Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Ford F150 vs Chevy Silverado

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 11:07 AM
SoftwareDeveloper
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Ford F150 vs Chevy Silverado

What are some disadvantages and advantages of these trucks?

Yesterday I ate at a nice rib and brisket restaurant and an older man gave me a compliment on my new red wing heritage boots...After a while I started talking and they invited me to sit with them. You can tell these were hardcore 100% real ranchers, talking about how many cattle and different animals they have and that one of them sold to a big chain etc...

Well during the conversation I told them I wanted to get a truck and I said which one do you guys recommend? These are some exact sentences I remember:

1. "Chevy all the way baby"
2. "Get yourself a silverado, they last ages"
3. "Looks like we all drive chevys hear, except billy has that old bronco hahaha".

So it was about 6 chevys vs 1 ford bronco. This is so hard for me I don't know what to do. I love the way the ford looks in the front tough I just dont know why so many of these wealthy ranchers prefer chevys...

Old 05-30-2016, 12:17 PM
brokenleg
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
There will be people that will only drive Fords, others will only drive chevys, and others will drive only Dodge/Rams. Ive had chevy and Ford. Ive had good luck with both. now I prefer Ford.

Old 05-30-2016, 12:56 PM
Jus Cruisin
Senior User
Neither are bad. If GM had more up to date technology, I would own one. The 6.2l is one bad engine. Same basic engine that is used in the Corvette and can handle a supercharger. I think the latest GMC has the most "truck" looking front end of the two. Get the one with the features that suit your needs.

Old 05-30-2016, 12:56 PM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 214 Likes on 180 Posts
Truck brand loyalty is sort of like religion. If you find someone that is passionate about their religion (whatever it is), there is no amount of argument/persuasion that will get them to change their minds. Tolerance baby.

Old 05-30-2016, 02:04 PM
bgil
New User
I had 2 tundras, and currently own a 2015 ram hemi.

I drove 2 new silverados and 2 new f150's, and I must say I liked the way
the fords drove and I thought the interior in the Fords was more modern.
I am also a fan of the ecoboost engines.

I think all the modern trucks are pretty good these days. If you believe consumer reports, they rate the Tundra #1, ford #2, Ram #3 and silverado #4 in reliability...On any of these, you are not going to get to know your mechanic on a first name basis.

Just go drive them and see what YOU think.

Old 05-30-2016, 02:59 PM
JKBrad
Received 804 Likes on 589 Posts
It's not this way anymore. When I was a kid, you used to be able to tell what brand of car dealer was in a small town based on the majority of truck brands you saw in the area. If the town had a Ford dealer the majority of pickups were Fords. That was based on practicality. Most small towns only had one dealer, so the next town over might have a Chevy dealer. Only larger towns or cities had multiple dealers to choose from. This helped build brand loyalty that runs deep. Ask some people under 40 for a recomendation and the die hard loyalty won't be as important to them. So, you probably got a group of guys who were raised on Chevys.

Old 05-30-2016, 03:58 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Some good comments above, and I think it really boils down to individual preference. I don't think anyone builds a bad truck, so you should take a good look at both and buy whichever one you like more.

Nobody builds a pickup truck that I wouldn't own, but I've had more Fords than anything else.

Old 05-30-2016, 04:55 PM
airm4n
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Some of it could be past experience. I know that I like the ride of chevy's more but when I was driving them in the bush 50,000km and they were junk. Fords lasted almost twice as long in my experience with the same abuse but you needed a new spine when you were done. These were all 3/4 ton and 1 ton's though.

Growing up on a farm we had at the same time no less a 1 ton ford, one of those older toyota diesel pickups and a dodge half ton. I prefered the toyota diesel more because it was small and seemed to run until the body rusted off and you had to watch for mud puddles unless you wanted a bath going through the field.

Complaints i've heard on the dodge half tons especially on the lower trim packages is that short people can't see anything and their seats aren't adjustable enough for them to even reach the pedals.

Complaints on the chevy half tons i've heard are that the gas engines in the half tons aside from the 6.2L (which apparenty is a very pricey option) are gutless and you can't tow as well.

Complaints on the ford half tons used to be gas mileage and a bit harsher ride from the people i've talked to but not sure on the newer engines what kinds of mileages people are getting. My 07 F150 gets 15.5mpg and hasn't changed in the 100,000km i've put on.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 05-30-2016, 06:46 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,222 Likes on 804 Posts
A customer that I speak to quite frequently about trucks and such asked me what I would do if I bailed on Ford. I shocked him when I said I'd go after a Tundra in a minute. Yes, it may be dated, interior is inferior, but it's a danged reliable truck and that's really all I care about.

Old 05-30-2016, 06:49 PM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
I agree that past experience has a lot to do with it. We had an "el cheapo" truck before we got the Tundra in 2005. We needed a little bit bigger, but reliable truck. Over the years I had watched my brother-in-law bounce between Chevy and Ford. It seemed no matter which one he got, it was "always something" going wrong. He was beyond frustrated.

So we gambled on the Tundra. It was big enough, and it wasn't a Chevy or a Ford. It was a great truck. I told my brother-in-law about it; we compared notes, and he traded his latest Ford or Chevy (I don't remember which he had at the time) for a Tundra. He still has it, and it's still going strong. Other than the things he has broken or worn out; no issues. He's been really happy.

Then the Tundra became full size, and we decided that in 2008, it was more truck than we needed, and we got (instead of another Tundra) a Tacoma. Well, that was a great truck too. Very happy with that decision; it just ran and ran.

Similar in 2010 with the full size Tacoma, and again in 2012 with the access cab Tacoma.

In 2015, I thought about it long and hard. We now needed a bigger truck, and the full slate was in the decision tree. Ford, Toyota, and Chevy. I really didn't care for the looks of the Chevy, and hey, you've got to look at the thing. So it was down to Ford or Toyota.

Prices were similar, but in the end, the Ford won. We've had it almost a year now (June 6 is the day we got it last year), and so far, so good. Fit and finish on it does not measure up to the Toyotas. But as far as doing the job, it's a good truck. We'll see how it's doing in 2018.

Old 05-30-2016, 06:52 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
Yes, it may be dated, interior is inferior, but it's a danged reliable truck and that's really all I care about.
Oh Tim...if that was all you cared about you'd be Prius, they're about the most reliable things on the road and cheaper than an F150.

I like the Tundra on that front, but I don't know that I would ever be happy with the fuel economy. Gas is cheap at the moment, but that doesn't mean it will be forever, and that 5.7L V8 is arguably the thirstiest powerplant on the market today. Good truck though.

Old 05-30-2016, 07:05 PM
Jus Cruisin
Senior User
What does a Toyota have to do with a question about Ford and Chevrolet?

Old 05-30-2016, 07:23 PM
Larietpsd
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The only half ton truck that can even come to the party with a f150 would be a ram, Chevy? No comparison buddy non at all go buy one and report back in 6mos!!

Old 05-30-2016, 08:50 PM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
See? The Ram is not even on my radar.

Old 05-31-2016, 12:16 AM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts
Advantage Ford - EcoBoost. Disadvantage Chevy - No EcoBoost.

Quick Reply: Ford F150 vs Chevy Silverado