1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

OT Supporting local buisness.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 05:55 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
OT Supporting local buisness.

Any body that knows me, knows that I try to be positive and not dwell on the negative, but this just kind of stunned me. I live in a small town and like most other small towns there is a silent fight to keep the charm that attracted us to the town in the first place and from being swallowed up by corporate chain stores. OK as you may or may not know Im working on my F1 front brakes and decided to take the drums in to be turned even though they probably didn't need it. I chose one of the older privately shops in town (that not that long ago changed hands) to do the job. I called ahead to see if they had time and the guy said sure swing on by. I drive across town walk in and the boss said what can I do for you, and I explained only for him to say, "I have my machine set up for disc rite now ,take em up to O Reilly's. Dumbfounded I said Id rather to keep my business local if he didn't mind, so he he agreed to do em. The point being what happened to caring about customer service, much less increasing you customer base. I apologize for the negative post.

Old 06-07-2016, 06:14 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
I hear ya. Sounds like they don't care. Maybe they never did. Betcha they will sure act surprised when everyone returns the favor, ha ha. Look to see them out of business in a year or two with that attitude.

With online sales and delivery, plus the word-of-mouth reputation factor, any business is behind the eight ball these days if they treat customers poorly. Even the perception.

What's the name? I'm sure they would love to have tens of thousands of people know they are dooshbags.

Old 06-07-2016, 06:24 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 608 Likes on 378 Posts
Sounds like he doesn't know how to set up the machine.

Old 06-07-2016, 06:27 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I would be afraid of leaving my drums with him.

Old 06-07-2016, 07:05 PM
toby tough
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In a small community "word of mouth" is a big deal. I have never advertised and I'm always busy. Those guys will figure it out but only after it's too late. Only takes about 10 minutes maybe to switch to drums. Maybe you wanting to keep it local gave him a clue?

Old 06-07-2016, 07:16 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
Wow. Some folks just don't deserve to be rewarded.

I also have tried to work with locally owned small businesses - every one of them routinely thanks me for buying from them. Hopefully, you'll find that with the other establishments.

Old 06-07-2016, 10:30 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
I wouldn't be so hard on the shop owner...there's probably a lot more to this story than what meets the eye. The way I see it, the owner offered Jimmy a more expedient option to getting his drums turned thinking that he could have them done in less time elsewhere. The owner's actions after the discussion with Jimmy shows that he does in fact value local business.

Say Jimmy...I think that Ron Covell lives in your town, good neighbor to have!

Old 06-07-2016, 10:56 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
That's not what I'm reading. What did you read?

He called ahead.

They said sure, swing on by. Wasn't that the opportunity to explain why he should take them to O'Reilly's, or not?

So he wastes a trip over there - pretty annoying in my book. They say they are setup for disc brakes, take 'em somewhere else.

He's also pissed off enough to post his experience, something that leads me to believe they kinda blew him off.

Old 06-08-2016, 07:44 AM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 543 Likes on 349 Posts
Old 06-08-2016, 08:00 AM
DR Smith
Fleet Mechanic
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
I understand wanting to buy local , and I have been frustrated by small shops that just don't seem to care . I also have found some great places . Now also think about the chains or dealers that are not local . The people that work there are local , the taxes they pay are local , the people that haul there trash are local , and the list goes on .

Old 06-08-2016, 09:46 AM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Tedster9

What's the name? I'm sure they would love to have tens of thousands of people know they are dooshbags.
Wow, pretty quick to condemn this business based on vague, second hand information. Seems to be a common trend on the internet.....and one reason I refuse to engage in "social media". Whining and name calling.

Jimmy, sorry to see you were disappointed, don't give up on the local merchants.

As for O'rielly's, I do a lot of business with them.....they are locally owned, like any franchise, and the parts guys know their stuff

Old 06-08-2016, 11:02 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
What's a social media?

Look, all I'm saying is word of mouth advertising, and reputation is everything - in the internet age. It is a powerful thing. That's a good thing.

Old 06-08-2016, 11:09 AM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Originally Posted by CharlieLed
I wouldn't be so hard on the shop owner...there's probably a lot more to this story than what meets the eye. The way I see it, the owner offered Jimmy a more expedient option to getting his drums turned thinking that he could have them done in less time elsewhere. The owner's actions after the discussion with Jimmy shows that he does in fact value local business.

Say Jimmy...I think that Ron Covell lives in your town, good neighbor to have!
There are a few famous folks in this little town, and they are treated like everyone else which is nice. But I did not know Ron was among them. Yes he would be a nice guy to know and hang out with. Who knows maybe some day he will approach me in my truck and give me some pity pointers.
And thanks for the positive look at what may have happened on the brake drums. It very well could have been like that but got lost in the communication of what was said. Im going to pick them up this am, hopefully some good things will come out of this encounter, and we can turn that negative into a big positive.

Old 06-08-2016, 11:36 AM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Good Morning all, I'm settled down now and having my am coffee, just going thru the posts. This is just another example of how a FTE thread is educational. I started out with a negative post (MyBad) about my drums. After discussion by all parties that posted, the thread has come up with some different points of view on the subject that all help us come to a plausible scenario of what could have happened. Thank you all for you input, I for one have got a lot out of this thread. And isn't that the point. Helping each other.

Old 06-08-2016, 01:20 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Wrap up. I just picked up my drums ,beautifully done $44 for the pair, which Is what I was quoted. I had an excellent encounter this morning with all the guys at the shop in question. Everyone went out of there way to say good morning , and make me feel very comfortable . I guess yesterday everyone there was tired ,hot (it was 100), and I took it personal, and being you guys are my family of sort your the ones I vented to. I'm sorry I did that, but I still think there is much to be learned from this (and all) threads. Well I thank you all for your support. Now lets put this thing to rest and all have a wonderful day, a FTE day.

Quick Reply: OT Supporting local buisness.