1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Locker. Where to begin?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 09:54 AM
kcducttaper
Tuned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Locker. Where to begin?

I'm interested in dropping a manual locker (switch on the dash style) in my '99 F-250. I'm pretty new to lockers, but I think all I really need to match up is just the diff size (8.8, I believe) and the diff ratio doesn't really matter as the locker is just going inside the ring gear. I know pneumatics were the way to go for a while, but if electric lockers are a viable option these days for light duty work (driving firewood out of the woods, pulling the boat up the boat ramp, etc a handful of times a year), I think I would prefer to go the electric route. If anyone has some more knowledge to drop, I would appreciate it!

Old 06-20-2016, 10:05 AM
projectnitemare
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
99 f250, 7 lug or 8 lug, that will matter as they are different platforms entirely. From what I gather you are looking for an electronic locker for the rear axle? If for the rear there's no carrier break meaning the differential is good for all ratios. The Dana front axles typically have a break for 3.73& down and 4.10&up. You can also run into thick and thin ring gears so you need to know what you have. You will need to reshim the carrier for backlash during the install.

Old 06-20-2016, 01:21 PM
kcducttaper
Tuned
I'm not really sure I know what you mean on the lugs thing. Surely it's not just counting the number of bolts on the diff cover...? Yeah, it's the rear I'm interested in. It's a 2wd with 4.10's and I just want a little more traction back there on occasion at low speed is all.

Old 06-20-2016, 03:15 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
He means the number of lugs on the wheels. The root of the questions is do you have a Super Duty or a Light Duty F-250.

The LD F-250 was sold form '97-99 and looked like the 97-03 F150, it's most recent cousin is the HD F-150 with 7 lugs sold somewhere from 2009-2011 ish?

Old 06-20-2016, 03:36 PM
kcducttaper
Tuned
Ahh. It's a SD with 8 lugs. I didn't even know they made 7-lug anythings. I thought it was always 6 or 8.

Old 06-20-2016, 11:13 PM
99f350sd
Lead Driver

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
I have a detroit locker they work well in a heavy truck. No nothing to do. Power on its locked power off its not..I like it..always ready no surprises. Lock right up front..

Old 06-21-2016, 12:45 AM
FoxRodder
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do some searching on the Detroit TrueTrac. It's a gear style Posi that would always be engaged for better traction in all conditions and does not use any clutches that could wear out. I'll be going with one very shortly. I'm also nearly ready to pull the trigger on an ox locker for front axle. If you absolutely must have a selectable type locker, have a look at the ox. The cool thing is you can install with just a manual lever with a cable, but they also sell an electric solenoid and air actuator kit if you prefer. They also sell a small emergency tool that allows you to lock the diff manually if your actuator system fails. The tool just screws into the side of the cover.

For your purposes though I think the TrueTrac would be the better choice for rear axle. My buddy has put one in two of his super duty trucks and says it's about as important as putting in fuel. I'll be ordering one very soon

Old 06-21-2016, 07:37 AM
wizkid00104
Cargo Master
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by FoxRodder
Do some searching on the Detroit TrueTrac. It's a gear style Posi that would always be engaged for better traction in all conditions and does not use any clutches that could wear out. I'll be going with one very shortly. I'm also nearly ready to pull the trigger on an ox locker for front axle. If you absolutely must have a selectable type locker, have a look at the ox. The cool thing is you can install with just a manual lever with a cable, but they also sell an electric solenoid and air actuator kit if you prefer. They also sell a small emergency tool that allows you to lock the diff manually if your actuator system fails. The tool just screws into the side of the cover.

For your purposes though I think the TrueTrac would be the better choice for rear axle. My buddy has put one in two of his super duty trucks and says it's about as important as putting in fuel. I'll be ordering one very soon
This is great info. I would also like to put True-Trac in my truck at some point. Definitely in the rear, possibly in the front for the mountain trips in the winter.

The OX locker is also an awesome product. The ability to do swap between air actuated, cable actuated, or electric actuated is very clever and gives a lot of versatility. And the override tool is pure genius.

