In way over my head

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 04:32 PM
luv_my_stang67
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In way over my head

So a couple months ago I decided it was time to scratch the rat rod itch I've had for a while. A buddy of mine was unable to work on his project truck and desperately needed to get rid of it, so he let me have everything in the storage unit for $1500. Once the initial high of getting my first hot/rat rod I realized just how screwed I was. I picked up a 302/C4 combo that came out of a running '69 Mustang for with high hopes of building a nice rat rod. I have since discovered that I don't have near the knowledge or ability to put this thing together, not to mention, being an AA most of the traditional Model A parts won't match up. A buddy owns a shop and said I should've shopped around and found something that was closer to being on the road and finished with "you wanted to do a Model A build, that's fine, but you aren't getting your feet wet with this truck, you jumped into shark infested waters, that is definitely not the truck to learn on."

Advice would be much appreciated. If anyone may be interested, shoot me an offer and we'll see if we can work something out. I'll get some pictures up when I get home.

Old 05-23-2016, 06:28 PM
19fifty4
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Sounds like to me you are in pretty good shape to me. You figured it out pretty quickly...there are guys out there that will never realize or admit that they bit off more than they can chew. And they will be in it for a lot more than $1500 once all is said and done.

You should be able to recoup some if not all of that $$ on Craigslist.

Old 05-23-2016, 07:08 PM
luv_my_stang67
Freshman User
Pictures

I don't expect to make much profit given the bits and pieces I've picked up. If I were to list it for sale right now I'd ask $2750 mainly because the engine and trans willbe included, but if someone came up with $2500 cash, I'd help them load it. If I get suspension hung and make it a rolling chassis with the engine mounted I'd ask $4k obo.

Here are a few pics.

Old 05-23-2016, 07:15 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
Looks like a lot of good stuff for the money but I prefer my AAs with a bronze worm gear in the rear axle and a shakey old 4 banger under the hood. But lots of guys like to get on down the road so I hope you get your money. And yes you found out in time. You must have a high IQ.

Old 05-23-2016, 11:01 PM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Well don't feel bad, it's a movie lots of enthusiastic people have been to. And good luck getting it sold but you might have to also come to the realization that it isn't anywhere near $2500 worth of bits and pieces.

Old 05-24-2016, 07:11 PM
luv_my_stang67
Freshman User
Originally Posted by willowbilly3
Well don't feel bad, it's a movie lots of enthusiastic people have been to. And good luck getting it sold but you might have to also come to the realization that it isn't anywhere near $2500 worth of bits and pieces.
I'll see how it goes and adjust pricing accordingly depending on offers or if it sits at the same price for a couple weeks without any inquiries

Old 05-26-2016, 08:54 AM
FireEngineMike
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Good luck selling it; glad you discovered your quandary early on. I cannot believe what people start with and through skill, learning, sweat, skinned knuckles, and perseverance, lots and lots of perseverance, wind up with stunning trucks. Or at least trucks that go down the road mostly safely and reliably. Here's to all that perseverance!

Old 05-26-2016, 09:33 AM
luv_my_stang67
Freshman User
You forgot the main reason that so many projects go unfinished, $$$. I would love to see this thing go down the road but in the condition that it's in, it is not a cost effective learning curve for me. I don't know anything about Model As let alone AAs, taking this thing apart was the first time I'd turned a wrench on any car/truck pre-1963, bikes I've worked on as early as '41. I just don't have the connections or knowledge that is needed for this build. Dragsters I know, I can cram a 408 stroker and a 4-link in an F-150, tub it, cage it and send it down the 1/4 mile, but hot rods are on a different side of the fabrication world that I am not well versed in.

Old 05-26-2016, 08:04 PM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
It's all the same skill sets basically. If you've done all those things, you should hit the ground running on a rod. The only difference might be that you have to engineer and fabricate where with the later and more popular stuff you can just buy the components or kits. The money thing is always a biggy. I buy and sell old parts and project cars and it's amazing how many I find that were bought by someone with no real tools or talent with plans to "restore" it. About half just get tore all to rat pooey, some get brakes and a few new pieces or parts cleaned and rattled canned. Many just sit and rot, like the 53 Imperial I got a couple months ago. Guy finally dies and his widow sold it to me. But you never know until you wade in.