1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

5.0 swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 06:00 AM
Warwaggon92
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.0 swap

I have a 92 ranger extended cab and 6' bed. 5 speed.4x4. ...engine just lost a cylinder and I figure it's underpowered anyway because I use it for work and have about a thousand pounds in the rear.

I want to put a 92 Ford Bronco 5.0 automatic trans in it. Four-wheel drive as well (both 92 so it should help with the electrical part). Am I going to have any clearance issues? I have a 2" body lift and a 3" suspension lift on my ranger.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:22 PM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Welcome to FTE.
We don't know which engine you now have in this puppy & if your going to rebuild, or replace it too???

Old 05-21-2016, 09:49 PM
ranger pat
Cargo Master
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Take a measurement from the front of the fan to the rear of the transfer case and compare that to the distance between your radiator and the front of your gas tank. I believe the combination of a C-6 transmission and 2 speed transfer case will exceed the available space and about cut your gas tank in half. 5.0L Explorers used a version of the smaller AOD and used a smaller single speed transfer case version of AWD. Also note the 5.0L Explorers had torsion bar front suspension vs the older Ranger twin I-beam/coil spring suspension. For a work truck, I would probably just rebuild the original 2.9L or 4.0L engine.

Old 05-22-2016, 11:56 AM
Warwaggon92
New User
I have a 4.0 .....I don't like the lack of power and I hate having the 5 speed because of the lack of power. 5.0 is the way I'd like to go. .....my only concern is will the trans and transfer case be too long.

Old 05-22-2016, 12:01 PM
Warwaggon92
New User
This truck is a work Truck yes.... but it's my baby. It's in cased with diamond plate on the cap and has led light bars in front and rear. Has tube bumpers and rhino bars and step bars. ....the body is mint and I've always dreamed of putting a 5.0 in it.

Old 05-22-2016, 12:04 PM
Warwaggon92
New User
Old 05-22-2016, 02:19 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 971 Likes on 767 Posts
Have you seen this... Ford Ranger V-8 Engine Swap

Old 05-22-2016, 06:34 PM
Warwaggon92
New User
Ty. Yes obviously I'm a novice.

I see now what you mean by the c4 vs c6. ....if i need to get a c4 I think I'll just get one rebuilt at this point. I'll send the c6 in as the core charge and say **** it. ...the truck will last me another 7 years for 5k worth of improvements. ....hopefully the extended cab allows me to use the c6.

Old 05-22-2016, 06:41 PM
Kruse
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Conanski
Have you seen this... Ford Ranger V-8 Engine Swap
First, I've got to admit that I've never put a small block Ford into a Ranger and I have no desire to do so. Okay, since that comment is out in the open....
I've seen that article before and it has some good tips. I'm sure it will save many hours for somebody who is doing the swap. As for that swap, I have a few comments:

"For a V-8 swap using a carburetor, I recommend using an early to mid 1970's Duraspark II ignition." An early 70s Duraspark ignition? Good luck with that one. '74 maybe,,,'75, okay.

"The most popular automatic transmission used in a V8 swap is the Ford C4 3-speed automatic." The most popular? Okay, but that's probably one that I'd stay away from, especially if the owner wants to utilize all that new power.

"Stock carburetors work OK on an off-road truck." Off road, maybe, especially when it's 50 degrees, or colder. But I'd hate to drive a 302 c.i. carbureted engine crammed into a Ranger engine compartment on modern gas in stop-and-go traffic on a hot day. I hate vapor lock...

Okay, I'll stop the bashing of putting a small block into a Ranger now. It's not my truck and I won't be the one putting up with it. I can't believe I'd ever recommend a Chevy, but isn't putting a SBC into an S10 a lot easier?

One again, since this isn't my truck, my opinion means nothing, but I'd just buy a truck that already has more power already installed, especially if this is my work truck and the truck will be DOA for weeks (or more) while this swap is completed.
ANYWAY, good luck with your swap.

Old 05-22-2016, 09:20 PM
Ford'05HG
Elder User
If I were you, I'd drop the 5.0 idea, and go for a 4.6 2v. Probably an easier find, probably cheaper, and probably easier to make power with. I am intending to drop a 4.6 4v in my regular cab for racing purposes one day. That is, when the 2.5L 4 cylinder in it gives up, or it reaches a half a million. Whichever comes first.

The 4.6 IMO is a better motor because increased reliability, better power, and better fuel economy. They can also (from what I've heard) be hooked up to a stock ranger 5 spd manual and run that way. Sure, you'll get the group of haters than despise the 2v because of its spark plug issues, and the 3v motors will be hated for their cam phasers.

I don't know where I'm going with this for sure , but I think I'm trying to say, don't look at this as a cheap project. In the race car building world there's a saying, "Cheap, Reliable, Fast. Pick two". Same can be applied to towing, you want strong and reliable trucks you gotta cough up the bucks.

If I were you, I understand a strong connection to cars, (I'd never buy a car I didn't plan on keeping forever. That's why I buy Fords!), look around for an old OBS Ford F250 or F350 7.3L. It'll do everything you're hoping for, and will give you the ability to not subject you favorite ranger to the everyday dangers of daily driving. You never know what's around the corner, you could complete the V8 swap, and hydroplane the next week into on coming traffic and total your poor truck. Think about it.

Old 05-22-2016, 09:53 PM
Kruse
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Ford'05HG
If I were you, I'd drop the 5.0 idea, and go for a 4.6 2v. Probably an easier find, probably cheaper, and probably easier to make power with.
The 4.6 would be fuel injected only, a good thing. Anymore, it would probably (probably...) be cheaper than a good 302, another good thing. Yes, you can make good power with a 4.6 also.
However, have you grabbed a tape measure and measured exactly how wide a 4.6 engine is? I'm not saying a 4.6 engine couldn't fit into a Ranger, I'm just saying there would be severe challenges. Edit: A quick Google search shows that a few people have done it....

Old 05-22-2016, 09:58 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,599 Likes on 1,304 Posts
The 4.6 motors, 2v and especially the 4v, are much wider than the old 302.

And they will not bolt up to the Ranger trans. That trans has the German V6 pattern, and 4.6 motors have the Modular pattern bell.

I have an OHV Exploder and for the chassis and brakes it has almost enough power. IMO I'd stick with the 4.0, maybe massage the heads, explore a cam, put some JBA shorties on it and drive it. JMO, ymmv, but you are diving into a deep pool with this swap and you can expect to have your truck out of commission for about double the time you plan.

Old 05-22-2016, 10:18 PM
Kruse
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by 85e150six4mtod
The 4.6 motors, 2v and especially the 4v, are much wider than the old 302.
I just looked up a few "4.6 into a Ranger" threads. Looks like a royal PITA, especially in the exhaust and steering department. I also saw a few threads where the OP simply stopped posting about the progress about 3/4 of the way through, meaning they simply gave up.

Old 05-23-2016, 04:05 PM
Ford'05HG
Elder User
I believe it's the pre 98 models that had trouble fitting the 4.6 motors. Beyond them, I read the newer from suspension leaves a good bit of room for the swap.

Old 07-24-2017, 04:36 PM
Warwaggon92
New User
So the v8 is in. Trans is in. Now it won't shift in drive because the Speedo doesn't work. Does anyone know where the speed control is in a 92 bronco? Is it in the transfer case or is it in the rear axel?

Quick Reply: 5.0 swap