1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1949 C.O.E. questions.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 07:58 PM
Bowsandovals
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pweng1
Your rear brakes should have 2 wheel cylinders. Make sure you are getting brake fluid in the secondary wheel cylinder and air is not trapped. I would bleed the booster too i think it is the problem.
I bled the slave cylinder first. Well, technically I bench bled the master cylinder first, then the slave. I was unaware the rear wheels have 2 wheel cylinders each. Do you have pics of that setup?

Old 06-01-2016, 11:58 PM
Mixer man
Logistics Pro
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
This is my F-6 Bendix Hydrovac brake booster.

Bendix Hydrovac

Old 06-02-2016, 12:05 AM
Mixer man
Logistics Pro
Another shot of the vacuum manifold showing the hole in the firewall where the hose goes through to the speedometer transmission. Also shows the dash **** cable connected. Seriously? There is a cable run back to the differential?

Old 06-02-2016, 08:25 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
Here is the diagram for a brake system with two wheel cylinders on the rear.
The catalog says that is for the F-7 and F-8. The COE diagram shows only one wheel cylinder with non booster.
Here is what is shows for F-7 (Q) and F-8(QH)

Here is what is says for COE (Models W and WH)

Old 06-02-2016, 08:26 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
Oh, I forgot to mention. That is one beautiful truck.

Old 06-02-2016, 09:03 AM
49fordv8f4
Cargo Master
Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts
Mixerman, The service manual shows that the Hi-Power (diaphragm type) booster was standard equipment on F6 and optional on F4 and F5. The Bendix Hydrovac was standard Equipment on the F7 and F8 trucks. The 1945-47 1 1/2 and 2 ton trucks could have had either the diaphragm type or the Hydrovac booster as an option. I believe the Hydrovac on an F7 or F8 truck is larger than the model you have on your F6 COE. Of all of the trucks from '42 -'52 that I have seen with boosters on them, I have only seen the Hydrovac, so they may have been installed at some assembly plants instead of the Hi-Power booster. Nothing seems consistent on these trucks. There seems to have been a lot more leeway on using up older parts or using alternate suppliers on the assembly line with trucks than with cars.
Mark
BTW, I have a rebuilt Hydrovac that I won't be using, if interested PM me.

Old 06-02-2016, 10:12 AM
Bowsandovals
Junior User
Originally Posted by Harrier
Oh, I forgot to mention. That is one beautiful truck.
Thanks Harrier, and thanks for the diagram. Mine only has single cylinders in the rear unless there is another brake line jumping to the other cylinder inside the hub area. There are no other bolts or bleeder screws on that hub plate. I did look under the frame last night and the original vacuum line going to the rear diff for the two speed actuator is still there. It is not capped either. Someone installed a simple cable on a bracket. I don't know if it works, I have not been able do drive it any kind of distance because of the brakes. I noticed there is a valve on the Mousetrap game inspired vacuum cluster on the firewall with a cable coming off it in the picture Mixerman posted. Is that for a pull lever inside the truck that then allows vacuum to go to an actuator that shifts the rear end?

Old 06-02-2016, 02:00 PM
Mixer man
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by 49fordv8f4
BTW, I have a rebuilt Hydrovac that I won't be using, if interested PM me.
If it's the same size as mine I'll take it.

Old 06-02-2016, 03:30 PM
Mixer man
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Bowsandovals
I noticed there is a valve on the Mousetrap game inspired vacuum cluster on the firewall with a cable coming off it in the picture Mixerman posted. Is that for a pull lever inside the truck that then allows vacuum to go to an actuator that shifts the rear end?
Yes. The red **** on the dash has a Bowden cable that runs to the valve that serves two functions. I'd love to see the Rube Goldberg setup at the rear axle for shifting it with the cable from the dash, and also how they shift the speedometer.

Old 06-02-2016, 10:55 PM
Bowsandovals
Junior User
Here you go. Prepare to be amazed. Speedometers are over rated in these trucks. Lol. I will try to get a picture under the dash tomorrow.

Attached Images  
Old 06-02-2016, 10:57 PM
Bowsandovals
Junior User
I am missing the grille for the center of the dash. Anyone have a spare they would part with?

Old 06-02-2016, 11:03 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,397 Posts
Originally Posted by Bowsandovals
I am missing the grille for the center of the dash. Anyone have a spare they would part with?
Those are available in reproduction, and not very expensive. Old ones are usually deteriorated past their useful life.

Ford - Ford Pickup Truck Radio Speaker Grille - Beige - F1 - Macs Auto Parts

You can get the matching radio hole cover while you're there. Then, half your interior is restored.

Ford - Ford Pickup Truck Radio Hole Cover - Beige - Ford In Block Letters - Complete With Mounting Brackets To Hold In Dash - F1 - Macs Auto Parts

Old 06-02-2016, 11:11 PM
Bowsandovals
Junior User
I am assuming my truck would require a midland c462 being that the original is no longer available?

Old 06-02-2016, 11:13 PM
Bowsandovals
Junior User
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
Those are available in reproduction, and not very expensive. Old ones are usually deteriorated past their useful life.

Ford - Ford Pickup Truck Radio Speaker Grille - Beige - F1 - Macs Auto Parts

You can get the matching radio hole cover while you're there. Then, half your interior is restored.

Ford - Ford Pickup Truck Radio Hole Cover - Beige - Ford In Block Letters - Complete With Mounting Brackets To Hold In Dash - F1 - Macs Auto Parts
Good to know. Thats funny. Not much in these cabs. How about the tagboard that snaps into the roof and sides?

Old 06-02-2016, 11:29 PM
Mixer man
Logistics Pro
I think I have a new one you can have for the postage.

Quick Reply: 1949 C.O.E. questions.