6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Paint warranty advice - major screw up by local dealer

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 06:22 PM
bobback
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paint warranty advice - major screw up by local dealer

Bought a new Platinum Ford super duty last summer. Despite how meticulous I am, inspecting vehicle before purchase I missed 2 tiny rocks in clear coat on paint. Yep, you read that correct.

One in the hood and one in passenger front door.

Long story short...

Door has been repainted by local Ford dealer 3x. 1st time due to correcting rock in paint.

2nd time due to "divots" (for lack of better term) in bottom quarter of door. I was shocked that Ford let truck go looing that way, as it was me that caught this error about a week later.

3rd time due to paint not matching. Again, was me that caught it.

Hood has to be repainted again due to some crap in paint. In detailing hood there was so much buffing compound in clear bra line that Ford had to remove clear bra as could not clean the transition line to paint.

After Ford having truck for 2 weeks, I pick up truck yesterday and not detailed. Wasn't surprised based on pass experience with these guys.

So I take truck through touch less car was this morning, and clear coat overspray all over windshield, and pretty much all windows.

And clear coat overspray on roof of truck, fog lights, black molding...well pretty much everywhere.

So...wtf do I do know? As the Ford body shop is obviously incompetent, so struggling wondering what next.

Take to a competent body shop and try to make Ford pay for it?

Ask them to make me a sweet deal on a new truck?

Talk to an attorney? I REALLY don't want to do this but I'm at my wits end with this body shop being there is NO quality control. And truck has progressively become worse.

C'mon, clear coat overspray? They obviously didn't tape off a f'n thing.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Old 06-25-2016, 07:41 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 83 Likes on 16 Posts
Call the regional manager and take it to another dealer.

Old 06-25-2016, 09:31 PM
bobback
New User
Originally Posted by golfmedik
Call the regional manager and take it to another dealer.

Since the local dealer has screwed things up; will Ford corporate cover things?

Would another dealer want to fix this screw up? As almost entire truck will have to be buffed; and there is an art to buffing. A very tedious project.

Old 06-25-2016, 09:37 PM
suzuki0702
Elder User
Most dealers have body shops owned by the dealer, not ford...By calling ford, i feel its very unlikely you will get any help...

Old 06-26-2016, 06:19 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,201 Likes on 575 Posts
I read this post last night and wanted to give some good advice but came up with nothing. Thinking I was just tired and full of adult beverages, I went to bed and figured I'd re-read with fresh eyes in the AM. Wow, I still got nothing. As the posts above suggest, another dealer is unlikely to help. So, a call to Ford corporate is in order. I'd personally be fighting for a new truck, not a repaint. That will likely involve a lawyer and is something forum rules prohibit us from discussing. I really feel for you and hope for the best possible outcome. I just don't like the outlook on what you'll have to do to get there.

Old 06-26-2016, 06:29 AM
F2502011
More Turbo
Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
Trade it you'll never be satisfied with it.

Old 06-26-2016, 06:38 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,437 Likes on 1,028 Posts
I got a call for job yesterday. I was third on his list as I am more expensive. I don't work for free.

First two cancelled because they didn't want to get their trucks dirty.

Why did they buy a truck I wonder?

Old 06-26-2016, 07:22 AM
tony montana 42
Senior User
What color is the truck? Easy ways to get rid of the over spray. But you shouldn't have to do it yourself. Fine steel wool on the glass, and some over spray clay will take it off.

Old 06-26-2016, 08:33 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,829 Likes on 2,779 Posts
Some years back I had body work done on my car and it came back with overspray all over the place. I was pissed and took it back and told them to fix it. They did and that was the end of it.

Nowadays, if I couldn't be without the vehicle then I would break out my supply of polish and the random orbit polisher and be done in about an hour.

If the paint is still unacceptable then I would start going up the chain of management at the dealership.

Old 06-26-2016, 06:42 PM
bobback
New User
Originally Posted by tony montana 42
What color is the truck? Easy ways to get rid of the over spray. But you shouldn't have to do it yourself. Fine steel wool on the glass, and some over spray clay will take it off.

Color red - for lack of better term the candy apple.

Correct, shouldn't nor will not do it myself.

Let's just say not much faith in the dealer so far. Isn't taping off things body shop 101? And they are going to have to buff to get overspray off paint - which for those of you that know; buffing really is an art. As buffing can create scratches in the paint which then need to be sanded.

Will see what the ol' dealer will have to say tomorrow; first will swing it by a couple of other body shops to see what they have to say.

Old 06-26-2016, 07:38 PM
tony montana 42
Senior User
Bob sounds like you have ruby red metallic. It is a tough color to match as I am a full time painter. If you lived near me I would take care of it for you. And I wasn't applying you should take care of it yourself. The shop may have to do some blending now to correct the color issue. Believe it or not sometimes over spray has a lot to do with paint booth draw rather than the mask job. If the clear just lingers in the booth after your done clearing, it will eventually find its way on other panels

Old 06-26-2016, 08:35 PM
bobback
New User
Originally Posted by tony montana 42
Bob sounds like you have ruby red metallic. It is a tough color to match as I am a full time painter. If you lived near me I would take care of it for you. And I wasn't applying you should take care of it yourself. The shop may have to do some blending now to correct the color issue. Believe it or not sometimes over spray has a lot to do with paint booth draw rather than the mask job. If the clear just lingers in the booth after your done clearing, it will eventually find its way on other panels

What would be the best way to remove the overspray on the paint? Or really should I just leave it except for the windows? As you can't tell it's there unless you move your hand over the "coarse-ness."

We keep vehicles for a long time; only put on 5k miles over the past year. Do I have to worry about warranty issues down the road if body shop is offering lifetime warranty?

And appreciate the offer though!

Old 06-26-2016, 09:13 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 99 Likes on 84 Posts
The re-painting was as warranty work. Ford/dealer should cover the clean up. I would contact the regional manager.

Old 06-27-2016, 02:47 PM
22rimfire
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How is the dealer acting on this? Are they being courteous, and acting like they want your business? If you want to use them in the future, I would tell them you don't really want their body shop people touching your truck any more, but you'd like to work this out. Full trade-in value? No? OK then, I'm taking the truck to a competent detailer. Will you pay for that? No? OK then, don't expect any more business from me. Have a nice day. I then would do just that. Take it to a good detailer and pay to have it cleaned up, and be done with it. Sucks, but that's all I can think of.

Quick back story; When I bought my '15, they found a truck for me at another dealer. When I got there i did a good visual while they were getting things ready inside. I found a dent in the front fender, and misalignment of headlight assy. Salesman was pissed, and said very sorry and we'll find you another truck. Sales manager then comes out and puts on the hard sell. We'll fix it. Nope. "I'm paying for a new truck, and that's what I want. What I do to after that is what it is." Keep in mind this is the same guy I haggled with for an hour over the price. I had signed paperwork, and we can argue about what his, and my obligations were at that point, but after I reminded him that this was the fourth new vehicle I'd bought from them, and we didn't want it to be the last, he relented, and they found another truck.

Good luck, but like I said, if your happy with the paint at this point, and it's just the overspray, a good detail person should be able to fix you up. I wouldn't let the lot boys at the dealer try.

Old 06-27-2016, 03:50 PM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
In my area we have several great places to get body work and paint done. A dealership is not one of them. Love my dealer but not for paint. I would hate to be in this situation.

I wouldn't purchase tires from my dealer either. Just some things that others seem to do better.

Good luck in resolving this problem.

bruce...

Quick Reply: Paint warranty advice - major screw up by local dealer