Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Crank Case Filter Bad?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 09:27 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Osmond4X4
Tear down one of these engines it is alot more than a fog. To each his own.
I might have gone one better. When my intercooler had about 275 K miles, I inspected the internals.

When I saw all the condensation in there, I was rather satisfied that a coating of oil helped to prevent corrosion.

Old 06-11-2016, 09:40 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
^^ never looked at it that way Tug. Me, having R.R. boots, mine are still an oily mess.

Old 06-11-2016, 09:41 AM
Osmond4X4
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly
I might have gone one better. When my intercooler had about 275 K miles, I inspected the internals.

When I saw all the condensation in there, I was rather satisfied that a coating of oil helped to prevent corrosion.
Fair enough. Like I say this is a personal preference mod that can be argued either way thats why these kits exist.

Old 06-11-2016, 11:26 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
I can't give any scientific input whatsoever but I don't see a little oil in there hurting anything, the engine will burn it and I'm not fond of fixing things that aren't broken. Then Tugly's steel in the intercooler puts the icing on it for me, I thought they were all plastic in there.

Old 06-11-2016, 11:28 AM
coax9952
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Osmond4X4
Tear down one of these engines it is alot more than a fog. To each his own.

Trust me, Tug has done more than his share of 7.3 teardowns.....

Old 06-11-2016, 01:45 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by coax9952
Trust me, Tug has done more than his share of 7.3 teardowns.....
With due respect to Tug, I don't think he's torn down a single 7.3L PSD. He's tore INTO them many times (injectors and what-not), but never the engine itself, to my knowledge.

Tug, if I'm wrong, apologies, but I can't remember you ever posting about tearing an engine down.

Stewart

Old 06-11-2016, 02:13 PM
coax9952
Laughing Gas
Well, call me a hick, but anytime you're damn near stripping every part off these things AND giving it a partial Proctology exam to Boot, That's a tear-down in my book, Okay let's call it a PARTIAL teardown, done a lot of times......Potato, patato......

Old 06-11-2016, 02:28 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Well, call me a hick, but anytime you're damn near stripping every part off these things AND giving it a partial Proctology exam to Boot, That's a tear-down in my book, Okay let's call it a PARTIAL teardown, done a lot of times......Potato, patato......
Again, I disagree.

You can tear into an an engine (eg: under the valve covers, the glow plugs, valve springs, injectors, exhaust manifolds, etc) but actually tearing down an engine means parts of the block and internals are being removed. Making a long block a short block, removing the crank, the cam, the pistons, etc.

It's not potato vs potahtoh. It's apples versus oranges. Two different things all together.

To me a partial tear down means removing a cylinder head (or heads), but not the engine internals.

If an engine is torn down, the block itself has been taken apart, If an engine has been torn into, then the block and it's internals are still together, and peripherals are being taken apart.

Stewart

Old 06-11-2016, 03:17 PM
coax9952
Laughing Gas
I acquiesce to your unbounded supply of Knowledge and sense of definition.......

Old 06-11-2016, 03:38 PM
biggdirty7.3
Senior User
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
For the 7.3L PSD: Riffraff Diesel CCV Crankcase Vent Kit for Ford 7.3L 99-03

This is called the CCV Mod.

Also, as others have already posted, that part is called the doghouse.

Stewart

Wow that kit is expensive

Old 06-11-2016, 03:45 PM
duck fan
Because racetruck

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by biggdirty7.3
Wow that kit is expensive
You can put your own kit together for less by using heater hose. The only issue is that the heater hose gets soft and leaches oil over time and is easy to get a kink in. I know that Riffraff and some others use fuel rated hose on their kits so it won't do that and can last to long term use but it does raise the price. Last time I did it 3/4" fuel rated quality hose was about $6 per foot and it made putting the kit together myself more than just buying it.

Old 06-11-2016, 03:48 PM
duck fan
Because racetruck

Originally Posted by Tugly
I wouldn't reroute it. I'm no expert on this, so it warrants further study: I've been informed serious car folk want slightly negative pressure in the crankcase - and the turbo intake is a perfect way to do this. I've even heard of race car drivers installing vacuums on the crankcase.

I could never understand why people freak out that their engine breathing system is getting a nice fog for lubrication.
With respect to Tugly, all International engines came with the CCV vented to the atmosphere through a "Road Draft Tube" and that is what the engine was designed for. The engine doesn't care one way or the other, you can run it how you want, but I prefer the CCV mod because it keep everything clean. Beyond that reason it doesn't really matter, run it how you want.

Old 06-11-2016, 04:21 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
I acquiesce to your unbounded supply of Knowledge and sense of definition.......
Far (FAR) from unbounded.

Very (VERY) bounded...yeah, very bounded indeed. But in this case, I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express.

Stewart

Old 06-11-2016, 09:30 PM
biggdirty7.3
Senior User
Originally Posted by duck fan
You can put your own kit together for less by using heater hose. The only issue is that the heater hose gets soft and leaches oil over time and is easy to get a kink in. I know that Riffraff and some others use fuel rated hose on their kits so it won't do that and can last to long term use but it does raise the price. Last time I did it 3/4" fuel rated quality hose was about $6 per foot and it made putting the kit together myself more than just buying it.

Where should I run the hose . I found a crank case filter at auto zone its a metal canister with an 3/4 inlet and an 1" outlet . Seems like it will do good .

Old 06-11-2016, 11:37 PM
duck fan
Because racetruck

Originally Posted by biggdirty7.3
Where should I run the hose . I found a crank case filter at auto zone its a metal canister with an 3/4 inlet and an 1" outlet . Seems like it will do good .
Search some threads and you will see lots of reasons not to use a filter. They are too restrictive. Just vent to atmosphere or leave it stock.

Quick Reply: Crank Case Filter Bad?