Old 07-05-2016, 11:23 AM
WhatsAChevy?
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
No state vehicle inspections in Ohio aside emissions in certain counties (1990-->forward) which is free, including a free fuel cap (Stant crap) replacement if it fails the pressure test excluding "salvage/builder titles" and that is to insure proper vehicle equipment is installed and working.

Last edited by WhatsAChevy?; 07-05-2016 at 02:35 PM. Reason: afterthought

Quick Reply: State inspections