Just keep in mind that there will be some decent installation cost with whatever you go with. And with a 99, it would probably be a good idea to get an install kit that includes all bearings and seals for the axle.

Here is an example of the 7 lug 7700 F150.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...50-7700-a.html

Old 06-21-2016, 08:54 AM
Brian15501
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been looking at the Yukon myself. Not sure if I want Posi or Air lockers. Differently front and rear.

Old 06-21-2016, 09:10 AM
kcducttaper
Tuned
Thanks for all the good info! I'm still on the fence with locker vs lsd. I've grown up driving lsd pickups and they can definitely be a handful on washboards sometimes. An lsd would be easier and a 'set it and forget it' kind of thing, but I really don't need the extra traction but only a couple times a year.

Old 06-21-2016, 04:25 PM
IDI Diesel
More Turbo
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
I have an 8.8 ford axle in my jeep, it has 35s. I installed a electric detroit locker by a performance shop. Got it out to test it going up a 2' rock and i managed to snap the spider gears that came with the locker. I since had an OX air actuated locker installed and have seriously beat it!! It hasn't shown any issues or failed me. Spend a little more up front to eliminate the cost of doing the install twice like I had to. my $.02 is go OX or nothing

Old 06-21-2016, 05:39 PM
V10man
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I had a lengthy conversation with a guy at a gear shop. He recommended the True-trac and even said to buy it from Summit racing vs him because of their lowest price. He said it works great for everything but having a wheel off the ground. 4:30's and a true-trac are on my to do list.

Old 06-21-2016, 07:21 PM
kcducttaper
Tuned
I've decided I'm definitely going with selectable locker instead of lsd setup. I did some more proper research today and dang, these can get pricey! An OX is $1,080 just for parts!

Originally Posted by IDI Diesel
I have an 8.8 ford axle in my jeep, it has 35s. I installed a electric detroit locker by a performance shop. Got it out to test it going up a 2' rock and i managed to snap the spider gears that came with the locker. I since had an OX air actuated locker installed and have seriously beat it!! It hasn't shown any issues or failed me. Spend a little more up front to eliminate the cost of doing the install twice like I had to. my $.02 is go OX or nothing
Dang man. I was starting to eye this Detroit E-locker literally just 10 minutes before I saw that. You're right though - I don't want to spend twice the time and money because one exploded... Those E-lockers don't seem to have a terribly good reputation, so I may be shelling up the dough to buy an OX.

I'll do a little bit more research to see what's actually on my truck just so I don't get a nasty surprise, but I believe this is the best longevity option for me is the electric version of the OX locker with as short of a cable as I can get (36"), then extend the wires up to the cab.

Old 06-23-2016, 06:33 AM
IDI Diesel
More Turbo
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by kcducttaper
I've decided I'm definitely going with selectable locker instead of lsd setup. I did some more proper research today and dang, these can get pricey! An OX is $1,080 just for parts!

Dang man. I was starting to eye this Detroit E-locker literally just 10 minutes before I saw that. You're right though - I don't want to spend twice the time and money because one exploded... Those E-lockers don't seem to have a terribly good reputation, so I may be shelling up the dough to buy an OX.

I'll do a little bit more research to see what's actually on my truck just so I don't get a nasty surprise, but I believe this is the best longevity option for me is the electric version of the OX locker with as short of a cable as I can get (36"), then extend the wires up to the cab.
So I already had an on board compressor and tank so I ran a dash switch to an air solenoid that lets air go to the locker. I live in VT and didnt like the idea of a cable that could potentially get water in it and freeze on me. Also the cable is stiffer and can be harder to route to a mounting point. Air is always good to have especially of you might want to air up a tire, camping matress or air horns. You can get cheap compressors or a 5 gallon tank from harbor freight and mount it to the frame.

Old 06-23-2016, 06:40 AM
wizkid00104
Cargo Master
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by kcducttaper
Yes they can, but I think it is worth mentioning that you would find an OX locker in a truck with 12" of suspension lift with a tuned diesel turning 44" Super Swampers. The amount of stress that locker has to withstand is unimaginable. They are not cheap, but when it comes to axle components i truly believe you get what you pay for.

Quick Reply: Locker. Where to begin?