1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

One-Hundred Twenty-One

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 09:24 AM
Jklnhyd
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I would rather be at 121 in phoenix at 5% humidity, than texas at 91 degrees and 78% humidity.

Old 06-20-2016, 11:02 AM
orich
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Jklnhyd
I would rather be at 121 in phoenix at 5% humidity, than texas at 91 degrees and 78% humidity.
2x with being in the desert heat vers. in Texas & Vietnam about the same.

Visited and old Nam vet buddy in Magnolia Tex. about 10 yrs ago.

I said Damn Tommy you never had to get use to the humidity & heat in nam as it was about the same here where you live.

Then we had those dang monsoon rains off & on then the sun shines an back to raining.. Does make it very unpleasant wearing the heavy flak jackets. And using a Ponchos only made it worse.
Orich

Old 06-20-2016, 11:38 AM
CougarJohn
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I saw 118 in Twenty-Nine Palms in the early '60s. It was murder. All activity restricted. We used to wash clothes and hang them on lines that ran along the barracks. By the time you hung up your last scivvy shorts, you went back and got the first pair, already dry.
Spit and it never hit the ground.

Old 06-20-2016, 12:27 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 69 Likes on 68 Posts
Sounds rough! I lived at Schofield Barracks, in "B Quad", and the buildings had these huge central air conditioning units with like six huge fans each on them outside. Practically everybody hated the AC and said it was too cold, and blocked off the vent to their barracks room. Not me. This meant about 30 or 40 rooms worth of ice cold air flowed. Had to use my cold weather sleeping bag on top of the blankets, could hang meat in there, but it was awesome. I ****ing hate hot and cold weather.

Old 06-20-2016, 12:41 PM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
Received 139 Likes on 123 Posts
I would rather deal with the cold than hot. Hell I don't even wear a jacket til it's in the 40s. Coldest I've been in was -11 when I was snowboarding and I was happy!

Old 06-20-2016, 12:53 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 69 Likes on 68 Posts
I don't mind cold, down to about freezing. Bitter cold though is just as much a PITA as desert style heat. Nothing mechanical works right, nothing gets done, kills people from exposure, etc.

Old 06-20-2016, 03:52 PM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
Received 139 Likes on 123 Posts
Originally Posted by Tedster9
I don't mind cold, down to about freezing. Bitter cold though is just as much a PITA as desert style heat. Nothing mechanical works right, nothing gets done, kills people from exposure, etc.
Also true, it's trade off either way.

Old 06-20-2016, 05:46 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
I'm productive and functional between 40° and 100° - below or above and it is either too cold or too hot.

But humidity is also a killer. 'Spent a couple of years in TN and VA tolerated it because I had no choice... Ick though!

... don't like rain either.

Old 06-20-2016, 06:00 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 170 Likes on 150 Posts
Grew up with humidity in my home town of Toledo, Ohio. Right on Lake Erie. No thanks. I remember one day was 98 degrees AND 98% humidity. I'll take the 121 degrees and just keep my t-shirt wet with cool water if outside. While that water is evaporating so is my body heat.

Old 06-20-2016, 06:10 PM
emeraldcoupe
Fleet Mechanic
Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts
i'm with you guys, I hate the heat and humidity here in florida. i'm trying to convince my wife to move back up north ( NH ). i'll take cold over hot any day of the week.

Old 06-20-2016, 09:26 PM
68murc
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WAAAAAY up North here in Northern, Ontario, Canada, it got up to 32C (90F) and about 85% humidity on Saturday. It was just gross. I usually hide out in my cool basement when it gets that hot. And the humidity!!! My old truck has never seen rain or snow, but I can watch it rusting. The lowest the humidity gets up here in the summer is 50-60%.

Anything over 30C for us is deadly. -30C in the winter sucks too!!!!

