1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

86 F250 dies around a corner

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 04:25 AM
SVTDriver97
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
86 F250 dies around a corner

Like the title states, my truck dies now when going around a corner. Doesn't matter what direction, if I go around a corner, it'll die half way through and I lose power steering.

Truck is a stock 460 with the 4180 Holley. It was rebuilt over a year ago. Truck has the electric in tank fuel pumps.

Anyone ever experience anything like this?

Old 06-13-2016, 07:25 AM
Hound Dog Lew
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe you may want to check your float levels.

Old 06-13-2016, 08:03 AM
SVTDriver97
More Turbo
Would they be going bad? Or a seal or something?

Old 06-13-2016, 10:55 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,108 Likes on 1,796 Posts
Originally Posted by Hound Dog Lew
I believe you may want to check your float levels.
I would check them just to make sure they are good but they would have to be vary low to stall out around a corner so it I would not think it to be the cause.

Didn't you just post about tach jumping?
With it runing move the wiring going to the dist. And see what happens.
My guess a bad electric connection some where.
Dave - - - -

Old 06-13-2016, 11:02 AM
SVTDriver97
More Turbo
Originally Posted by FuzzFace2
I would check them just to make sure they are good but they would have to be vary low to stall out around a corner so it I would not think it to be the cause.

Didn't you just post about tach jumping?
With it runing move the wiring going to the dist. And see what happens.
My guess a bad electric connection some where.
Dave - - - -
Yeah, I did make a separate post about that, but that does not seem to be the cause of it dying around a corner. It'll start bouncing as I drive down the road, engine will be running fine, but the needle jumps by about 300-600 rpms on the gauge. The engine does not reflect what the needle is doing.

Old 06-13-2016, 12:31 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Does it instantly shut off as if you had turned the key off? Or does it sputter and die as if it runs out of gas? When it stops, are all the electrical accessories (radio, wiper, heater fan, etc.) operational, or not? What does it take to get it restarted and how long does it take?

Old 06-13-2016, 01:24 PM
SVTDriver97
More Turbo
Originally Posted by ctubutis
Does it instantly shut off as if you had turned the key off? Or does it sputter and die as if it runs out of gas? When it stops, are all the electrical accessories (radio, wiper, heater fan, etc.) operational, or not? What does it take to get it restarted and how long does it take?
It slowly putters to death like it's out of gas, and the accessories all operate like normal. To get it going again, takes about 3-5 seconds of cranking to get it going again.

Old 06-13-2016, 01:57 PM
WhatsAChevy?
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Fuel sloshing...dies...carb bowl float. Once the fuel levels out, it starts after a few attempts.
Just a thought.

Old 06-13-2016, 01:59 PM
Braggs
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe a bad ground? I've had problems with my tachometer fluctuating when there was intermittent ground contact. Then when you turn the corner, maybe it comes disconnected completely allowing the truck to die?

Old 06-13-2016, 03:33 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,108 Likes on 1,796 Posts
Originally Posted by Braggs
Maybe a bad ground? I've had problems with my tachometer fluctuating when there was intermittent ground contact. Then when you turn the corner, maybe it comes disconnected completely allowing the truck to die?
And why I said to start moving wires around to see if it happens.

Now if you know carbs where do they put the jets? At the bottom of the fuel float bowl.
If the float level was that low it cut the motor off going around corners you would also have issues driving straight starving for fuel.
You also have 2 jets side by side more to the center not the sides.

I would check the float level just to be sure it is OK and yes it can affect the acell pump squirt.

I have been wrong before but I just cant see the float level the cause.
Dave ----

Old 06-13-2016, 09:38 PM
whisler
Laughing Gas
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Had a similar problem on an old Ford wagon years ago. Turned out to be a defective coil.

Old 06-13-2016, 09:54 PM
Brnfree
Laughing Gas
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by whisler
Had a similar problem on an old Ford wagon years ago. Turned out to be a defective coil.
I also had a bad coil about the same time I had a bouncing tach. Eventually I replaced the coil, cap, rotor, distributor (magnetic pick ups can go bad), and wires all as part of a general housekeeping / ignition system overhaul.

The stock mounting for my coil is horizontal and a few years back I had a coil that leaked out all its oil. Wonder if yours has leaked to the point where you only have a little oil left in the coil and its sloshing around on corners, doing funny things?

