1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hood scoop?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 11:59 PM
hotweekend
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Hood scoop?

Alright guys, I have a 00 F450 and I noticed the ac work so much better when the hood is open, also all the hot air coming from the motor aren't going under the cab making it hot. So my idea is to install a hood scoop so most of the hot air go to the top making the AC more efficient.
Did anybody came with this theory before or I'm the only one with this mental illness?

Old 07-02-2016, 12:57 AM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Over, under, or around; no matter where you route the air it will still have a steady stream of hot air moving past the cab when you are driving down the road unless you move the engine behind the cab.
In my opinion you would be better served by insulating the cab better or getting/making a louvered hood.
I don't know if this will fit a F450 or not, but something like this should help move air out of the engine compartment.
Keystone Heat Extractor Functional Hood 99-06 Super Duty Keystone Heat Extractor Functional Hood 99-06 Super Duty,Keystone Heat Extractor Functional Hood 99-06 Excursion,Keystone GHF-101 Ford Hood [Keystone GHF-101 Ford Hood] - $800.95 : Zen Cart!, T

Or something like these Trans Am side vents

Old 07-02-2016, 07:39 AM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts
In 1996/97 the Jeep Grand Cherokee came with a 318 or 360 chi engines. To deal with the extra heat generated by the larger engine the factory equipped them with hood vents. You could purchase just the vent parts and install in your hood.

Old 07-02-2016, 08:25 AM
Brian15501
Freshman User
I've been think about an inlet hood scoop only about 1 1/2" rise. In addtion to the larger hood louvers such as these:

Diesels - Hood Louvers | RunCool | Hood Vents For Your Vehicle -

Yes it would cheaper then a full fiberglass hood but within my budget.

Old 07-02-2016, 01:53 PM
hotweekend
Cross-Country
Thumbs up

I was thinking something like this 20 x 23 x 3.5 high.

Old 07-02-2016, 02:32 PM
sunuvabug
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hotweekend
... snipped ... Alright guys, I have a 00 F450 and I noticed the ac work so much better when the hood is open ...snipped ... Did anybody came with this theory before or I'm the only one with this mental illness?
Not sure about the laws where you are but driving with the hood open is illegal in Canada.

Old 07-02-2016, 02:41 PM
hotweekend
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by sunuvabug
Not sure about the laws where you are but driving with the hood open is illegal in Canada.
HaHaHa!!
Canada are too strict!!!
Here in GA we are more relaxed

Last edited by redford; 07-14-2016 at 05:23 AM. Reason: Fix HTML tags
Old 07-02-2016, 02:50 PM
GN1220
More Turbo
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
A hood scoop is only going to force more air into the under hood area. Having a big hole there will also allow rain, snow, bugs and crap to enter as well. To remove heat look at the fender vent idea. The Trans Am's used them, GNX's, new Porsches........You need to get the heat out not force more air in.

Old 07-02-2016, 03:02 PM
hotweekend
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by GN1220
A hood scoop is only going to force more air into the under hood area. Having a big hole there will also allow rain, snow, bugs and crap to enter as well. To remove heat look at the fender vent idea. The Trans Am's used them, GNX's, new Porsches........You need to get the heat out not force more air in.
You are correct. I am thinking install the scoop with the hole to the back ( like the trans am on the photo) so the hot air come out .

Old 07-02-2016, 05:02 PM
ufvj217
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
interested in what you end up doing, i am thinking about getting a full steel cowl hood for my 04 dually eventually. i like how they look (1 piece, not a bolt on vent) and i assume they function good too, letting hot air out of the engine bay.

here's one i'm thinking of getting. cheapest so far, and i like the clean simple look, no extra body lines or anything (not a fan of them anyhow). i know of a guy that runs this one and he's happy with it. i prefer steel hoods rather than the fiberglass ones anyhow.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/kpt-1987-035

here's the search results with other models.

https://www.summitracing.com/search?...%20cowl%20hood

Old 07-02-2016, 05:21 PM
GN1220
More Turbo
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Guys, the Trans Am and cowl hoods DO NOT remove hot air from the engine. They are designed to pull cool air at the base of the windshield INTO the engine compartment. Look at any wind tunnel testing and you will see the area at the base of the windshield creates a swirling effect forcing air into the engine. Hence the "Cowl Induction" on 1970 Chevelles, cowl hoods on '69 Camaros and the scoop on the T/A's. You need to get the heat out via vents or louvers.

Old 07-02-2016, 10:06 PM
phillips91
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GN1220
Guys, the Trans Am and cowl hoods DO NOT remove hot air from the engine. They are designed to pull cool air at the base of the windshield
This is 100% correct. They don't pull hot air out, but by forcing cold air into the engine compartment it will still lower the under hood temperature.

Old 07-02-2016, 11:44 PM
SDSC4X4
More Turbo
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Another angle of attack...

You might be better served by a pair of electric "pusher" fans behind the grill. You have all sorts of options for control and the best place to bring in cool air is the front of the truck. That's why the radiator is up there.

A higher volume of air moving through the engine bay won't be as warm when it exits under the truck and it will cool the engine compartment more.

Mounting the fans in front will make your AC cooler, as well as boosting the cooling capacity of your radiator. There is information about this in the various threads about installing the "Ranger coolant bypass valve." I want to install a couple of those fans on my truck with parallel controls from a thermostat in the engine bay or the coolant system and a relay triggered by the compressor clutch circuit.

I put the bypass valve on my '01. The valve makes the AC noticeably cooler. It also allows you to use the "Vent" position instead of "AC" on marginal days because the air is cooler entering the system. It costs about $35-$60 to do it yourself, depending on how you do it and if you buy a Motorcraft or aftermarket valve.

My truck is an XLT and the most thermal insulation in my cab is the carpeting and felt mat beneath it on the floor. With that in mind, it is logically the best place for the air to exit the engine compartment.

With the fans, you won't have to trouble with hacking up your hood or matching paint.

Old 07-03-2016, 02:02 AM
twigsV10
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A hood scoop regardless of which direction it is pointing will be only effective at 50+ mph, either way it is pointed pushes air into the engine compartment....that Pontiac Trans Am scoop is used to push air into the intake at high speeds. With a truck you want heat to go out and air pushing in from the top and front will not help reduce heat in my opinion.

Old 07-13-2016, 05:43 PM
SDSC4X4
More Turbo
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
As an afterthought, the Keystone Heat Extractor hood that Sam I Am mentions does work to lower under hood temperatures. I saw a thread where a guy installed one and then monitored under hood temps in various locations in the engine compartment with a remote bulb thermometer. Above 60 MPH the temps ran about 10 degrees cooler. Under 60, no noticeable change....

In another "what do you guys think?" thread that hood was preferred over stock and the other aftermarket hoods pictured. Even if the cooling is marginal, you get killer styling! I have one, but haven't painted and installed it yet, so I can't speak from my experience. I'm still working on a long term project that is significantly higher priority right now.

Quick Reply: Hood scoop?