Old 06-20-2016, 10:43 PM
gangstakr
Logistics Pro
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts
I used to like the job I had "Trash Man" back in the day wherever you worked you became accustom to. Regardless weather you drove a rear loader, side loader or front loader, you never had the air on. Why? because you were in areas where kids might be, you were in areas where construction was going on or you were in areas where people were. A good trash man listened and counted things real fast.
Case in point, you pulled into an apt; complex, you see five kids, one ball and a dog, all is good right? Now you start to back up, guess what? you better see five kids, a ball and a dog, Because if you don't, you stop your truck and find them.
You can't do that with the A/C going and windows up.
I drove trash truck for twenty years, never hit anyone nor killed any animals.
Fast forward,
Went to work driving construction equipment, Skip loaders, Graders and water trucks, never used the A/C. Guy's on the crew would get mad because they would have to drive my truck or equipment later in the day, guess what?, It was dirty.... "No one died," it would take me longer at the end of the day to clean my rig but,... "No one died."
My point is, we get used to our climate regardless of temperature. I'm actually 40 miles north of Palm Springs. We or should I say, I used to work on the roads all the way to Blythe. I'm retired now, but I still won't use my A/C, I just like to hear what is happening outside.
Normal temperature on the asphalt ranges between 156° and 160°, now try laying asphalt which comes out of a patch truck or bob tail at, depending on what your doing between 240° and 400° who wants to jump in a truck with A/C when you have five miles or more to do? What is five minutes of cold going to do besides make you sick? Drink water stay hydrated and work steady.
Today it was 113° I worked in my garage. My garage was 125° I did what I had to, then jumped in the POOL!! Life is good when you retire.
I still won't run my A/C unless my wife and daughter are home.

Old 06-20-2016, 11:00 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by gangstakr
I used to like the job I had "Trash Man" back in the day wherever you worked you became accustom to. Regardless weather you drove a rear loader, side loader or front loader, you never had the air on. Why? because you were in areas where kids might be, you were in areas where construction was going on or you were in areas where people were. A good trash man listened and counted things real fast.
Case in point, you pulled into an apt; complex, you see five kids, one ball and a dog, all is good right? Now you start to back up, guess what? you better see five kids, a ball and a dog, Because if you don't, you stop your truck and find them.
You can't do that with the A/C going and windows up.
I drove trash truck for twenty years, never hit anyone nor killed any animals.
Fast forward,
Went to work driving construction equipment, Skip loaders, Graders and water trucks, never used the A/C. Guy's on the crew would get mad because they would have to drive my truck or equipment later in the day, guess what?, It was dirty.... "No one died," it would take me longer at the end of the day to clean my rig but,... "No one died."
My point is, we get used to our climate regardless of temperature. I'm actually 40 miles north of Palm Springs. We or should I say, I used to work on the roads all the way to Blythe. I'm retired now, but I still won't use my A/C, I just like to hear what is happening outside.
Normal temperature on the asphalt ranges between 156° and 160°, now try laying asphalt which comes out of a patch truck or bob tail at, depending on what your doing between 240° and 400° who wants to jump in a truck with A/C when you have five miles or more to do? What is five minutes of cold going to do besides make you sick? Drink water stay hydrated and work steady.
Today it was 113° I worked in my garage. My garage was 125° I did what I had to, then jumped in the POOL!! Life is good when you retire.
I still won't run my A/C unless my wife and daughter are home.
I work on a keyboard and push a mouse. Robert, you are a man of steel.

Old 06-21-2016, 12:15 AM
mountain dewd
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It hits around 115º here in the summer. No humidity, but hot enough to kill people. You cannot leave anything on your dashboard or it will melt, seriously. Some days I can handle the heat, some days I can't go anywhere without going dizzy from the heat.

Old 06-21-2016, 02:33 AM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 170 Likes on 150 Posts
Man, am I glad Garrett started this thread. Now when I go outside to enjoy a little tobacco The desert heat won't bother me as much. Robert, what you went through..... Holy cow. Murc, I got three letters for you Buddy.....OMG. And others here. To me humidity is the worst. When it's hot out the humidity helps that heat get to your core faster. And it makes the cold more bone chilling. Normally I think I'd prefer the cold over the heat since you can add more clothes. But I remember growing up in Toledo. Humidity up and cold air coming from Canada, over Lake Erie which made it worse, and then feeling it. Cold to the bone is an under statement.

Quick Reply: One-Hundred Twenty-One