1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Weird problem when trying to crank

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 10:34 PM
rohdox
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Weird problem when trying to crank

Finally got my rebuilt motor in and unplugged the coil pack so i could let the motor prime before i fired it up.

I then plugged the coil pack in and turned it over for a few seconds and it fired up and ran for a few seconds then i heard a slight pop noise and it died

Now it is acting like the battery is dead but the battery reads 12.5 volts with no load and 12.0 with the ey in the crank position.

It is a ford 4.2 with a 5speed
motor has no miles on it as far as the rebuild trans has about 280k on it.

have not replaced anything yet.

Old 06-22-2016, 04:03 PM
enriched&beyound
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Remove the spark plugs and see if it turns over better then?

So, it won't turn over at all?? or just slow?

your battery my still be bad....have it load tested, most parts stores will do that.

double check all connections , electrical and vacuum and fuel

Old 06-22-2016, 05:12 PM
rohdox
New User
Originally Posted by enriched&beyound
Remove the spark plugs and see if it turns over better then?

So, it won't turn over at all?? or just slow?

your battery my still be bad....have it load tested, most parts stores will do that.

double check all connections , electrical and vacuum and fuel

No it will not turn over at all. When I turn the key I get a click and all the dash lights go off.

I'm going to be checking the battery cables tomorrow. They may have corroded some while the truck was sitting with no motor

Old 06-22-2016, 09:22 PM
steve(ill)
Hotshot
Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
you could have the compressor clutch locked up / failed which locks the belt to the pulleys and motor will not move.......... or you could have a relay on the firewall failed and not letting the battery voltage to the starter motor... follow the + wire from the battery all the way to the starter... is there a relay inbetween ? Jumper it and see if starter turns, or try to turn over crank pulley with breaker bar to see if compressor clutch has failed.

Old 06-22-2016, 09:38 PM
rohdox
New User
Originally Posted by steve(ill)
you could have the compressor clutch locked up / failed which locks the belt to the pulleys and motor will not move.......... or you could have a relay on the firewall failed and not letting the battery voltage to the starter motor... follow the + wire from the battery all the way to the starter... is there a relay inbetween ? Jumper it and see if starter turns, or try to turn over crank pulley with breaker bar to see if compressor clutch has failed.

I did jump the relay and all i got were sparks. starter did not engage. I can turn the crank with a breaker bar and everything turns with it.

Edit: I just checked the relay with a multimeter. One post is getting 11.85 volts and when the key is on RUN they are both getting 11.85 volts. (battery discharged a little from trying to test it.)

The motor still turns by hand and all pulleys are moving freely.

Old 06-23-2016, 05:54 AM
enriched&beyound
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rohdox
I did jump the relay and all i got were sparks. starter did not engage. I can turn the crank with a breaker bar and everything turns with it.

Edit: I just checked the relay with a multimeter. One post is getting 11.85 volts and when the key is on RUN they are both getting 11.85 volts. (battery discharged a little from trying to test it.)

The motor still turns by hand and all pulleys are moving freely.
If ya haven't already, complete the test like Steve(ill) suggested, make sure you have voltage all the way to the starter. Was the starter ever checked out?

I thought that there was a "inline" fuse on the positive cable to the starter?? I might be thinking of something else??? IDK

Also, when you did turn this over with breaker bar....did you just turn a little bit?? Or did you turn it over move than 2 complete revolutions? (to help rule out mechanical failure)

To get a clearer picture, did you overhaul this engine or swapped in a "less tired" one?

Old 06-23-2016, 08:05 AM
rohdox
New User
Originally Posted by enriched&beyound
If ya haven't already, complete the test like Steve(ill) suggested, make sure you have voltage all the way to the starter. Was the starter ever checked out?

I thought that there was a "inline" fuse on the positive cable to the starter?? I might be thinking of something else??? IDK

Also, when you did turn this over with breaker bar....did you just turn a little bit?? Or did you turn it over move than 2 complete revolutions? (to help rule out mechanical failure)

To get a clearer picture, did you overhaul this engine or swapped in a "less tired" one?
I turned it over about 2-3 full rotations. I have not had the starter checked yet. The motor is a complete overhaul.
There is an inlinr fuse on the + side of the battery.