Old 06-15-2016, 05:56 PM
SVTDriver97
More Turbo
Originally Posted by FuzzFace2
And why I said to start moving wires around to see if it happens.

Now if you know carbs where do they put the jets? At the bottom of the fuel float bowl.
If the float level was that low it cut the motor off going around corners you would also have issues driving straight starving for fuel.
You also have 2 jets side by side more to the center not the sides.

I would check the float level just to be sure it is OK and yes it can affect the acell pump squirt.

I have been wrong before but I just cant see the float level the cause.
Dave ----
I have also been told that it might be getting too much fuel, but it's not smoking or appear to be running too rich, so I think the floats are screwed up just enough to keep fuel in there during normal driving, but as soon as you hit a corner, it drains. I'll have to have my buddy take a look at it when he gets a chance. For now I can deal with it, just throw her in neutral and keep my foot in it.

Old 06-15-2016, 10:48 PM
kr98664
Lead Driver
Received 693 Likes on 556 Posts
Originally Posted by SVTDriver97
Like the title states, my truck dies now when going around a corner. Doesn't matter what direction, if I go around a corner, it'll die half way through...
Can you lift the truck way up on one side and duplicate the problem for troubleshooting?

Single or dual tanks? Does fuel level and/or tank selection make any difference? Just thinking out loud, wondering if the problem could somehow be at the tank. Ever lose a gas cap and wonder what happened to the rag you stuffed in the filler neck?

Does the engine die as soon as you enter a corner? Or does it happen a few seconds later? If the latter, that would seem to indicate a fuel supply or carb problem. If it was some weird electrical problem, I'd think that would be more instantaneous.

Any chance of a broken engine mount? If the engine could twist, maybe that stretches or bends a fuel hose just right so it shuts off the fuel flow. Probably not likely, as that would only happen in one direction, not both as you've described.

What about throttle setting? Does this happen in all corners whether you're stepping on the gas or letting off? Or is it only at certain throttle settings?

Is that enough questions yet? What's your favorite color? How far is up? Why do socks fall down yet underwear rides up?

Old 06-16-2016, 05:23 PM
SVTDriver97
More Turbo
Originally Posted by kr98664
Can you lift the truck way up on one side and duplicate the problem for troubleshooting?

Single or dual tanks? Does fuel level and/or tank selection make any difference? Just thinking out loud, wondering if the problem could somehow be at the tank. Ever lose a gas cap and wonder what happened to the rag you stuffed in the filler neck?

Does the engine die as soon as you enter a corner? Or does it happen a few seconds later? If the latter, that would seem to indicate a fuel supply or carb problem. If it was some weird electrical problem, I'd think that would be more instantaneous.

Any chance of a broken engine mount? If the engine could twist, maybe that stretches or bends a fuel hose just right so it shuts off the fuel flow. Probably not likely, as that would only happen in one direction, not both as you've described.

What about throttle setting? Does this happen in all corners whether you're stepping on the gas or letting off? Or is it only at certain throttle settings?

Is that enough questions yet? What's your favorite color? How far is up? Why do socks fall down yet underwear rides up?
I wouldn't be able to duplicate it by jacking it up because jacking it up on either side wouldn't get the momentum of the fuel sloshing around to make it die.

It has dual tanks, but the front tank is out while I wait for the last part to come in and then I can re-install the brand new plastic one. The rear one still works fine, and have never had a problem with it either not putting out enough fuel pressure, or not pumping to the carb. I have however noticed, that lately, I have to sit there and crank on it forever before it starts, so I usually have to throw some gas down the carb to kick it off, which also tells me it is probably a float problem.

It happens about 3/4 of the way through the turn. It couldn't be electrical because there aren't any other issues (other than the tach needle starting to jump now during normal operation) I could either be idling, or accelerating or maintaining speed and the needle bounces about 300-400 rpms.

Truck only has 49k original miles on it. I know mounts can break long before that, especially due to age, but there aren't any other signs that would indicate they're broken.

Throttle setting is at the stock setting. There's a sticker on the core support that mentions what the idle should be set at, and looking at the tach when it's in gear shows it's on the money. I found that if I throw her in neutral, and keep the throttle going or at least rev it 1/2 way through the turn, it stays running.

Black. I'd say when you're high enough to get hurt if you fall. Why do we park in driveways and drive on parkways?

Quick Reply: 86 F250 dies around a corner