1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 6.2L Exhaust Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 10:09 PM
jwilso98
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 6.2L Exhaust Help

Hey guys, new to the forum and have a quick question. I just ordered a magnaflow muffler 5x11 and 22" long. Always had exhausts on my trucks so wanting a little more sound on this one. Question is, should I remove the huge resonator that's after the cats? I know it will make the exhaust a little louder but will it help in performance/air flow much? Any help would be greatly appreciated, cheers.

Old 05-19-2016, 11:59 PM
auburngrad
Senior User
All its really going to do is make it louder. Not much power to be gained

Old 05-20-2016, 09:59 AM
jwilso98
Freshman User
Originally Posted by auburngrad
All its really going to do is make it louder. Not much power to be gained
Okay thanks, just wanted to make sure. The wife would definitely prefer it to be on the quieter side ha.

Old 05-20-2016, 05:00 PM
sarvas62
New User
Originally Posted by jwilso98
Hey guys, new to the forum and have a quick question. I just ordered a magnaflow muffler 5x11 and 22" long. Always had exhausts on my trucks so wanting a little more sound on this one. Question is, should I remove the huge resonator that's after the cats? I know it will make the exhaust a little louder but will it help in performance/air flow much? Any help would be greatly appreciated, cheers.
For my '12, I went and removed the second muffler (closer to the rear) and left the first muffler and resonator. Cut it out and welded a new section to the factory piping. Best $100 spent. Gives it a nice rumble and sound, with no rasp (especially in the low to mid range) and not too loud at all, could be louder and still not bother me. Just a cheaper alternative for you. The mufflers are slip on so if you take a couple ratchet straps, take the clamp off, and with the use of some force it should come apart. So you can at least give it a listen without having to permanently cut something.

Old 05-20-2016, 10:53 PM
jwilso98
Freshman User
Originally Posted by sarvas62
For my '12, I went and removed the second muffler (closer to the rear) and left the first muffler and resonator. Cut it out and welded a new section to the factory piping. Best $100 spent. Gives it a nice rumble and sound, with no rasp (especially in the low to mid range) and not too loud at all, could be louder and still not bother me. Just a cheaper alternative for you. The mufflers are slip on so if you take a couple ratchet straps, take the clamp off, and with the use of some force it should come apart. So you can at least give it a listen without having to permanently cut something.
Thanks for the input man. I've already bought the muffler so going to go ahead and swap them out, but it looks like my truck just has one muffler before the rear axle and then two resonators before the muffler. Are the '12s different from the '15s or have I missed a muffler? Also, I'm thinking about replacing the tiny resonator with piping and just have the one big one to have a tad more sound.

Old 05-20-2016, 11:32 PM
RainDesert
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
From the cats, there is the 2 into 1 resonator and then on crew/super cabs there is the small resonator, then lastly the muffler. I ran mine with the muffler off for awhile but it had too much drone for me. I think I would rather replace the muffler and the small resonator with a magna flow muffler if I was to do it again.

Old 05-21-2016, 09:34 AM
jwilso98
Freshman User
Originally Posted by RainDesert
From the cats, there is the 2 into 1 resonator and then on crew/super cabs there is the small resonator, then lastly the muffler. I ran mine with the muffler off for awhile but it had too much drone for me. I think I would rather replace the muffler and the small resonator with a magna flow muffler if I was to do it again.
Okay cool, so you think the best sound would be replacing with the magnaflow muffler I got and removing the small resonator? That was the route I was leaning towards after getting all the feedback, appreciate yalls help.

Old 05-21-2016, 09:52 AM
RainDesert
Cargo Master
Yeah I think that will sound great. I don't think the small resonator does much, I just prefer the cleaner look of it gone. I think Mangaflow also makes a ypipe to replace the front resonator if you ever got interested in that.

Old 05-21-2016, 03:18 PM
jwilso98
Freshman User
Originally Posted by RainDesert
Yeah I think that will sound great. I don't think the small resonator does much, I just prefer the cleaner look of it gone. I think Mangaflow also makes a ypipe to replace the front resonator if you ever got interested in that.
Yea I do too. Okay I'll see how it sounds with the big resonator still there, I get it put on Tuesday. If it's not loud enough for me I might get the y pipe and take it off also.

Old 05-21-2016, 04:15 PM
KH338
Mountain Pass
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Yea I do too. Okay I'll see how it sounds with the big resonator still there, I get it put on Tuesday. If it's not loud enough for me I might get the y pipe and take it off also.
They don't sell the y pipe separately. You can order system #19174 and get all the parts you'll need. It does increase the noise, but not a lot and it does give better throttle response off the bottom. The kit is the cheapest option.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:51 PM
sarvas62
New User
Thanks for the input man. I've already bought the muffler so going to go ahead and swap them out, but it looks like my truck just has one muffler before the rear axle and then two resonators before the muffler. Are the '12s different from the '15s or have I missed a muffler? Also, I'm thinking about replacing the tiny resonator with piping and just have the one big one to have a tad more sound.
yeah might as well use it then for sure. When i was saying the first muffler, i ment the first 2 into 1 resonator, typing to fast on my phone lol.

Old 05-22-2016, 07:43 PM
jwilso98
Freshman User
Originally Posted by WFO338
They don't sell the y pipe separately. You can order system #19174 and get all the parts you'll need. It does increase the noise, but not a lot and it does give better throttle response off the bottom. The kit is the cheapest option.
Oh okay. Well I ordered the muffler separately so I'm going to try just that with no small resonator first. Might see if my local shop can make a y pipe if I do decide to later take off the larger one.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:16 AM
jwilso98
Freshman User
So just to give an update, I had the muffler installed on Thursday before heading out for the long weekend. I ended up just doing the muffler swap and leaving the small resonator since my shop told me it wouldn't make any difference removing that one. There is not much sound difference when normal driving, just a little deeper tone. When I get on it, there is a nice deep growl over the engine noise. Maybe it's just in my head, but there does seem to be a little more low end power/throttle response under 2k rpm where before it felt a little sluggish. All in all I'm happy with it, wish it was a little louder but it might get that way after some mileage.

Old 06-08-2016, 04:32 PM
jwilso98
Freshman User
Okay guys I've got another question and want to hear your thoughts. I'm wanting more sound and see if there is any performance difference with the big resonator off. I'm thinking about getting a 5" round magnaflow straight through muffler to put in place of the resonator and my shop can make a y pipe for it. Do you think this will cause some drone in the cab or still be okay? I know you're thinking why not save some money and just put some piping in place of the resonator but I'm afraid that will be too loud for me (my wife).

Old 06-09-2016, 08:32 PM
RainDesert
Cargo Master
I think that may be a waste of time/$. The resonators are basically a straight-thru muffler with small baffles. You would be replacing one with another. I would eliminate the small one first and see if it adds enough sound for you.
My other suggestion would be to check out Raptor forums and see what has worked on their 6.2's.

Quick Reply: 2015 6.2L Exhaust Help